Re: [HACKERS] Postgres mailing lists - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Don Baccus
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Postgres mailing lists
Date
List pgsql-sql
At 02:16 PM 6/16/99 +1000, Chris Bitmead wrote:

>Is it really necessary that the mailing lists block "non-member
>submissions"?. I have several email addresses and this is rather
>inconvenient.

In my experiences with other mailing lists - yes.  If the
mailing list address shows up anywhere accessible by
web spiders, it will be found, and the list will be hit
by spam.

So I guess the question is really "which is worse, getting
hit by occassional spam or having to post from a subscribed
e-mail address?"

I have two e-mail addresses, one which I use for personal
e-mail and lists, so the answer's easy for me.  Keep it
closed to subscribers.

If no one anywhere has the e-mail address of the list on
a spider-accesible web page, then opening it *might*
work unless...

Anyone ever posts the list address to Usenet.

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <dhogaza@pacifier.com> Nature photos, on-line guides, and other goodies at
http://donb.photo.net