intializing problem with postgresql-8.0.4-binaries-no-installer.zip

From
Shahid Manzoor
Date:
Hi,

I want to run the postgresql-8.0.4-binaries-no-installer.zip version
of the postgresql in windows 2000 environment. When I run initdb
command I got the following error message.

D:\softwares\postgresql-8.0.4-binaries-no-installer\pgsql\bin>initdb -D ../data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "shma001".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale English_United Kingdom.125
.

fixing permissions on existing directory ../data ... ok
creating directory ../data/global ... ok
creating directory ../data/pg_xlog ... ok
creating directory ../data/pg_xlog/archive_status ... ok
creating directory ../data/pg_clog ... ok
creating directory ../data/pg_subtrans ... ok
creating directory ../data/base ... ok
creating directory ../data/base/1 ... ok
creating directory ../data/pg_tblspc ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 10
selecting default shared_buffers ... 50
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in ../data/base/1 ... Execution of PostgreSQL by a
ser with administrative permissions is not
permitted.
The server must be started under an unprivileged user ID to prevent
possible system security compromises.  See the documentation for
more information on how to properly start the server.
child process was terminated by signal 1
initdb: removing contents of data directory "../data"

Can I any body tell me how to run this version of postgresql server.

regards,

--
Shahid Manzoor

Re: intializing problem with postgresql-8.0.4-binaries-no-installer.zip

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Shahid Manzoor wrote:
> The server must be started under an unprivileged user ID to prevent
> possible system security compromises.  See the documentation for
> more information on how to properly start the server.
> child process was terminated by signal 1
> initdb: removing contents of data directory "../data"
>
> Can I any body tell me how to run this version of postgresql server.

Please read the advice printed by initdb.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: intializing problem with postgresql-8.0.4-binaries-no-installer.zip

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
> Hi,
>

> I want to run the postgresql-8.0.4-binaries-no-installer.zip version
> of the postgresql in windows 2000 environment. When I run initdb
> command I got the following error message.

> The server must be started under an unprivileged user ID to prevent

You cannot init or run the server from an admin account.  The easiest
thing to do is create a user and add to 'backup operator' group.  Then
do a runas to open command under that user context and do initdb.

Merlin

Re: intializing problem with postgresql-8.0.4-binaries-no-installer.zip

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> > I want to run the
> postgresql-8.0.4-binaries-no-installer.zip version
> > of the postgresql in windows 2000 environment. When I run initdb
> > command I got the following error message.
>
> > The server must be started under an unprivileged user ID to prevent
>
> You cannot init or run the server from an admin account.  The
> easiest thing to do is create a user and add to 'backup
> operator' group.  Then do a runas to open command under that
> user context and do initdb.

I would strongly advise you *not* to use the Backup Operators group -
that's a potential security problem.

Instead, grant he account the "log on locally" user right, if you want
to run it with runas.

//Magnus

Date:
> You cannot init or run the server from an admin account.  The easiest
> thing to do is create a user and add to 'backup operator' group.  Then
> do a runas to open command under that user context and do initdb.

I am going to have to retract this.  While it is easiest to get pg
running manually from within backup operator group, this is not secure.

Merlin