Help with timeouts

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Folks,

I have a very complex database operation that can sometimes take 70-90
seconds to return results.  The web page which displays the results,
however, seems to always timeout at 60seconds despite setting the Apache
timeout to 300 seconds and set_time_limit to 240.

My client is going berserk.  $50 (USD) to the non-political charity of
your choice if you can give me a suggestion that works.

SuSE Linux 7.2
PostgreSQL 7.1.2
PHP 4.0.3

-Josh Berkus

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com

Re: Help with timeouts

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Folks,

Some answers:

> I have a very complex database operation that can sometimes take
> 70-90
> seconds to return results. The web page which displays the results,
> however, seems to always timeout at 60seconds despite setting the
> Apache
> timeout to 300 seconds and set_time_limit to 240.

After a helpful web guru called us up from our post, we were able to
diagnose what's happening here (donation to be announced later):

Regardless of the Timeout and set_time_limit() settings, most browsers
will time out at 60 seconds.

This is obviously a huge annoyance. Therefore I am offering a *second*
charity prize to any person who can give me code (PHP or Perl) which
will display a "Processing" screen with an auto-reload to keep the
browser interested while waiting 60 to 120 seconds for a database
response in the background. *Someone* must have done this already, even
though multi-threading in PHP & Perl is nigh impossible.

-Josh Berkus

Attachment

Re: Help with timeouts

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
I think the assumption is incorrect.  Is the browser reporting the timeout,
or is the webserver telling the browser it timed out?

As an example of a difference, IE will display a local page saying the
connection timed out, whereas if the page is actually displayed by the
wbserver, it is the server that finally killed the connection.

Again, as I said before, look at your php.ini file

specifically this parameter:

max_execution_time = 30     ; Maximum execution time of each script, in
seconds

If a script takes longer than that number, it will kill it.  This is to
prevent infinite loops.  Up this number and you should be ok.

I've had browsers that have sat for well over a minute on a stalled page.

Again, breast cancer research for both donations.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com

----

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Help with timeouts

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
Ooops!

I realise I sent my original answer to a wrong list.  Sorry.
-
Look at the script timeout settings in php.ini... not the httpd.conf.

Send the $50 a breast cancer charity... or me.

----

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Help with timeouts

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
Also, that whole auto-load is theoretically impossible...  You "reload the
page" and you are restarting the script from scratch.

----

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Help with timeouts

From
"Papp Gyozo"
Date:
Hello,

from the PHP manual:
"
Note: The set_time_limit() function and the configuration directive
max_execution_time only affect the execution time of the script itself. Any
time spent on activity that happens outside the execution of the script such
as system calls using system(), the sleep() function, database queries, etc.
is not included when determining the maximum time that the script has been
running.
"

So is there anything you forgot to mention ;)
I mean everything works fine except this query or you couldn't test the page
without the result.

Have you tried to optimize this query?
Maybe post to this list and wait for some suggestions...

> I have a very complex database operation that can sometimes take 70-90
> seconds to return results.  The web page which displays the results,
> however, seems to always timeout at 60seconds despite setting the Apache
> timeout to 300 seconds and set_time_limit to 240.
>
> My client is going berserk.  $50 (USD) to the non-political charity of
> your choice if you can give me a suggestion that works.
>
> SuSE Linux 7.2
> PostgreSQL 7.1.2
> PHP 4.0.3
>
> -Josh Berkus
>

> ______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________
>                                        Josh Berkus
>   Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com
>    and data management solutions       (415) 565-7293
>   for law firms, small businesses        fax 621-2533
>     and non-profit organizations.      San Francisco

Re: Help with timeouts

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
Hmmm.... that's odd.  I had a friend that had a query that took a long time
and we changed that and it worked... weird.

Well, ignore my posts then.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com
> Note: The set_time_limit() function and the configuration directive
> max_execution_time only affect the execution time of the script itself.
Any
> time spent on activity that happens outside the execution of the script
such
> as system calls using system(), the sleep() function, database queries,
etc.
> is not included when determining the maximum time that the script has been
> running.
> "
>
> So is there anything you forgot to mention ;)
> I mean everything works fine except this query or you couldn't test the
page
> without the result.
>
> Have you tried to optimize this query?
> Maybe post to this list and wait for some suggestions...

Re: Help with timeouts

From
"Mitch Vincent"
Date:
If he was using set_time_limit() it should have overridden the
max_execution_time configuration in php.ini though, right?

It seems to work for me, I use set_time_limit(1000) in a few places
(especially in the reports) of the app I'm working on right now and it seems
to do just what http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.set-time-limit.php
says it should.. Perhaps I'm doing something else different though...

You should keep your money, these lists are here for such help!

Good luck!

-Mitch

> I think the assumption is incorrect.  Is the browser reporting the
timeout,
> or is the webserver telling the browser it timed out?
>
> As an example of a difference, IE will display a local page saying the
> connection timed out, whereas if the page is actually displayed by the
> wbserver, it is the server that finally killed the connection.
>
> Again, as I said before, look at your php.ini file
>
> specifically this parameter:
>
> max_execution_time = 30     ; Maximum execution time of each script, in
> seconds
>
> If a script takes longer than that number, it will kill it.  This is to
> prevent infinite loops.  Up this number and you should be ok.
>
> I've had browsers that have sat for well over a minute on a stalled page.
>
> Again, breast cancer research for both donations.
>

> Adam Lang
> Systems Engineer
> Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> http://www.rutgersinsurance.com

Date:
Papp,

> So is there anything you forgot to mention ;)
> I mean everything works fine except this query or you couldn't test
> the page
> without the result.

Nope.  Just waitin' for the query.

There's a couple of things that make us believe it's the browser:

1. The timeout message on Konqueror is a dialog box, not a web page.
2. Sometimes (we think) the query returns in just under 60 seconds (it's
been clocked from the command line at 55) and it takes a few more
seconds for the server to generate the HTML.  The browser still times
out.

> Have you tried to optimize this query?
> Maybe post to this list and wait for some suggestions...

It's a procedure, actually, with about 16 steps.  It's likely that we'll
break it down into 3-4 sub procedures for "progress reporting" purposes.
This will slow down the process overall but prevent browser timeouts.

-Josh

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com

Re: Help with timeouts

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
Have you tried viewing it in a different browser?

Read this from the KDE FAQ:

Is there a way to change the timeout values in Konqueror ?
Beginning with 2.2 beta series, you can change the timeout settings in the
control panel under "Network->Preferences".

If you are using the 2.1 series, however, you have to manipulate the config
file manually to adjust these values to your liking. Here is the procedure
for doing that:

Open $KDEHOME/share/config/kioslaverc in your favorite editor, where
$KDEHOME is your local kde config directory (usually ~/.kde/).

Add the following entries without any HEADING, i.e outside of any [] block.
Simply adding it to the top of the file will suffice.

ReadTimeout=x                       // length of time to wait for arrival of
requested data
ResponseTimeout=x                   // length of time to wait for a response
after sending a request
ConnectTimeout=x                    // length of time to wait for response
after attempting to connect
ProxyConnectTimeout=x               // same a above except it is used for
proxy servers.

where x is the value you need in seconds. To give you an idea, here are the
default values:

DEFAULT_READ_TIMEOUT                    15     // 15 SECONDS
DEFAULT_RESPONSE_TIMEOUT                60     //  1 MINUTE
DEFAULT_CONNECT_TIMEOUT                 20     // 20 SECONDS
DEFAULT_PROXY_CONNECT_TIMEOUT           10     // 10 SECONDS

Manually run the following command to update any running io-slaves:

dcop konqueror KIO::Scheduler reparseConfiguration() ""

If you are running older than version 2.1 of KDE, upgrade.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com
> > So is there anything you forgot to mention ;)
> > I mean everything works fine except this query or you couldn't test
> > the page
> > without the result.
>
> Nope.  Just waitin' for the query.
>
> There's a couple of things that make us believe it's the browser:
>
> 1. The timeout message on Konqueror is a dialog box, not a web page.
> 2. Sometimes (we think) the query returns in just under 60 seconds (it's
> been clocked from the command line at 55) and it takes a few more
> seconds for the server to generate the HTML.  The browser still times
> out.
>
> > Have you tried to optimize this query?
> > Maybe post to this list and wait for some suggestions...
>
> It's a procedure, actually, with about 16 steps.  It's likely that we'll
> break it down into 3-4 sub procedures for "progress reporting" purposes.
> This will slow down the process overall but prevent browser timeouts.
>
> -Josh
>

> ______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________
>                                        Josh Berkus
>   Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com
>    and data management solutions       (415) 565-7293
>   for law firms, small businesses        fax 621-2533
>     and non-profit organizations.      San Francisco

Re: Help with timeouts

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Adam,

> Have you tried viewing it in a different browser?

Actually, the client is using IE 5.03, and having the same problem.  We
were mainly looking for the timeout setting in IE, which does not seem
to exist.

> Read this from the KDE FAQ:
>
> Is there a way to change the timeout values in Konqueror ?
> Beginning with 2.2 beta series, you can change the timeout settings
> in the
> control panel under "Network->Preferences".

Thank you.  This will allow us to tell definitively whether or not it is
the browser.  That RESPONSE_TIMEOUT of 60 is highly suspicious, though.

-Josh

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com

Re: Help with timeouts

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
It looks like IE's timeout is 5 minutes.

http://www.windows-help.net/windows98/ie40-29.shtml

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com
> > Have you tried viewing it in a different browser?
>
> Actually, the client is using IE 5.03, and having the same problem.  We
> were mainly looking for the timeout setting in IE, which does not seem
> to exist.
>
> > Read this from the KDE FAQ:
> >
> > Is there a way to change the timeout values in Konqueror ?
> > Beginning with 2.2 beta series, you can change the timeout settings
> > in the
> > control panel under "Network->Preferences".
>
> Thank you.  This will allow us to tell definitively whether or not it is
> the browser.  That RESPONSE_TIMEOUT of 60 is highly suspicious, though.
>
> -Josh
>

> ______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________
>                                        Josh Berkus
>   Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com
>    and data management solutions       (415) 565-7293
>   for law firms, small businesses        fax 621-2533
>     and non-profit organizations.      San Francisco

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Help with timeouts

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
Is it possible for us to go to the site and see the error message?

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com
> > So is there anything you forgot to mention ;)
> > I mean everything works fine except this query or you couldn't test
> > the page
> > without the result.
>
> Nope.  Just waitin' for the query.
>
> There's a couple of things that make us believe it's the browser:
>
> 1. The timeout message on Konqueror is a dialog box, not a web page.
> 2. Sometimes (we think) the query returns in just under 60 seconds (it's
> been clocked from the command line at 55) and it takes a few more
> seconds for the server to generate the HTML.  The browser still times
> out.
>
> > Have you tried to optimize this query?
> > Maybe post to this list and wait for some suggestions...
>
> It's a procedure, actually, with about 16 steps.  It's likely that we'll
> break it down into 3-4 sub procedures for "progress reporting" purposes.
> This will slow down the process overall but prevent browser timeouts.
>
> -Josh

Re: Help with timeouts

From
"Papp Gyozo"
Date:
Yes, I'm also very curious now...
Or can you post anything related to this error?

> Is it possible for us to go to the site and see the error message?
>
> Adam Lang
> Systems Engineer
> Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> http://www.rutgersinsurance.com

Re: Help with timeouts

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
I'm guessing though if Konqueror generated a pop up box mention timeout, it
is the browser that is timing out.  Otherwise Apache/PHP would send a HTML
page saying connection timed out.  I'm surprised the default for Konqueror
is one minute.  A little low in this time of dynamic websites.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com
> Or can you post anything related to this error?

Re: Help with timeouts

From
Adam Haberlach
Date:
On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 02:03:15PM -0400, Adam Lang wrote:
> I'm guessing though if Konqueror generated a pop up box mention timeout, it
> is the browser that is timing out.  Otherwise Apache/PHP would send a HTML
> page saying connection timed out.  I'm surprised the default for Konqueror
> is one minute.  A little low in this time of dynamic websites.

I dunno.  To me, one minute seems to be an awfully long time for a "dynamic"
website.

--
Adam Haberlach             |
adam@newsnipple.com        | Not all who wander are lost.