Testing in AWS, EBS

From
Tory M Blue
Date:
We are starting some testing in AWS, with EC2, EBS backed setups.

What I found interesting today, was a single EBS 1TB volume, gave me
something like 108MB/s throughput, however a RAID10 (4 250GB EBS
volumes), gave me something like 31MB/s (test after test after test).

I'm wondering what you folks are using inside of Amazon (not
interested in RDS at the moment).

Thanks
Tory

Re: Testing in AWS, EBS

From
Rayson Ho
Date:
There are many factors that can affect EBS performance. For example, the type of EBS volume, the instance type, whether EBS-optimized is turned on or not, etc.

Without the details, then there is no apples to apples comparsion...

Rayson

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/
http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/GridEngine/GridEngineCloud.html

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Tory M Blue <tmblue@gmail.com> wrote:

> We are starting some testing in AWS, with EC2, EBS backed setups.
>
> What I found interesting today, was a single EBS 1TB volume, gave me
> something like 108MB/s throughput, however a RAID10 (4 250GB EBS
> volumes), gave me something like 31MB/s (test after test after test).
>
> I'm wondering what you folks are using inside of Amazon (not
> interested in RDS at the moment).
>
> Thanks
> Tory

Re: Testing in AWS, EBS

From
Yves Dorfsman
Date:
Indeed, old-style disk EBS vs new-style SSd EBS.

Be aware that EBS traffic is considered as part of the total "network"
traffic, and each type of instance has different limits on maximum network
throughput. Those difference are very significant, do tests on the same volume
between two different type of instances, both with enough cpu and memory for
the I/O to be the bottleneck, you will be surprised!

On 2016-05-25 17:02, Rayson Ho wrote:
> There are many factors that can affect EBS performance. For example, the type
> of EBS volume, the instance type, whether EBS-optimized is turned on or not, etc.
>
> Without the details, then there is no apples to apples comparsion...
>
> Rayson

> Open Grid Scheduler - The Official Open Source Grid Engine
> http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/
> http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/GridEngine/GridEngineCloud.html
>

> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Tory M Blue <tmblue@gmail.com
> <mailto:tmblue@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> We are starting some testing in AWS, with EC2, EBS backed setups.
>>
>> What I found interesting today, was a single EBS 1TB volume, gave me
>> something like 108MB/s throughput, however a RAID10 (4 250GB EBS
>> volumes), gave me something like 31MB/s (test after test after test).
>>
>> I'm wondering what you folks are using inside of Amazon (not
>> interested in RDS at the moment).
>>
>> Thanks
>> Tory
>>

>> --

http://yves.zioup.com
gpg: 4096R/32B0F416

Re: Testing in AWS, EBS

From
Rayson Ho
Date:
Actually, when "EBS-Optimized" is on, then the instance gets dedicated bandwidth to EBS.

On 2016-05-25 17:02, Rayson Ho wrote:
> There are many factors that can affect EBS performance. For example, the type
> of EBS volume, the instance type, whether EBS-optimized is turned on or not, etc.
>
> Without the details, then there is no apples to apples comparsion...
>
> Rayson

> Open Grid Scheduler - The Official Open Source Grid Engine
> http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/
> http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/GridEngine/GridEngineCloud.html
>

> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Tory M Blue <tmblue@gmail.com
> <mailto:tmblue@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> We are starting some testing in AWS, with EC2, EBS backed setups.
>>
>> What I found interesting today, was a single EBS 1TB volume, gave me
>> something like 108MB/s throughput, however a RAID10 (4 250GB EBS
>> volumes), gave me something like 31MB/s (test after test after test).
>>
>> I'm wondering what you folks are using inside of Amazon (not
>> interested in RDS at the moment).
>>
>> Thanks
>> Tory
>>

>> --

http://yves.zioup.com
gpg: 4096R/32B0F416

Re: Testing in AWS, EBS

From
Artem Tomyuk
Date:
Hi.

AWS EBS its a really painful story....
How was created volumes for RAID? From snapshots?
If you want to get the best performance from EBS it needs to pre-warmed.

Here is the tutorial how to achieve that:

Also you should read this one if you want to get really great for performance:

Good luck!

Date:
On 2016-05-25 19:08, Rayson Ho wrote:
> Actually, when "EBS-Optimized" is on, then the instance gets dedicated
> bandwidth to EBS.

Hadn't realised that, thanks.
Is the EBS bandwidth then somewhat limited depending on the type of instance too?

--
http://yves.zioup.com
gpg: 4096R/32B0F416

Re: Testing in AWS, EBS

From
Artem Tomyuk
Date:
Yes, the smaller instance you choose - the slower ebs will be.
EBS lives separately from EC2, they are communicating via network. So small instance = low network bandwidth = poorer disk performance.
But still strong recommendation to pre-warm your ebs in any case, especially if they created from snapshot.

Date:
On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 9:00 AM, Artem Tomyuk <admin@leboutique.com> wrote:

> But still strong recommendation to pre-warm your ebs in any case, especially if they created from snapshot.

That used to be true. However, at AWS re:Invent 2015, Amazon engineers said that EBS pre-warming is not needed anymore.

Rayson

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/
http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/GridEngine/GridEngineCloud.html

>> On 2016-05-25 19:08, Rayson Ho wrote:
>> > Actually, when "EBS-Optimized" is on, then the instance gets dedicated
>> > bandwidth to EBS.
>>
>> Hadn't realised that, thanks.
>> Is the EBS bandwidth then somewhat limited depending on the type of instance too?
>>
>> --
>> http://yves.zioup.com
>> gpg: 4096R/32B0F416
>>

>> --

Re: Testing in AWS, EBS

From
Artem Tomyuk

Amazon engineers said that EBS pre-warming is not needed anymore.

but still if you will skip this step you wont get much performance on ebs created from snapshot.

Re: Testing in AWS, EBS

From
Rayson Ho
Date:
Amazon engineers said that EBS pre-warming is not needed anymore.

but still if you will skip this step you wont get much performance on ebs created from snapshot.

IIRC, that's not what Amazon engineers said. Is that from your personal experience, and if so, when did you do the test??

Rayson

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/

Re: Testing in AWS, EBS

From
Artem Tomyuk
Date:
Please look at the official doc.

"New EBS volumes receive their maximum performance the moment that they are available and do not require initialization (formerly known as pre-warming). However, storage blocks on volumes that were restored from snapshots must be initialized (pulled down from Amazon S3 and written to the volume) before you can access the block"

Quotation from:

Amazon engineers said that EBS pre-warming is not needed anymore.

but still if you will skip this step you wont get much performance on ebs created from snapshot.

IIRC, that's not what Amazon engineers said. Is that from your personal experience, and if so, when did you do the test??

Rayson

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/

Re: Testing in AWS, EBS

From
Rayson Ho
Date:
Thanks Artem.

So no EBS pre-warming does not apply to EBS volumes created from snapshots.

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 10:52 AM, Artem Tomyuk <admin@leboutique.com> wrote:
> Please look at the official doc.
>
> "New EBS volumes receive their maximum performance the moment that they are
> available and do not require initialization (formerly known as pre-warming).
> However, storage blocks on volumes that were restored from snapshots must be
> initialized (pulled down from Amazon S3 and written to the volume) before
> you can access the block"
>
> Quotation from:
> http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/ebs-initialize.html

>>> but still if you will skip this step you wont get much performance on ebs
>>> created from snapshot.
>>

>> IIRC, that's not what Amazon engineers said. Is that from your personal
>> experience, and if so, when did you do the test??
>>
>> Rayson

>> Open Grid Scheduler - The Official Open Source Grid Engine
>> http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/
>> http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/GridEngine/GridEngineCloud.html

Re: Testing in AWS, EBS

From
Artem Tomyuk
Date:
Why no? Or you missed something?

It should be done on every EBS restored from snapshot.

Is that from your personal experience, and if so, when did you do the test??

Yes we are using this practice, because as a part of our production load we are using auto scale groups to create new instances, wheech are created from AMI, wheech stands on snapshots, so...

Date:
On 2016-05-26 09:03, Artem Tomyuk wrote:
> Why no? Or you missed something?

I think Rayson is correct, but the double negative makes it hard to read:

"So no EBS pre-warming does not apply to EBS volumes created from snapshots."

Which I interpret as:
So, "no EBS pre-warming", does not apply to EBS volumes created from snapshots.

Which is correct, you sitll have to warm your EBS when created from sanpshots (to get the data from S3 to the
filesystem).

--
http://yves.zioup.com
gpg: 4096R/32B0F416

Re: Testing in AWS, EBS

From
Rayson Ho
Date:
Thanks Yves for the clarification!

It used to be very important to pre-warm EBS before running benchmarks
in order to get consistent results.

Then at re:Invent 2015, the AWS engineers said that it is not needed
anymore, which IMO is a lot less work for us to do benchmarking in
AWS, because pre-warming a multi-TB EBS vol is very time consuming,
and the I/Os were not free.