Re: Testing in AWS, EBS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Rayson Ho
Subject Re: Testing in AWS, EBS
Date
List pgsql-performance
Actually, when "EBS-Optimized" is on, then the instance gets dedicated bandwidth to EBS.

Rayson

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/
http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/GridEngine/GridEngineCloud.html

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 7:56 PM, Yves Dorfsman <yves@zioup.com> wrote:
Indeed, old-style disk EBS vs new-style SSd EBS.

Be aware that EBS traffic is considered as part of the total "network"
traffic, and each type of instance has different limits on maximum network
throughput. Those difference are very significant, do tests on the same volume
between two different type of instances, both with enough cpu and memory for
the I/O to be the bottleneck, you will be surprised!

On 2016-05-25 17:02, Rayson Ho wrote:
> There are many factors that can affect EBS performance. For example, the type
> of EBS volume, the instance type, whether EBS-optimized is turned on or not, etc.
>
> Without the details, then there is no apples to apples comparsion...
>
> Rayson

> Open Grid Scheduler - The Official Open Source Grid Engine
> http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/
> http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/GridEngine/GridEngineCloud.html
>

> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Tory M Blue <tmblue@gmail.com
> <mailto:tmblue@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> We are starting some testing in AWS, with EC2, EBS backed setups.
>>
>> What I found interesting today, was a single EBS 1TB volume, gave me
>> something like 108MB/s throughput, however a RAID10 (4 250GB EBS
>> volumes), gave me something like 31MB/s (test after test after test).
>>
>> I'm wondering what you folks are using inside of Amazon (not
>> interested in RDS at the moment).
>>
>> Thanks
>> Tory
>>

>> --