Final decision

From
"Joel Fradkin"

I spent a great deal of time over the past week looking seriously at Postgres and MYSQL.

Objectively I am not seeing that much of an improvement in speed with MYSQL, and we have a huge investment in postgrs.

So I am planning on sticking with postgres fro our production database (going live this weekend).

Many people have offered a great deal of help and I appreciate all that time and energy.

I did not find any resolutions to my issues with Commandprompt.com (we only worked together 2.5 hours).

Most of my application is working about the same speed as MSSQL server (unfortunately its twice the speed box, but as many have pointed out it could be an issue with the 4 proc dell). I spent considerable time with Dell and could see my drives are delivering 40 meg per sec.

Things I still have to make better are my settings in config, I have it set to no merge joins and no seq scans.

I am going to have to use flattened history files for reporting (I saw huge difference here the view for audit cube took 10 minutes in explain analyze and the flattened file took under one second).

I understand both of these practices are not desirable, but I am at a place where I have to get it live and these are items I could not resolve.

I may try some more time with Commanpromt.com, or seek other professional help.

In stress testing I found Postgres was holding up very well (but my IIS servers could not handle much of a load to really push the server).

I have a few desktops acting as IIS servers at the moment and if I pushed past 50 consecutive users it pretty much blew the server up.

On inserts that number was like 7 consecutive users and updates was also like 7 users.

I believe that was totally IIS not postgres, but I am curious as to if using postgres odbc will put more stress on the IIS side then MSSQL did.

I did have a question if any folks are using two servers one for reporting and one for data entry what system should be the beefier?

I have a 2proc machine I will be using and I can either put Sears off by themselves on this machine or split up functionality and have one for reporting and one for inserts and updates; so not sure which machine would be best for which spot (reminder the more robust is a 4proc with 8 gigs and 2 proc is 4 gigs, both dells).

Thank you for any ideas in this arena.

Joel Fradkin

Re: Final decision

From
mmiranda@americatel.com.sv

[...]

You didnt tell us what OS are you using, windows?

If you want good performance you must install unix on  that machine,

---

Re: Final decision

From
"Joel Fradkin"

Sorry I am using Redhat AS4 and postgres 8.0.2

Joel

You didnt tell us what OS are you using, windows?

If you want good performance you must install unix on  that machine,

---

Re: Final decision

From
Rod Taylor

> I did have a question if any folks are using two servers one for
> reporting and one for data entry what system should be the beefier?

Yeah. We started putting up slaves for reporting purposes and
application specific areas using Slony replicating partial data sets to
various locations -- some for reporting.

If your reports have a long runtime and don't require transactional
safety for writes (daily summary written or results aren't recorded in
the DB at all) this is probably something to consider.

I understand that PGAdmin makes Slony fairly painless to setup, but it
can be time consuming to get going and Slony can add new complications
depending on the data size and what you're doing with it -- but they're
working hard to reduce the impact of those complications.

--

Re: Final decision

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Joel,

> So I am planning on sticking with postgres fro our production database
> (going live this weekend).

Glad to have you.

> I did not find any resolutions to my issues with Commandprompt.com (we only
> worked together 2.5 hours).

BTW, your performance troubleshooting will continue to be hampered if you
can't share actual queries and data structure.   I strongly suggest that you
make a confidentiality contract with  a support provider so that you can give
them detailed (rather than general) problem reports.

> Most of my application is working about the same speed as MSSQL server
> (unfortunately its twice the speed box, but as many have pointed out it
> could be an issue with the 4 proc dell). I spent considerable time with
> Dell and could see my drives are delivering 40 meg per sec.

FWIW, on a v40z I get 180mb/s.   So your disk array on the Dell is less than
ideal ... basically, what you have is a more expensive box, not a faster
one :-(

> Things I still have to make better are my settings in config, I have it set
> to no merge joins and no seq scans.

Yeah, I'm also finding that our estimator underestimates the real cost of
merge joins on some systems.    Basically we need a sort-cost variable,
because I've found an up to 2x difference in sort cost depending on
architecture.

> I am going to have to use flattened history files for reporting (I saw huge
> difference here the view for audit cube took 10 minutes in explain analyze
> and the flattened file took under one second).
> I understand both of these practices are not desirable, but I am at a place
> where I have to get it live and these are items I could not resolve.

Flattening data for reporting is completely reasonable; I do it all the time.

> I believe that was totally IIS not postgres, but I am curious as to if
> using postgres odbc will put more stress on the IIS side then MSSQL did.

Actually, I think the problem may be ODBC.   Our ODBC driver is not the best
and is currently being re-built from scratch.   Is using npgsql, a much
higher-performance driver (for .NET) out of the question?  According to one
company, npgsql performs better than drivers supplied by Microsoft.

> I did have a question if any folks are using two servers one for reporting
> and one for data entry what system should be the beefier?

Depends on the relative # of users.    This is often a good approach, because
the requirements for DW reporting and OLTP are completely different.
Basically:
OLTP: Many slow processors, disk array set up for fast writes, moderate shared
mem, low work_mem.
DW: Few fast processors, disk array set up for fast reads, high shared mem and
work mem.

If reporting is at least 1/4 of your workload, I'd suggest spinning that off
to the 2nd machine before putting one client on that machine.    That way you
can also use the 2nd machine as a failover back-up.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Final decision

From
"Dave Page"

It is? No-one told the developers...

Regards, Dave

[and yes, I know Joshua said Command Prompt are rewriting /their/
driver]

Re: Final decision

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Dave,

> > Actually, I think the problem may be ODBC.   Our ODBC driver
> > is not the best
> > and is currently being re-built from scratch.
>
> It is? No-one told the developers...
>
> Regards, Dave
>
> [and yes, I know Joshua said Command Prompt are rewriting /their/
> driver]

OK.   Well, let's put it this way:  the v3 and v3.5 drivers will not be based
on the current driver, unless you suddenly have a bunch of free time.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Final decision

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

We have mentioned it on the list.

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2002/07/16/drake.html

> Regards, Dave
>
> [and yes, I know Joshua said Command Prompt are rewriting /their/
> driver]

:) No we are rewriting a complete OSS driver.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
Command Prompt, Inc.

Managed Services, Shared and Dedication Hosting

Re: Final decision

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

>> It is? No-one told the developers...
>

> We have mentioned it on the list.
>
> http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2002/07/16/drake.html

Ooops ;)

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-odbc/2005-03/msg00109.php

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
Command Prompt, Inc.

Managed Services, Shared and Dedication Hosting

Re: Final decision

From
John A Meinel
Date:
Joel Fradkin wrote:
> I spent a great deal of time over the past week looking seriously at
> Postgres and MYSQL.
>
> Objectively I am not seeing that much of an improvement in speed with
> MYSQL, and we have a huge investment in postgrs.
>
> So I am planning on sticking with postgres fro our production database
> (going live this weekend).

Glad to hear it. Good luck.

> Things I still have to make better are my settings in config, I have it
> set to no merge joins and no seq scans.

Just realize, you probably *don't* want to set that in postgresql.conf.
You just want to issue an "SET enable_seqscan TO off" before issuing one
of the queries that are mis-planned.

Because there are lots of times when merge join and seq scan is actually
faster than the alternatives. And since I don't think you tested every
query you are going to run, you probably want to let the planner handle
the ones it gets right. (Usually it doesn't quite a good job.)

Also, I second the notion of getting a confidentiality contract. There
have been several times where someone had a pathological case, and by
sending the data to someone (Tom Lane), they were able to track down and
fix the problem.

> I am going to have to use flattened history files for reporting (I saw
> huge difference here the view for audit cube took 10 minutes in explain
> analyze and the flattened file took under one second).
>

> I understand both of these practices are not desirable, but I am at a
> place where I have to get it live and these are items I could not resolve.

Nothing wrong with a properly updated flattened table. You just need to
be careful to keep it consistent with the rest of the data. (Update
triggers/lazy materialization, etc)

> I may try some more time with Commanpromt.com, or seek other
> professional help.
>

> In stress testing I found Postgres was holding up very well (but my IIS
> servers could not handle much of a load to really push the server).
>
> I have a few desktops acting as IIS servers at the moment and if I
> pushed past 50 consecutive users it pretty much blew the server up.
>
> On inserts that number was like 7 consecutive users and updates was also
> like 7 users.
>

> I believe that was totally IIS not postgres, but I am curious as to if
> using postgres odbc will put more stress on the IIS side then MSSQL did.

What do you mean by "blew up"? I assume you have IIS on a different
machine than the database. Are you saying that the database slowed down
dramatically, or that the machine crashed, or just that the web
interface became unresponsive?

> I did have a question if any folks are using two servers one for
> reporting and one for data entry what system should be the beefier?
>
> I have a 2proc machine I will be using and I can either put Sears off by
> themselves on this machine or split up functionality and have one for
> reporting and one for inserts and updates; so not sure which machine
> would be best for which spot (reminder the more robust is a 4proc with 8
> gigs and 2 proc is 4 gigs, both dells).

It probably depends on what queries are being done, and what kind of
times you need. Usually the update machine needs the stronger hardware,
so that it can do the writing.

But it depends if you can wait longer to update data than to query data,
obviously the opposite is true. It all depends on load, and that is
pretty much application defined.

> Thank you for any ideas in this arena.
>

> Joel Fradkin

John
=:->

Attachment

Re: Final decision

From
"Joel Fradkin"
Date:
BTW, your performance troubleshooting will continue to be hampered if you
can't share actual queries and data structure.   I strongly suggest that you

make a confidentiality contract with  a support provider so that you can
give them detailed (rather than general) problem reports.

I am glad to hear your perspective, maybe my rollout is not as off base as I
thought.

FYI it is not that I can not share specifics (I have posted a few table
structures and views here and on pgsql, I just can not backup the entire
database and ship it off to a consultant.

What I had suggested with Commandprompt was to use remote connectivity for
him to have access to our server directly. In this way I can learn by
watching what types of test he does and it allows him to do tests with our
data set.

Once I am in production that will not be something I want tests done on, so
it may have to wait until we get a development box with a similar deployment
(at the moment development is on a XP machine and production will be on
Linux (The 4 proc is linux and will be our production).

Thank you for letting me know what I can hope to see in the way of disk
access on the next hardware procurement, I may email you off list to get the
specific brands etc that you found that kind of through put with.

Re: Final decision

From
"Joel Fradkin"
Date:
Just realize, you probably *don't* want to set that in postgresql.conf.
You just want to issue an "SET enable_seqscan TO off" before issuing one
of the queries that are mis-planned.

I believe all the tested queries (90 some odd views) saw an improvement.
I will however take the time to verify this and take your suggestion as I
can certainly put the appropriate settings in each as opposed to using the
config option, Thanks for the good advice (I believe Josh from
Commandprompt.com also suggested this approach and I in my lazy self some
how blurred the concept.)

Also, I second the notion of getting a confidentiality contract. There
have been several times where someone had a pathological case, and by
sending the data to someone (Tom Lane), they were able to track down and
fix the problem.

Excellent point, Our data is confidential, but I should write something to
allow me to ship concept without confidential, so in the future I can just
send a backup and not have it break our agreements, but allow minds greater
then my own to see, and feel my issues.

What do you mean by "blew up"?
IIS testing was being done with an old 2300 and a optiplex both machines
reached 100%CPU utilization and the test suite (ASP code written in house by
one of programmers) was not returning memory correctly, so it ran out of
memory and died. Prior to death I did see cpu utilization on the 4proc linux
box running postgres fluctuate and at times hit the 100% level, but the
server seemed very stable. I did fix the memory usage of the suite and was
able to see 50 concurrent users with fairly high RPS especially on select
testing, the insert and update seemed to fall apart (many 404 errors etc)

I assume you have IIS on a different
machine than the database. Are you saying that the database slowed down
dramatically, or that the machine crashed, or just that the web
interface became unresponsive? Just the web interface.

It probably depends on what queries are being done, and what kind of
times you need. Usually the update machine needs the stronger hardware,
so that it can do the writing.

But it depends if you can wait longer to update data than to query data,
obviously the opposite is true. It all depends on load, and that is
pretty much application defined.

I am guessing our app is like 75% data entry and 25% reporting, but the
reporting is taking the toll SQL wise.

This was from my insert test with 15 users.
Test type: Dynamic
 Simultaneous browser connections: 15
 Warm up time (secs): 0
 Test duration: 00:00:03:13
 Test iterations: 200
 Detailed test results generated: Yes
Response Codes

 Response Code: 403 - The server understood the request, but is refusing to
fulfill it.
  Count: 15
  Percent (%): 0.29

 Response Code: 302 - The requested resource resides temporarily under a
different URI (Uniform Resource Identifier).
  Count: 200
  Percent (%): 3.85

 Response Code: 200 - The request completed successfully.
  Count: 4,980
  Percent (%): 95.86

My select test with 25 users had this
Properties

 Test type: Dynamic
 Simultaneous browser connections: 25
 Warm up time (secs): 0
 Test duration: 00:00:06:05
 Test iterations: 200
 Detailed test results generated: Yes

Summary

 Total number of requests: 187
 Total number of connections: 200

 Average requests per second: 0.51
 Average time to first byte (msecs): 30,707.42
 Average time to last byte (msecs): 30,707.42
 Average time to last byte per iteration (msecs): 28,711.44

 Number of unique requests made in test: 1
 Number of unique response codes: 1

Errors Counts

 HTTP: 0
 DNS: 0
 Socket: 26

Additional Network Statistics

 Average bandwidth (bytes/sec): 392.08

 Number of bytes sent (bytes): 64,328
 Number of bytes received (bytes): 78,780

 Average rate of sent bytes (bytes/sec): 176.24
 Average rate of received bytes (bytes/sec): 215.84

 Number of connection errors: 0
 Number of send errors: 13
 Number of receive errors: 13
 Number of timeout errors: 0

Response Codes

 Response Code: 200 - The request completed successfully.
  Count: 187
  Percent (%): 100.00

Joel

Re: Final decision

From
Steve Poe
Date:
Joshua,

This article was in July 2002, so is there update to this information?
When will a new ODBC driver be available for testing? Is there a release
of the ODBC driver with better performance than 7.0.3.0200 for a 7.4.x
database?

Steve Poe

> We have mentioned it on the list.
>
> http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2002/07/16/drake.html
>
>> Regards, Dave
>>
>> [and yes, I know Joshua said Command Prompt are rewriting /their/
>> driver]
>

> :) No we are rewriting a complete OSS driver.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
> Command Prompt, Inc.

>> TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>>       subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>>       message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Re: Final decision

From
John A Meinel
Date:
Joel Fradkin wrote:

> I am guessing our app is like 75% data entry and 25% reporting, but the
> reporting is taking the toll SQL wise.
>
> This was from my insert test with 15 users.
> Test type: Dynamic
>  Simultaneous browser connections: 15
>  Warm up time (secs): 0
>  Test duration: 00:00:03:13
>  Test iterations: 200
>  Detailed test results generated: Yes
> Response Codes
>
>  Response Code: 403 - The server understood the request, but is refusing to
> fulfill it.
>   Count: 15
>   Percent (%): 0.29
>

>  Response Code: 302 - The requested resource resides temporarily under a
> different URI (Uniform Resource Identifier).
>   Count: 200
>   Percent (%): 3.85
>

>  Response Code: 200 - The request completed successfully.
>   Count: 4,980
>   Percent (%): 95.86
>
> My select test with 25 users had this
> Properties
>
>  Test type: Dynamic
>  Simultaneous browser connections: 25
>  Warm up time (secs): 0
>  Test duration: 00:00:06:05
>  Test iterations: 200
>  Detailed test results generated: Yes
>
> Summary
>
>  Total number of requests: 187
>  Total number of connections: 200
>
>  Average requests per second: 0.51
>  Average time to first byte (msecs): 30,707.42
>  Average time to last byte (msecs): 30,707.42
>  Average time to last byte per iteration (msecs): 28,711.44
>
>  Number of unique requests made in test: 1
>  Number of unique response codes: 1

Well, having a bandwidth of 392Bps seems *really* low. I mean that is a
very old modem speed (3200 baud).

I'm wondering if you are doing a lot of aggregating in the web server,
and if you couldn't move some of that into the database by using plpgsql
functions.

That would take some of the load off of your IIS servers, and possibly
improve your overall bandwidth.

But I do agree, it looks like the select side is where you are hurting.
If I understand the numbers correctly, you can do 5k inserts in 3min,
but are struggling to do 200 selects in 6min.

John
=:->

> Errors Counts
>
>  HTTP: 0
>  DNS: 0
>  Socket: 26
>
> Additional Network Statistics
>
>  Average bandwidth (bytes/sec): 392.08
>
>  Number of bytes sent (bytes): 64,328
>  Number of bytes received (bytes): 78,780
>
>  Average rate of sent bytes (bytes/sec): 176.24
>  Average rate of received bytes (bytes/sec): 215.84
>
>  Number of connection errors: 0
>  Number of send errors: 13
>  Number of receive errors: 13
>  Number of timeout errors: 0
>
> Response Codes
>
>  Response Code: 200 - The request completed successfully.
>   Count: 187
>   Percent (%): 100.00
>

> Joel

Attachment

Re: Final decision

From
"Dave Page"

Err, yes. But that's not quite the same as core telling us the current
driver is being replaced.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Final decision

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Dave, folks,

> Err, yes. But that's not quite the same as core telling us the current
> driver is being replaced.

Sorry, I spoke off the cuff.    I also was unaware that work on the current
driver had renewed.   Us Core people are not omnicient, believe it or don't.

Mind you, having 2 different teams working on two different ODBC drivers is a
problem for another list ...

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

ODBC driver overpopulation (was Re: Final decision)

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 08:09:27PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Mind you, having 2 different teams working on two different ODBC drivers is a
> problem for another list ...

Only two?  I thought another commercial entity was also working on their
own ODBC driver, so there may be three of them.

"Always assume the user will do much worse than the stupidest thing
you can imagine."                                (Julien PUYDT)

Re: ODBC driver overpopulation (was Re: Final decision)

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>>Mind you, having 2 different teams working on two different ODBC drivers is a
>>problem for another list ...
>

> Only two?  I thought another commercial entity was also working on their
> own ODBC driver, so there may be three of them.

Well I only know of one company actually working on ODBC actively and
that is Command Prompt, If there are others I would like to hear about
it because I would rather work with someone than against them.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting

Re: Final decision

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Well I don't think anyone knew that the current driver is still being
maintained?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >>Mind you, having 2 different teams working on two different ODBC drivers is a
> >>problem for another list ...
> >

> > Only two?  I thought another commercial entity was also working on their
> > own ODBC driver, so there may be three of them.
>
> Well I only know of one company actually working on ODBC actively and
> that is Command Prompt, If there are others I would like to hear about
> it because I would rather work with someone than against them.

Well, you should talk to Pervasive because they have a team working on
improving the existing driver.  I am sure they would want to work
together too.

Re: Final decision

> > Err, yes. But that's not quite the same as core telling us the current
> > driver is being replaced.
>
> Well I don't think anyone knew that the current driver is still being
> maintained?

We have been looking for someone to take over ODBC and Pervasive agreed
to do it, but there wasn't a big announcement about it.  I have
discussed this with them.

Re: Final decision

From
"Dave Page"

I was under the impression that you and Bruce negiotiated the developer
time! Certainly you and I chatted about it on IRC once... Ahh, well.
Never mind.

> Mind you, having 2 different teams working on two different
> ODBC drivers is a
> problem for another list ...

Absolutely.

Regards, Dave.