Re: Final decision - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: Final decision
Date
List pgsql-performance

> I did have a question if any folks are using two servers one for
> reporting and one for data entry what system should be the beefier?

Yeah. We started putting up slaves for reporting purposes and
application specific areas using Slony replicating partial data sets to
various locations -- some for reporting.

If your reports have a long runtime and don't require transactional
safety for writes (daily summary written or results aren't recorded in
the DB at all) this is probably something to consider.

I understand that PGAdmin makes Slony fairly painless to setup, but it
can be time consuming to get going and Slony can add new complications
depending on the data size and what you're doing with it -- but they're
working hard to reduce the impact of those complications.