Final decision - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joel Fradkin
Subject Final decision
Date
Re: Final decision
Re: Final decision
List pgsql-performance

I spent a great deal of time over the past week looking seriously at Postgres and MYSQL.

Objectively I am not seeing that much of an improvement in speed with MYSQL, and we have a huge investment in postgrs.

So I am planning on sticking with postgres fro our production database (going live this weekend).

Many people have offered a great deal of help and I appreciate all that time and energy.

I did not find any resolutions to my issues with Commandprompt.com (we only worked together 2.5 hours).

Most of my application is working about the same speed as MSSQL server (unfortunately its twice the speed box, but as many have pointed out it could be an issue with the 4 proc dell). I spent considerable time with Dell and could see my drives are delivering 40 meg per sec.

Things I still have to make better are my settings in config, I have it set to no merge joins and no seq scans.

I am going to have to use flattened history files for reporting (I saw huge difference here the view for audit cube took 10 minutes in explain analyze and the flattened file took under one second).

I understand both of these practices are not desirable, but I am at a place where I have to get it live and these are items I could not resolve.

I may try some more time with Commanpromt.com, or seek other professional help.

In stress testing I found Postgres was holding up very well (but my IIS servers could not handle much of a load to really push the server).

I have a few desktops acting as IIS servers at the moment and if I pushed past 50 consecutive users it pretty much blew the server up.

On inserts that number was like 7 consecutive users and updates was also like 7 users.

I believe that was totally IIS not postgres, but I am curious as to if using postgres odbc will put more stress on the IIS side then MSSQL did.

I did have a question if any folks are using two servers one for reporting and one for data entry what system should be the beefier?

I have a 2proc machine I will be using and I can either put Sears off by themselves on this machine or split up functionality and have one for reporting and one for inserts and updates; so not sure which machine would be best for which spot (reminder the more robust is a 4proc with 8 gigs and 2 proc is 4 gigs, both dells).

Thank you for any ideas in this arena.

Joel Fradkin