Réf. : Re: RE : RE: Postgresql vsSQLserver for this

From
bsimon@loxane.com

On our production server, I can insert 5000 tuples in 2100 ms.

Single Xeon 2.6 Ghz
2 Gigs ram
3ware RAID 5 SATA drives array, 3 drives only :-((
PG 8.0 - fsync off

I do think inserting 5000 tuples in a second (i.e 5000 insert transactions, no bulk load) can be reached with well a configured SCSI RAID 10 array.

Anyway it was a MISTAKE in my former description of the project : (sorry for this)

        -  we need 5000 inserts per MINUTE

My question remain :

        Is pgcluster worth giving a try and can it be trusted for in a production environnement ?
        Will it be possible to get a sort of real-time application ?

Thanks for all your comments.
Benjamin.

Rod Taylor <pg@rbt.ca>
Envoyé par : pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org

06/04/2005 18:40

        Pour :        "Mohan, Ross" <RMohan@arbinet.com>
        cc :        pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
        Objet :        Re: RE : RE: [PERFORM] Postgresql vs SQLserver for this

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 16:12 +0000, Mohan, Ross wrote:
> I wish I had a Dell system and run case to show you Alex, but I don't...
> however...using Oracle's "direct path" feature, it's pretty straightforward.
>
> We've done 110,000 rows per second into index-less tables on a big system
> (IBM Power5 chips, Hitachi SAN). ( Yes, I am sure: over 100K a second. Sustained
> for almost 9 minutes. )

Just for kicks I did a local test on a desktop machine (single CPU,
single IDE drive) using COPY from STDIN for a set of integers in via a
single transaction, no indexes.

1572864 tuples were loaded in 13715.613ms, which is approx 115k rows per
second.

Okay, no checkpoints and I didn't cross an index boundary, but I also
haven't tuned the config file beyond bumping up the buffers.

Lets try again with more data this time.

31Million tuples were loaded in approx 279 seconds, or approx 112k rows
per second.

> I'd love to see PG get into this range..i am a big fan of PG (just a
> rank newbie) but I gotta think the underlying code to do this has
> to be not-too-complex.....

I'd say we're there.

     joining column's datatypes do not match

Re: Réf. : Re: RE : RE: Postgresql

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 19:08 +0200, bsimon@loxane.com wrote:

> On our production server, I can insert 5000 tuples in 2100 ms.
>
> Single Xeon 2.6 Ghz
> 2 Gigs ram
> 3ware RAID 5 SATA drives array, 3 drives only :-((
> PG 8.0 - fsync off
>
> I do think inserting 5000 tuples in a second (i.e 5000 insert
> transactions, no bulk load) can be reached with well a configured SCSI
> RAID 10 array.

Yeah, I think that can be done provided there is more than one worker.
My limit seems to be about 1000 transactions per second each with a
single insert for a single process (round trip time down the Fibre
Channel is large) but running 4 simultaneously only drops throughput to
about 900 per process (total of 2400 transactions per second) and the
machine still seemed to have lots of oomph to spare.

Also worth noting is that this test was performed on a machine which as
a noise floor receives about 200 queries per second, which it was
serving during the test.

>         Is pgcluster worth giving a try and can it be trusted for in a
> production environnement ?
>         Will it be possible to get a sort of real-time application ?

From the design of pgcluster it looks like it adds in a significant
amount of additional communication so expect your throughput for a
single process to drop through the floor.

--

Re: Réf

From
"Steinar H. Gunderson"
Date:
On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 01:18:29PM -0400, Rod Taylor wrote:
> Yeah, I think that can be done provided there is more than one worker.
> My limit seems to be about 1000 transactions per second each with a
> single insert for a single process (round trip time down the Fibre
> Channel is large) but running 4 simultaneously only drops throughput to
> about 900 per process (total of 2400 transactions per second) and the
> machine still seemed to have lots of oomph to spare.

Erm, have I missed something here? 900 * 4 = 2400?

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

Re: Réf

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 19:42 +0200, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 01:18:29PM -0400, Rod Taylor wrote:
> > Yeah, I think that can be done provided there is more than one worker.
> > My limit seems to be about 1000 transactions per second each with a
> > single insert for a single process (round trip time down the Fibre
> > Channel is large) but running 4 simultaneously only drops throughput to
> > about 900 per process (total of 2400 transactions per second) and the
> > machine still seemed to have lots of oomph to spare.
>
> Erm, have I missed something here? 900 * 4 = 2400?

Nope. You've not missed anything.

If I ran 10 processes and the requirement would be met.
--

Re: Réf

From
Alex Turner
Date:
I think his point was that 9 * 4 != 2400

Alex Turner
netEconomist

On Apr 6, 2005 2:23 PM, Rod Taylor <pg@rbt.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 19:42 +0200, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 01:18:29PM -0400, Rod Taylor wrote:
> > > Yeah, I think that can be done provided there is more than one worker.
> > > My limit seems to be about 1000 transactions per second each with a
> > > single insert for a single process (round trip time down the Fibre
> > > Channel is large) but running 4 simultaneously only drops throughput to
> > > about 900 per process (total of 2400 transactions per second) and the
> > > machine still seemed to have lots of oomph to spare.
> >
> > Erm, have I missed something here? 900 * 4 = 2400?
>
> Nope. You've not missed anything.
>
> If I ran 10 processes and the requirement would be met.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Réf

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 14:40 -0400, Alex Turner wrote:
> I think his point was that 9 * 4 != 2400

Oh.. heh.. I didn't even notice that.

Can I pretend I did it in my head using HEX math and that it wasn't a
mistake?