[OFF-TOPIC] - Known maximum size of the PostgreSQL Database

From
"Carlos Eduardo Smanioto"
Date:
Hello all,

What's the case of bigger database PostgreSQL (so greate and amount of
registers) that they know???

Thanks,
Carlos Eduardo Smanioto

Re: [OFF-TOPIC] - Known maximum size of the PostgreSQL

From
"J. Andrew Rogers"
Date:
On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 11:55, Carlos Eduardo Smanioto wrote:
> What's the case of bigger database PostgreSQL (so greate and amount of
> registers) that they know???

You might want to fix the month on your system time.

With respect to how big PostgreSQL databases can get in practice, these
are our two biggest implementations:

- 0.5 Tb GIS database (this maybe upwards of 600-700Gb now, I didn't
check)

- 10 Gb OLTP system with 70 million rows and a typical working set of
2-3 Gb.

Postgres is definitely capable of handling large pretty databases with
ease.  There are some narrow types of workloads that it doesn't do so
well on, but for many normal DBMS loads it scales quite well.

j. andrew rogers

Re: [OFF-TOPIC] - Known maximum size of the PostgreSQL

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html#4.5

Re: [OFF-TOPIC] - Known maximum size of the PostgreSQL

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
>>What's the case of bigger database PostgreSQL (so greate and amount of
>>registers) that they know???

Didn't someone say that RedSheriff had a 10TB postgres database or
something?

Chris

Re: [OFF-TOPIC] - Known maximum size of the PostgreSQL

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>>> What's the case of bigger database PostgreSQL (so greate and amount of
>>> registers) that they know???
>

> Didn't someone say that RedSheriff had a 10TB postgres database or
> something?

 From http://www.redsheriff.com/us/news/news_4_201.html

"According to the company, RedSheriff processes 10 billion records a
month and the total amount of data managed is more than 32TB. Griffin
said PostgreSQL has been in production for 12 months with not a single
database fault in that time “The stability of the database can not be
questioned. Needless to say, we are extremely happy."

I think it's safe to assume this is not on a spare Dell 600SC though.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: [OFF-TOPIC] - Known maximum size of the PostgreSQL

From
Shridhar Daithankar
Date:
Richard Huxton wrote:

>> Didn't someone say that RedSheriff had a 10TB postgres database or
>> something?
>  From http://www.redsheriff.com/us/news/news_4_201.html
>
> "According to the company, RedSheriff processes 10 billion records a
> month and the total amount of data managed is more than 32TB. Griffin
> said PostgreSQL has been in production for 12 months with not a single
> database fault in that time “The stability of the database can not be
> questioned. Needless to say, we are extremely happy."
>
> I think it's safe to assume this is not on a spare Dell 600SC though.

I think we should have a case study for that. And publish it on our regular
news/press contacts(Can't imagine the flame war on /...Umm Yummy..:-)). It would
make a lot of noise and gain visibility for us.

Of course Red Sherrif need to co-operate and spell the details and/or moderate
what we write, but all in all, 32TB database is uber-cool..:-)

  Shridhar

Re: [OFF-TOPIC] - Known maximum size of the

From
Don Vaillancourt

Here's a question a little off-topic.

What would a 32TB database hardware configuration look like.  I'm assuming 200GB hard-drives which would total 160 of them.  Double that if you mirror them.

Am I correct?

From http://www.redsheriff.com/us/news/news_4_201.html

"According to the company, RedSheriff processes 10 billion records a month and the total amount of data managed is more than 32TB. Griffin said PostgreSQL has been in production for 12 months with not a single database fault in that time �The stability of the database can not be questioned. Needless to say, we are extremely happy."

I think it's safe to assume this is not on a spare Dell 600SC though.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

Don Vaillancourt
Director of Software Development

WEB IMPACT INC.
416-815-2000 ext. 245
email: donv@webimpact.com
web:
http://www.webimpact.com

copyright.  If you are not the intended recipient please
prohibited. No representation is made that this email or
any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [OFF-TOPIC] - Known maximum size of

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
On Thu, 6 May 2004, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> Richard Huxton wrote:

> >> Didn't someone say that RedSheriff had a 10TB postgres database or
> >> something?
> >  From http://www.redsheriff.com/us/news/news_4_201.html
> >
> > "According to the company, RedSheriff processes 10 billion records a
> > month and the total amount of data managed is more than 32TB. Griffin
> > said PostgreSQL has been in production for 12 months with not a single
> > database fault in that time “The stability of the database can not be
> > questioned. Needless to say, we are extremely happy."
> >
> > I think it's safe to assume this is not on a spare Dell 600SC though.
> >

> I think we should have a case study for that. And publish it on our regular
> news/press contacts(Can't imagine the flame war on /...Umm Yummy..:-)). It would
> make a lot of noise and gain visibility for us.
>
> Of course Red Sherrif need to co-operate and spell the details and/or moderate
> what we write, but all in all, 32TB database is uber-cool..:-)

I've tried contacting them. They will not return my phone calls or emails.

Gavin

Re: [OFF-TOPIC] - Known maximum size of the

From
Gaetano Mendola
Date:
Don Vaillancourt wrote:

> Here's a question a little off-topic.
>
> What would a 32TB database hardware configuration look like.  I'm
> assuming 200GB hard-drives which would total 160 of them.  Double that
> if you mirror them.
>
> Am I correct?

Why do you have to mirror them ? Usually a SAN make data redundancy
using a RAID 4 or 5, this depend if you need read performances or
write performances, in the case of Red Sherif I guess that guys are
using RAID 50 ( 0 + 5 ) sets so what you "waste" is a disk for each
set.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola