Re: [ADMIN] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux

From
"Subbiah, Stalin"
Date:
We are looking into Sun V210 (2 x 1 GHz cpu, 2 gig ram, 5.8Os) vs. Dell 1750
(2 x 2.4 GHz xeon, 2 gig ram, RH3.0). database will mostly be
write intensive and disks will be on raid 10. Wondering if 64bit 1 GHz to
32bit 2.4 GHz make a big difference here.

Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of Andrew
Sullivan
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 9:37 AM
To: 'pgsql-performance@postgresql.org'
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] [ADMIN] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 04:05:45PM -0800, Subbiah, Stalin wrote:
> being the key performance booster for postgres.  what is the preferred OS
> for postgres deployment if given an option between linux and solaris. As

One thing this very much depends on is what you're trying to do.
Suns have a reputation for greater reliability.  While my own
experience with Sun hardware has been rather shy of sterling, I _can_
say that it stands head and shoulders above a lot of the x86 gear you
can get.

If you're planning to use Solaris on x86, don't bother.  Solaris is a
slow, bloated pig compared to Linux, at least when it comes to
managing the largish number of processes that Postgres requires.

If pure speed is what you're after, I have found that 2-way, 32 bit
Linux on P-IIIs compares very favourably to 4 way 64 bit Ultra SPARC
IIs.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the
marketplace.
        --Philip Greenspun

Re: [ADMIN] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux

From
"Matt Clark"
Date:
If it's going to be write intensive then the RAID controller will be the most important thing.  A dual p3/500 with a
write-back
cache will smoke either of the boxes you mention using software RAID on write performance.

As for the compute intensive side (complex joins & sorts etc), the Dell will most likely beat the Sun by some distance,
although
what the Sun lacks in CPU power it may make up a bit in memory bandwidth/latency.

Matt

Josh Berkus
Date:
Matt, Stalin,

> As for the compute intensive side (complex joins & sorts etc), the Dell will
most likely beat the Sun by some distance, although
> what the Sun lacks in CPU power it may make up a bit in memory bandwidth/
latency.

Personally, I've been unimpressed by Dell/Xeon; I think the Sun might do
better than you think, comparitively.    On all the Dell servers I've used so
far, I've not seen performance that comes even close to the hardware specs.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: [ADMIN] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Matt, Stalin,
>
> > As for the compute intensive side (complex joins & sorts etc), the Dell will
> most likely beat the Sun by some distance, although
> > what the Sun lacks in CPU power it may make up a bit in memory bandwidth/
> latency.
>
> Personally, I've been unimpressed by Dell/Xeon; I think the Sun might do
> better than you think, comparitively.    On all the Dell servers I've used so
> far, I've not seen performance that comes even close to the hardware specs.

We use a 2600 at work (dual 2.8GHz) with the LSI/Megaraid based battery
backed caching controller, and it flies.  Truly flies.

It's not Dell that's so slow, it's the default adaptec RAID controller or
IDE drives that are slow.  Ours has 533 MHz memory bus, by the way.

matt@ymogen.net
Date:
> Personally, I've been unimpressed by Dell/Xeon; I think the Sun might do
> better than you think, comparitively.    On all the Dell servers I've used
> so
> far, I've not seen performance that comes even close to the hardware
> specs.

It's true that any difference will be far less than the GHz ratio, and I
can't really speak for Dell servers in general, but a pair of 2.4GHz Xeons
in a Dell workstation gets about 23 SPECint_rate2000, and a pair of 1GHz
UltraSparc IIIs in a SunFire V210 gets 10.  The ratios are the same for
other non-FP benchmarks.

Now the Suns do have some architectural advantages, and they used to have
far superior memory bandwidth than intel boxes, and they often still do
for more than 2 cpus, and definitely do for more than four.  But my
personal experience is that for 4 cpus or less the entry level UNIX
offerings from Sun/IBM/HP fell behind in raw performance (FP excepted) two
or three years ago.  The posh hardware's an entirely different matter of
course.

On the other hand, I can think of innumerable non performance related
reasons to buy a 'real UNIX box' as a low end DB server.  CPU performance
is way down the priority list compared with IO throughput, stability,
manageability, support, etc etc.

Given that the original question was about a very heavily write-oriented
environment, I'd take the Sun every day of the week, assuming that those
compile option changes have sorted out the oddly slow PG performance at
last.

Re: [ADMIN] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 08:53:42PM -0000, matt@ymogen.net wrote:

> is way down the priority list compared with IO throughput, stability,
> manageability, support, etc etc.

Indeed, if our Suns actually diabled the broken hardware when they
died, fell over, and rebooted themselves, I'd certainly praise them
to heaven.  But I have to say that the really very good reporting of
failing memory has saved me some headaches.

> environment, I'd take the Sun every day of the week, assuming that those
> compile option changes have sorted out the oddly slow PG performance at
> last.

I seem to have hit a bad batch of Dell hardware recently, which makes
me second this opinion.

I should say, also, that my initial experience of AIX has been
extremely good.  I can't comment on the fun it might involve in the
long haul, of course.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
        --Dennis Ritchie

Date:
> Indeed, if our Suns actually diabled the broken hardware when they
> died, fell over, and rebooted themselves, I'd certainly praise them
> to heaven.  But I have to say that the really very good reporting of
> failing memory has saved me some headaches.

Ha!  Yes, it would seem the obvious thing to do - but as you say, at least
you get told what borked and may even be able to remove it without
stopping the machine.  Sometimes.  Or at least you get a nice lunch from
your Sun reseller.

> I should say, also, that my initial experience of AIX has been
> extremely good.  I can't comment on the fun it might involve in the
> long haul, of course.

The current crop of power4+ boxen is reputed to even be able to recover
from a failed CPU without a restart.  Not *always* one imagines, but
usefully often enough for the banking mob to get sweaty over the feature.
More importantly though, IBM seems committed to supporting all this
goodness under Linux too  (though not BSD I fear - sorry Bruce)

Now if these vendors could somehow eliminate downtime due to human error
we'd be talking *serious* reliablity.

Date:
On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 11:35:47PM -0000, matt@ymogen.net wrote:
> More importantly though, IBM seems committed to supporting all this
> goodness under Linux too  (though not BSD I fear - sorry Bruce)

Although so far they don't.  And let me tell you, AIX's reputation
for being strange is well earned.  It has some real nice features,
though: topas is awfully nice for spotting bottlenecks, and it works
in a terminal so you don't have to have X and all the rest of that
stuff installed.  We're just in the preliminary stages with this
system, but my experience so far has been positive.  On new machines,
though, one _hopes_ that hardware failures are relatively infrequent.

> Now if these vendors could somehow eliminate downtime due to human error
> we'd be talking *serious* reliablity.

You mean making the OS smart enough to know when clearing the arp
cache is a bonehead operation, or just making the hardware smart
enough to realise that the keyswitch really shouldn't be turned
while 40 people are logged in?  (Either way, I agree this'd be an
improvement.  It'd sure make colocation a lot less painful.)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
                --Brad Holland

Date:
> > Now if these vendors could somehow eliminate downtime due to human error
> > we'd be talking *serious* reliablity.
>
> You mean making the OS smart enough to know when clearing the arp
> cache is a bonehead operation, or just making the hardware smart
> enough to realise that the keyswitch really shouldn't be turned
> while 40 people are logged in?  (Either way, I agree this'd be an
> improvement.  It'd sure make colocation a lot less painful.)

Well I was joking really, but those are two very good examples!  Yes, machines should require extra confirmation for
operationslike
those.  Hell, even a simple 'init 0' would be well served by a prompt that says "There are currently 400 network
socketsopen, 50
remote users logged in, and 25 disk IOs per second.  What's more, there's nobody logged in at the console to boot me up
again
afterwards - are you _sure_ you want to shut the machine down?".  It's also crazy that there's no prompt after an 'rm
-rf'(we could
have 'rm -rf --iacceptfullresponsibility' for an unprompted version).

Stuff like that would have saved me from a few embarrassments in the past for sure ;-)

It drives me absolutely nuts every time I see a $staggeringly_expensive clustered server whose sysadmins are scared to
doa failover
test in case something goes wrong!  Or which has worse uptime than my desktop PC because the cluster software's poorly
setup or
administered.  Or which has both machines on the same circuit breaker.  I could go on but it's depressing me.

Favourite anecdote:  A project manager friend of mine had a new 'lights out' datacenter to set up.  The engineers,
adminsand
operators swore blind that everything had been tested in every possible way, and that incredible uptime was guaranteed.
'So if I
just pull this disk out everything will keep working?' he asked, and then pulled the disk out without waiting for an
answer...

Ever since he told me that story I've done exactly that with every piece of so-called 'redundant' hardware a vendor
triesto flog
me.  Ask them to set it up, then just do nasty things to it without asking for permission.  Less than half the gear
makesit through
that filter, and actually you can almost tell from the look on the technical sales rep's face as you reach for the
drive/cable/card/whatever whether it will or won't.

Re: [ADMIN] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux

From
Vivek Khera
Date:

SS> We are looking into Sun V210 (2 x 1 GHz cpu, 2 gig ram, 5.8Os)
SS> vs. Dell 1750 (2 x 2.4 GHz xeon, 2 gig ram, RH3.0). database will
SS> mostly be write intensive and disks will be on raid 10. Wondering
SS> if 64bit 1 GHz to 32bit 2.4 GHz make a big difference here.

Spend all your money speeding up your disk system.  If you're mostly
writing (like my main app) then that's your bottleneck.  I use a dell
2650 with external RAID 5 on 14 spindles.  I didn't need that much
disk space, but went for  maxing out the number of spindles.  RAID 5
was faster than RAID10 or RAID50 with this configuration for me.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD  +1-301-869-4449 x806
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/