Re: [ADMIN] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 11:35:47PM -0000, matt@ymogen.net wrote:
> More importantly though, IBM seems committed to supporting all this
> goodness under Linux too  (though not BSD I fear - sorry Bruce)

Although so far they don't.  And let me tell you, AIX's reputation
for being strange is well earned.  It has some real nice features,
though: topas is awfully nice for spotting bottlenecks, and it works
in a terminal so you don't have to have X and all the rest of that
stuff installed.  We're just in the preliminary stages with this
system, but my experience so far has been positive.  On new machines,
though, one _hopes_ that hardware failures are relatively infrequent.

> Now if these vendors could somehow eliminate downtime due to human error
> we'd be talking *serious* reliablity.

You mean making the OS smart enough to know when clearing the arp
cache is a bonehead operation, or just making the hardware smart
enough to realise that the keyswitch really shouldn't be turned
while 40 people are logged in?  (Either way, I agree this'd be an
improvement.  It'd sure make colocation a lot less painful.)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
                --Brad Holland