psql: add volatility to \df+

From
Neil Conway
Date:
Attached is a patch that adds information about function volatility to
the output of psql's "\df+" slash command. I'll apply this to HEAD
tomorrow, barring any objections.

-Neil

Attachment

Re: psql: add volatility to \df+

Date:
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> Attached is a patch that adds information about function volatility to
> the output of psql's "\df+" slash command. I'll apply this to HEAD
> tomorrow, barring any objections.

+1, but are there not any documentation changes to make?

            regards, tom lane

Re: psql: add volatility to \df+

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Tom Lane wrote:
> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
>> Attached is a patch that adds information about function volatility to
>> the output of psql's "\df+" slash command. I'll apply this to HEAD
>> tomorrow, barring any objections.
>
> +1, but are there not any documentation changes to make?

Well here is a question (just because I haven't seen it) is there a list
of functions and their volatility in the docs?

Joshua D. Drake

>             regards, tom lane

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: psql: add volatility to \df+

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Tue, 2007-26-06 at 20:29 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > +1, but are there not any documentation changes to make?

Sure, I'll update the psql ref page.

> Well here is a question (just because I haven't seen it) is there a list
> of functions and their volatility in the docs?

Not relevant to this thread, but AFAICS there is no explicit list of the
volatilities of the builtin functions.

-Neil

Re: psql: add volatility to \df+

From
Alvaro Herrera
Tom Lane wrote:
> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> > Attached is a patch that adds information about function volatility to
> > the output of psql's "\df+" slash command. I'll apply this to HEAD
> > tomorrow, barring any objections.
>
> +1, but are there not any documentation changes to make?

+1 as well but I'm wondering whether the output is too wide.  Is it
possible to find some shorter string to convey the same meaning?
Ideally, without being a single character.

--
Alvaro Herrera                 http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/CTMLCN8V17R4
"Saca el libro que tu religión considere como el indicado para encontrar la

Re: psql: add volatility to \df+

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Wed, 2007-27-06 at 00:16 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> +1 as well but I'm wondering whether the output is too wide.

Well, the output of \df+ is already likely to be wider than 72
characters, so I'm not sure the patch would really make the situation
materially worse ("\df+ nextval" is 118 characters wide without the
patch, for example). You could also argue that if the user specifies
"+", presumably they are less worried about a concise output format.

> Is it possible to find some shorter string to convey the same meaning?

Nothing obvious comes to mind, but I'm not opposed in principle. Any
suggestions?

-Neil

Re: psql: add volatility to \df+

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Tue, 2007-26-06 at 15:10 -0700, Neil Conway wrote:
> Attached is a patch that adds information about function volatility to
> the output of psql's "\df+" slash command. I'll apply this to HEAD
> tomorrow, barring any objections.

Applied.

-Neil