scan_recycle_buffers

From
"Simon Riggs"
Date:
Patch to implement buffer cache recycling for scans, as being discussed
on pgsql-hackers.

Applies cleanly to cvstip, passes make installcheck when used by default
for all SeqScans. Tested with scan_recycle_buffers = 1,4,8,16

Should be regarded as WIP. Presumably there are some failure conditions
that require the buffer to be reset; these have not yet been considered.

No docs.

SET scan_recyle_buffers = N
default = 0

8 <= N <= 64 would yield benefits according to earlier results

--
  Simon Riggs

Re: scan_recycle_buffers

From
Heikki Linnakangas
Date:
Simon Riggs wrote:
> Patch to implement buffer cache recycling for scans, as being discussed
> on pgsql-hackers.

A few questions come to mind:

How does it behave with Jeff's synchronized seq scans patch?

I wonder if calling RelationGetNumberOfBlocks on every seq scan becomes
a performance issue for tiny tables with for example just 1 page. It
performs an lseek, which isn't free.

What happens if multiple backends choose overlapping sets of buffers to
recycle?

--
   Heikki Linnakangas

Re: scan_recycle_buffers

From
"Simon Riggs"
Date:
On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 20:08 +0000, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > Patch to implement buffer cache recycling for scans, as being discussed
> > on pgsql-hackers.
>
> A few questions come to mind:

Good questions. I don't expect this will go through easily, so we need
to examine these thoughts thoroughly.

> How does it behave with Jeff's synchronized seq scans patch?

I've offered Jeff lots of support throughout that patch's development
and its a feature I'd like to see. The current synch scan patch relies
upon the cache spoiling effect to gain its benefit. I think that can be
tightened up, so that we can make both work.

Currently synch scans help DSS apps but not OLTP. This patch reduces the
negative effects of VACUUM on OLTP workloads, as well as helping DSS.

> I wonder if calling RelationGetNumberOfBlocks on every seq scan becomes
> a performance issue for tiny tables with for example just 1 page. It
> performs an lseek, which isn't free.

Jeff's patch does this also, for similar reasons.

> What happens if multiple backends choose overlapping sets of buffers to
> recycle?

They won't. If a buffer is pinned, it will fall out of the the list of
buffers being recycled and not be reused. So they will each tend towards
a unique list of buffers.

--
  Simon Riggs

Re: scan_recycle_buffers

Date:
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> I wonder if calling RelationGetNumberOfBlocks on every seq scan becomes
> a performance issue for tiny tables with for example just 1 page. It
> performs an lseek, which isn't free.

We do that anyway; but certainly Simon's patch ought not be injecting
an additional one.

            regards, tom lane

Re: scan_recycle_buffers

From
"Simon Riggs"
Date:
> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> > I wonder if calling RelationGetNumberOfBlocks on every seq scan becomes
> > a performance issue for tiny tables with for example just 1 page. It
> > performs an lseek, which isn't free.
>
> We do that anyway; but certainly Simon's patch ought not be injecting
> an additional one.

It should be possible to pass that down from the planner to the
executor, in certain cases. Or at least pass down the possibility that
such a check might be worthwhile.

Another approach might be to make the call after the first ~10 I/Os on a
SeqScan, after which an lseek will be just noise. That way an
all-in-cache scan would never need it at all. Thats easy to arrange
because the hint is invoked from the exec nodes themselves.

We probably need to get some measurements for the main benefit of the
patch before we look further into those thoughts.

--
  Simon Riggs

Re: scan_recycle_buffers

Date:
"Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> We do that anyway; but certainly Simon's patch ought not be injecting
>> an additional one.

> It should be possible to pass that down from the planner to the
> executor, in certain cases.

Huh?  See HeapScanDesc->rs_nblocks.

            regards, tom lane

Re: scan_recycle_buffers

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 20:37 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > I wonder if calling RelationGetNumberOfBlocks on every seq scan becomes
> > a performance issue for tiny tables with for example just 1 page. It
> > performs an lseek, which isn't free.
>
> Jeff's patch does this also, for similar reasons.

As Tom pointed out, the value is already in memory by the time it gets
to my code. My code just reads that value from memory.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: scan_recycle_buffers

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 20:08 +0000, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > Patch to implement buffer cache recycling for scans, as being discussed
> > on pgsql-hackers.
>
> A few questions come to mind:
>
> How does it behave with Jeff's synchronized seq scans patch?

I will test it and post my results. I would expect that the CPU usage
will increase, but it might not make a big difference in the overall
cache hit rate if you count OS buffer cache hits.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: scan_recycle_buffers

From
"Simon Riggs"
Date:
> "Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> > On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 16:45 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> We do that anyway; but certainly Simon's patch ought not be injecting
> >> an additional one.
>
> > It should be possible to pass that down from the planner to the
> > executor, in certain cases.
>
> Huh?  See HeapScanDesc->rs_nblocks.

Many thanks.

--
  Simon Riggs

Re: scan_recycle_buffers

From
"Simon Riggs"
Date:
On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 07:59 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:

> > > It should be possible to pass that down from the planner to the
> > > executor, in certain cases.
> >
> > Huh?  See HeapScanDesc->rs_nblocks.
>
> Many thanks.

New patch enclosed, implementation as you've requested.

Not ready to apply yet, but good for testing.

COPY command now also uses this hint, to allow test results and
discussion. Others could also, perhaps needing different values.

--
  Simon Riggs

Re: scan_recycle_buffers

From
Mark Kirkwood
Date:
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 07:59 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
>>> Huh?  See HeapScanDesc->rs_nblocks.
>> Many thanks.
>
> New patch enclosed, implementation as you've requested.
>
> Not ready to apply yet, but good for testing.

A quick test using the setup for "Buffer cache is not scan resistant"
thread:

Firstly vanilla 8.3 from 20070310:

Shared Buffers  Elapsed  vmstat IO rate
--------------  -------  --------------
400MB           101 s    122 MB/s
128KB            79 s    155 MB/s  [1]

Now apply cycle scan v2:

Shared Buffers  Scan_recycle_buffers Elapsed  vmstat IO rate
--------------  -------------------- -------  -------------
400MB           0                    101 s    122 MB/s
400MB           8                    78 s     155 MB/s
400MB           16                   77 s     155 MB/s
400MB           32                   78 s     155 MB/s
400MB           64                   82 s     148 MB/s
400MB           128                  93 s     128 MB/s

Certainly seems to have the desired effect!

Cheers

Mark

[1] I'm not seeing 166 MB/s like previous 8.2.3 data, however 8.3 PGDATA
is located further toward the end of the disk array - which I suspect is
limiting the IO rate a little.

Re: scan_recycle_buffers

From
"Simon Riggs"
Date:
On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 23:26 +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > New patch enclosed, implementation as you've requested.
> >
> > Not ready to apply yet, but good for testing.
> >

> A quick test using the setup for "Buffer cache is not scan resistant"
> thread:
>
> Firstly vanilla 8.3 from 20070310:
>
> Shared Buffers  Elapsed  vmstat IO rate
> --------------  -------  --------------
> 400MB           101 s    122 MB/s
> 128KB            79 s    155 MB/s  [1]
>
> Now apply cycle scan v2:
>
> Shared Buffers  Scan_recycle_buffers Elapsed  vmstat IO rate
> --------------  -------------------- -------  -------------
> 400MB           0                    101 s    122 MB/s
> 400MB           8                    78 s     155 MB/s
> 400MB           16                   77 s     155 MB/s
> 400MB           32                   78 s     155 MB/s
> 400MB           64                   82 s     148 MB/s
> 400MB           128                  93 s     128 MB/s
>
> Certainly seems to have the desired effect!
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark
>
> [1] I'm not seeing 166 MB/s like previous 8.2.3 data, however 8.3 PGDATA
> is located further toward the end of the disk array - which I suspect is
> limiting the IO rate a little.

That's good news, thanks very much for testing that.

Before we can claim success, we need a few more tests on VACUUM, COPY
and a null test case to show it doesn't effect typical workloads, except
to improve vacuuming. I'll see if we can arrange those at EDB on a
reasonable size system.

--
  Simon Riggs

Re: scan_recycle_buffers

Date:
Where is the final version of this patch?  What patches are stuck in the
patch moderator queue?

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 07:59 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:

> > > Huh?  See HeapScanDesc->rs_nblocks.
> >
> > Many thanks.
>
> New patch enclosed, implementation as you've requested.
>
> Not ready to apply yet, but good for testing.
>
> COPY command now also uses this hint, to allow test results and
> discussion. Others could also, perhaps needing different values.
>
> --
>   Simon Riggs
>   EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: scan_recycle_buffers

From
"Simon Riggs"
Date:
On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 19:10 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Where is the final version of this patch?  What patches are stuck in the
> patch moderator queue?

We already discussed the dependency that exists with this patch and you
accepted that.

--
  Simon Riggs

Re: scan_recycle_buffers

Date:
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 19:10 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Where is the final version of this patch?  What patches are stuck in the
> > patch moderator queue?
>
> We already discussed the dependency that exists with this patch and you
> accepted that.

Oh, that was the patch.  I forgot.  I am getting confused over which
patches are finished by the authors, and which are on hold because of
merge issues or open community discussion issues.

Rather than ask if patches are "completed", I think "finished" is a
better word, meaning the author has finished working on it, and it now
up to the community on how to proceed.