New Translation

From
eetemadi@ce.sharif.edu
Date:
hello,
we are starting a new language translation in postgresql.
I send the pg_controldata message translation in Farsi language.
I sended it to the "Peter Eisentraut" with the name fa_IR.po. He said that
"Is there any use of "fa" outside of "IR"?  Else I would just call the
translation files "fa.po"."
there are some countries that uses this language.
I see that there is a farsi translation in pgadmin and you named it fa_IR.
But it's up to you what name you choose for it, some GNU packages named it
fa and some fa_IR.
It is the translation file attached.

Attachment

Re: New Translation

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
eetemadi@ce.sharif.edu wrote:
> hello,
> we are starting a new language translation in postgresql.
> I send the pg_controldata message translation in Farsi language.
> I sended it to the "Peter Eisentraut" with the name fa_IR.po. He said that
> "Is there any use of "fa" outside of "IR"?  Else I would just call the
> translation files "fa.po"."
> there are some countries that uses this language.
> I see that there is a farsi translation in pgadmin and you named it fa_IR.

This isn't comparable. In pgadmin, we're bound to the canonical names
defined in wxWidgets, which is fa_IR (and there's no other Farsi
version). Thus it seems reasonable to use .fa only if you have a choice.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: New Translation

Date:
Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> writes:
> eetemadi@ce.sharif.edu wrote:
>> I see that there is a farsi translation in pgadmin and you named it fa_IR.

> This isn't comparable. In pgadmin, we're bound to the canonical names
> defined in wxWidgets, which is fa_IR (and there's no other Farsi
> version). Thus it seems reasonable to use .fa only if you have a choice.

Nonetheless, it would also be good to have some consistency between the
core PG server and related projects.  I tend to agree that we should
honor pgadmin's precedent here; it's not a strong argument but the
argument for fa over fa_IR seems even weaker.

            regards, tom lane

Re: New Translation

From
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane wrote:
> Nonetheless, it would also be good to have some consistency between
> the core PG server and related projects.  I tend to agree that we
> should honor pgadmin's precedent here; it's not a strong argument but
> the argument for fa over fa_IR seems even weaker.

"fa_IR" would uselessly restrict the range of users that would be able
to use this translation.  Translations are primarily targeted for a
language, not a country.  If wxWidgets is broken, that's not our
problem.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: New Translation

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
eetemadi@ce.sharif.edu wrote:
> hello,
> we are starting a new language translation in postgresql.
> I send the pg_controldata message translation in Farsi language.

Installed.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: New Translation

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>>Nonetheless, it would also be good to have some consistency between
>>the core PG server and related projects.  I tend to agree that we
>>should honor pgadmin's precedent here; it's not a strong argument but
>>the argument for fa over fa_IR seems even weaker.
>

> "fa_IR" would uselessly restrict the range of users that would be able
> to use this translation.  Translations are primarily targeted for a
> language, not a country.  If wxWidgets is broken, that's not our
> problem.

Please note that wxWidgets also depends on available locales. On Debian,
locale -a returns fa_IR only, and guessing that from fa would be quite
painful. OTOH, usual locale algorithms would strip the country fa_IR if
not found.

Regards,
Andreas