CVSROOT/modules: earthdistance...

From
Sean Chittenden
Date:
Is there any reason that earthdistance gets special treatment in
CVSROOT/modules?  When doing an export of "pgsql" earthdistance gets
plunked in the toplevel directory which isn't correct.  This has been
a long standing annoyance.  Any chance it could be nuked from modules
or at least corrected so that the pgsql module doesn't depend on
earthdistance?

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden

Attachment

Re: CVSROOT/modules: earthdistance...

Date:
Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org> writes:
> Is there any reason that earthdistance gets special treatment in
> CVSROOT/modules?

I think it is a remnant of an abandoned plan to move most or all of
contrib/ out of the server CVS module.  I'd vote for getting rid of the
separate contrib module and putting earthdistance back with the rest,
myself.  But you'll have to convince Marc ;-)

            regards, tom lane

Re: CVSROOT/modules: earthdistance...

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org> writes:
> > Is there any reason that earthdistance gets special treatment in
> > CVSROOT/modules?
>
> I think it is a remnant of an abandoned plan to move most or all of
> contrib/ out of the server CVS module.  I'd vote for getting rid of the
> separate contrib module and putting earthdistance back with the rest,
> myself.  But you'll have to convince Marc ;-)

'K, convincing won't be too difficult, but if I "re-merge" it all, I'm
going to break everyone's checkouts again, which is why I've avoided doing
it ...

Since we are in beta, it should be relatively safe to do ... if I were to
scheduale 'shutting down and re-merging' the various modules back into one
big one again for 11pm tonight, would everyone be okay with that?  It
would mean that all checkin's have to be done before then, and you will
have to re-checkout CVS once finished, as your existing CVS will not be
valid anymore ...

Re: CVSROOT/modules: earthdistance...

From
Joe Conway
Date:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> Since we are in beta, it should be relatively safe to do ... if I were to
> scheduale 'shutting down and re-merging' the various modules back into one
> big one again for 11pm tonight, would everyone be okay with that?  It
> would mean that all checkin's have to be done before then, and you will
> have to re-checkout CVS once finished, as your existing CVS will not be
> valid anymore ...

What's the process for cvsup users? Anything specific we need to do, or
does cvsup handle that transparently?

Joe

Re: CVSROOT/modules: earthdistance...

Date:
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> Since we are in beta, it should be relatively safe to do ... if I were to
> scheduale 'shutting down and re-merging' the various modules back into one
> big one again for 11pm tonight, would everyone be okay with that?  It
> would mean that all checkin's have to be done before then, and you will
> have to re-checkout CVS once finished, as your existing CVS will not be
> valid anymore ...

I'm not sure it's worth that.  Can't you simply add that directory back
into the pgsql-server module, leave pgsql as a module that contains only
pgsql-server, and thus not break anyone's checkout?

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> > Since we are in beta, it should be relatively safe to do ... if I were to
> > scheduale 'shutting down and re-merging' the various modules back into one
> > big one again for 11pm tonight, would everyone be okay with that?  It
> > would mean that all checkin's have to be done before then, and you will
> > have to re-checkout CVS once finished, as your existing CVS will not be
> > valid anymore ...
>
> I'm not sure it's worth that.  Can't you simply add that directory back
> into the pgsql-server module, leave pgsql as a module that contains only
> pgsql-server, and thus not break anyone's checkout?

I can stick with the pgsql-server module, but it will still break things
for you, AFAIK ... CVS saves 'path information' in CVS, no?  So the
modules stuff would be 'broken' until you did a new check out ...

I'm not 100% certain of this, so if anyone knows CVS better, please feel
free to correct .. :?)

Date:
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Joe Conway wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > Since we are in beta, it should be relatively safe to do ... if I were to
> > scheduale 'shutting down and re-merging' the various modules back into one
> > big one again for 11pm tonight, would everyone be okay with that?  It
> > would mean that all checkin's have to be done before then, and you will
> > have to re-checkout CVS once finished, as your existing CVS will not be
> > valid anymore ...
> >

> What's the process for cvsup users? Anything specific we need to do, or
> does cvsup handle that transparently?

As far as I know ... it should be transparent ... CVS saves "paths" in the
CVS subdirectory, which is where it gets screwed up when moving things
around ... cvsup, AFAIK, only takes the output of cvs checkout and works
with that ...

Date:
> > > Since we are in beta, it should be relatively safe to do ... if
> > > I were to scheduale 'shutting down and re-merging' the various
> > > modules back into one big one again for 11pm tonight, would
> > > everyone be okay with that?  It would mean that all checkin's
> > > have to be done before then, and you will have to re-checkout
> > > CVS once finished, as your existing CVS will not be valid
> > > anymore ...
> >
> > I'm not sure it's worth that.  Can't you simply add that directory
> > back into the pgsql-server module, leave pgsql as a module that
> > contains only pgsql-server, and thus not break anyone's checkout?
>
> I can stick with the pgsql-server module, but it will still break
> things for you, AFAIK ... CVS saves 'path information' in CVS, no?
> So the modules stuff would be 'broken' until you did a new check out
>
> I'm not 100% certain of this, so if anyone knows CVS better, please
> feel free to correct .. :?)

<cvs_meister_hat>
The best course of action would be to do:

cd $CVSROOT
mv earthdistance pgsql-server/contrib
ln -s pgsql-server/contrib/earthdistance .
cd ~/open_source/postgresql/CVSROOT
patch -p0 < ~/earthdistance.patch  # edits modules
cvs ci modules
[Send a HEADSUP to -hackers]

[Add a TODO entry for pgsql admins to remove the symlink after pgsql
hits 8.0 or some sufficiently long, but not overly long period of
time]

cvs up's, cvs co's with old scripts, and new cvs exports/co's will
work as expected.
</cvs_meister_hat>

-sc

PS After 7.4, could someone go through the motions to change $Id$ to
$PostgreSQL$?

--
Sean Chittenden