MVCC doc improvements

From
Neil Conway
Date:
This patch improves the MVCC documentation: I added some additional
discussion of deadlock conditions, removed a mis-statement about index
locking, and made minor edits in a couple other places.

Cheers,

Neil

Re: MVCC doc improvements

Date:
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> This patch improves the MVCC documentation: I added some additional
> discussion of deadlock conditions, removed a mis-statement about index
> locking, and made minor edits in a couple other places.

> -    </para>
> -
> -    <para>
> -     In short, B-tree indexes are the recommended index type for concurrent
> -     applications.
>      </para>

AFAICS, that is not a misstatement.  B-trees are still the only
recommended index type for concurrent-update situations ...
hash has deadlock issues and the other two are just plain not
concurrent.

            regards, tom lane

Re: MVCC doc improvements

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 11:35, Tom Lane wrote:
> AFAICS, that is not a misstatement.  B-trees are still the only
> recommended index type for concurrent-update situations ...
> hash has deadlock issues and the other two are just plain not
> concurrent.

Yes, but what I disagree with is the recommendation that "concurrent
applications" should use B-trees -- a concurrent application that wishes
to index non-scalar data won't have a lot of success using B-trees,
page-level locks or not...

Cheers,

Neil

Re: MVCC doc improvements

Date:
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> Yes, but what I disagree with is the recommendation that "concurrent
> applications" should use B-trees -- a concurrent application that wishes
> to index non-scalar data won't have a lot of success using B-trees,

True, there are cases where you have no choice.  That does not mean that
we should fail to make this recommendation for cases where you have a
choice.

I'm not objecting to improving the text.  I am objecting to deleting it
outright...

            regards, tom lane

Re: MVCC doc improvements

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 11:53, Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm not objecting to improving the text.  I am objecting to deleting it
> outright...

Ok, fair enough. I've attached a revised version of the patch -- let me
know you think it needs further improvements.

Cheers,

Neil

Attachment

Re: MVCC doc improvements

Date:

Neil Conway wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 11:53, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I'm not objecting to improving the text.  I am objecting to deleting it
> > outright...
>
> Ok, fair enough. I've attached a revised version of the patch -- let me
> know you think it needs further improvements.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Neil

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Re: MVCC doc improvements

Date:
Patch applied.  Thanks.

Neil Conway wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 11:53, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I'm not objecting to improving the text.  I am objecting to deleting it
> > outright...
>
> Ok, fair enough. I've attached a revised version of the patch -- let me
> know you think it needs further improvements.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Neil

[ Attachment, skipping... ]