contrib/dbmirror

From
Steven Singer
Date:
Could you apply this patch for the next 7.3 beta

It includes
-Support for mirroring tables in different Schema's
-Improved documentation for compiling with 7.1.x and 7.2.x
-Fixes a buffer overrun bug.

Thanks

--
Steven Singer                                       ssinger@navtechinc.com
Aircraft Performance Systems                Phone:  519-747-1170 ext 282

Attachment

Re: contrib/dbmirror

Date:

Steven Singer wrote:

> Could you apply this patch for the next 7.3 beta
>
> It includes
> -Support for mirroring tables in different Schema's
> -Improved documentation for compiling with 7.1.x and 7.2.x
> -Fixes a buffer overrun bug.
>

> Thanks
>

> --
> Steven Singer                                       ssinger@navtechinc.com
> Aircraft Performance Systems                Phone:  519-747-1170 ext 282
> Navtech Systems Support Inc.                AFTN:   CYYZXNSX SITA: YYZNSCR
> Waterloo, Ontario                           ARINC:  YKFNSCR

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: contrib/dbmirror

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
I would like to request that contrib/dbmirror be removed from the
repository because it is GPL-licensed and was added after 7.2, so it does
not qualify for the "it has always been there" exception.

In my mind, this package it much better kept at gborg.

Bruce Momjian writes:

> Your patch has been added to the PostgreSQL unapplied patches list at:
>
>     http://candle.pha.pa.us/cgi-bin/pgpatches
>
> I will try to apply it within the next 48 hours.

> Steven Singer wrote:
> >
> > Could you apply this patch for the next 7.3 beta
> >
> > It includes
> > -Support for mirroring tables in different Schema's
> > -Improved documentation for compiling with 7.1.x and 7.2.x
> > -Fixes a buffer overrun bug.
> >

> > Thanks
> >

> > --
> > Steven Singer                                       ssinger@navtechinc.com
> > Aircraft Performance Systems                Phone:  519-747-1170 ext 282
> > Navtech Systems Support Inc.                AFTN:   CYYZXNSX SITA: YYZNSCR
> > Waterloo, Ontario                           ARINC:  YKFNSCR

> [ Attachment, skipping... ]

> > http://archives.postgresql.org

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: contrib/dbmirror

Date:
I am not sure we should be removing /contrib stuff during beta, though I
understand the idea that gborg would be a better place for it.  How do
others feel?  Should we move rserv too?  I don't think the license alone
makes the move warranted, but if we moved both replication solutions,
parhaps for 7.4, that might make sense.

Date:
> I am not sure we should be removing /contrib stuff during beta, though I
> understand the idea that gborg would be a better place for it.  How do
> others feel?

We had agreed to try to relicense or remove all GPL-licensed contrib
items, so that the distribution would have one uniform BSD license.
I take the blame for not doing anything about that in the past cycle,
but AFAIK that is still the agreed-to plan.

In view of that, Peter is quite right to object to adding a new
GPL-licensed contrib item in 7.3; it's going in the wrong direction.

I think the ideal solution would be for the dbmirror author(s) to agree
to relicense it as BSD.  If no go, then push it over to gborg.

            regards, tom lane

Re: contrib/dbmirror

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I am not sure we should be removing /contrib stuff during beta, though I
> understand the idea that gborg would be a better place for it.  How do
> others feel?  Should we move rserv too?  I don't think the license alone
> makes the move warranted, but if we moved both replication solutions,
> parhaps for 7.4, that might make sense.

Okay, I agree with Peter (re: moving dbmirror to gborg pre-v7.3), since
its something that is actually new in v7.3 (ala libpqxx) ... and I agree
with you that rserv should join it on gborg *after* v7.3 is released ...

Re: contrib/dbmirror

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> Okay, I agree with Peter (re: moving dbmirror to gborg pre-v7.3), since
> its something that is actually new in v7.3 (ala libpqxx) ... and I agree
> with you that rserv should join it on gborg *after* v7.3 is released ...

Speaking of contrib/rserv ... has anyone updated it for 7.3?  I have not
looked at it, but I'd be unsurprised if it needs work for schemas.

            regards, tom lane

Re: contrib/dbmirror

From
Steven Singer
Date:
On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> I think the ideal solution would be for the dbmirror author(s) to agree
> to relicense it as BSD.  If no go, then push it over to gborg.
>
>             regards, tom lane

I'm wiling to talk to some people here at Navtech about relicensing
dbmirror as BSD but, if its going to be moved to gborg anyway in 7.4 then
my preference would be to not relicense it.

If its going to stay in contrib for the forseable future(at least until
the postgres-r replication stuff is ready) then there's a good chance I
can arrange for it to be relicensed.

--

Date:
Steven Singer <ssinger@navtechinc.com> writes:
> On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think the ideal solution would be for the dbmirror author(s) to agree
>> to relicense it as BSD.  If no go, then push it over to gborg.

> I'm wiling to talk to some people here at Navtech about relicensing
> dbmirror as BSD but, if its going to be moved to gborg anyway in 7.4 then
> my preference would be to not relicense it.
> If its going to stay in contrib for the forseable future(at least until
> the postgres-r replication stuff is ready) then there's a good chance I
> can arrange for it to be relicensed.

I understand your feeling, but that leaves us with a hard decision.
Marc wants to skinny down contrib, which means pushing out stuff that
isn't fairly widely used.  dbmirror being a new item, it doesn't have
any track record of use; and so there's very little to set on the other
side of the scales against the its-the-wrong-license argument.

I haven't tried dbmirror myself, but it looks useful; I'd vote for
keeping it in the distribution *if* the license is BSD.  Otherwise
I'll have to vote not to.

            regards, tom lane

Re: contrib/dbmirror

Date:
Patch applied.  Thanks.

Tom Lane wrote:
> Steven Singer <ssinger@navtechinc.com> writes:
> > On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> I think the ideal solution would be for the dbmirror author(s) to agree
> >> to relicense it as BSD.  If no go, then push it over to gborg.
>
> > I'm wiling to talk to some people here at Navtech about relicensing
> > dbmirror as BSD but, if its going to be moved to gborg anyway in 7.4 then
> > my preference would be to not relicense it.
> > If its going to stay in contrib for the forseable future(at least until
> > the postgres-r replication stuff is ready) then there's a good chance I
> > can arrange for it to be relicensed.
>
> I understand your feeling, but that leaves us with a hard decision.
> Marc wants to skinny down contrib, which means pushing out stuff that
> isn't fairly widely used.  dbmirror being a new item, it doesn't have
> any track record of use; and so there's very little to set on the other
> side of the scales against the its-the-wrong-license argument.
>
> I haven't tried dbmirror myself, but it looks useful; I'd vote for
> keeping it in the distribution *if* the license is BSD.  Otherwise
> I'll have to vote not to.

With no feedback from dbmirror author;  added to TODO:

    * Move dbmirror and rserv from /contrib to gborg.postgresql.org

Re: contrib/dbmirror

From
Steven Singer
Date:
Can you give me another 24 hours before moving it?

I forwarded the relicense request up to the decision makers  here and he
said that he would look it over and he was SUPPOSED to get get to me last
week.  I'll try bugging him for some kind of answer tomorrow.

> With no feedback from dbmirror author;  added to TODO:
>
>     * Move dbmirror and rserv from /contrib to gborg.postgresql.org

--
Steven Singer                                       ssinger@navtechinc.com
Aircraft Performance Systems                Phone:  519-747-1170 ext 282
Navtech Systems Support Inc.                AFTN:   CYYZXNSX SITA: YYZNSCR
Waterloo, Ontario                           ARINC:  YKFNSCR

Re: contrib/dbmirror

Date:
Yes, but RC1 my be on Friday.

Date:
On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Steven Singer <ssinger@navtechinc.com> writes:
> >
> > > I'm wiling to talk to some people here at Navtech about relicensing
> > > dbmirror as BSD but, if its going to be moved to gborg anyway in 7.4 then
> > > my preference would be to not relicense it.
> > > If its going to stay in contrib for the forseable future(at least until
> > > the postgres-r replication stuff is ready) then there's a good chance I
> > > can arrange for it to be relicensed.
> >
> > I understand your feeling, but that leaves us with a hard decision.
> > Marc wants to skinny down contrib, which means pushing out stuff that
> > isn't fairly widely used.  dbmirror being a new item, it doesn't have
> > any track record of use; and so there's very little to set on the other
> > side of the scales against the its-the-wrong-license argument.
> >
> > I haven't tried dbmirror myself, but it looks useful; I'd vote for
> > keeping it in the distribution *if* the license is BSD.  Otherwise
> > I'll have to vote not to.
>
> With no feedback from dbmirror author;  added to TODO:
>
>     * Move dbmirror and rserv from /contrib to gborg.postgresql.org

Looks good to me ...

Re: contrib/dbmirror

From
Steven Singer
Date:
I've received permission to relicense it under the BSD license.
Attatched is a patch that changes the copyright notice on the files
The COPYING file should also be removed from CVS as it no longer applies.

> Yes, but RC1 my be on Friday.

> Steven Singer wrote:
> > On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > Can you give me another 24 hours before moving it?
> >
> > I forwarded the relicense request up to the decision makers  here and he
> > said that he would look it over and he was SUPPOSED to get get to me last
> > week.  I'll try bugging him for some kind of answer tomorrow.
> >

> > > With no feedback from dbmirror author;  added to TODO:
> > >
> > >     * Move dbmirror and rserv from /contrib to gborg.postgresql.org
> > >

> > --
> > Steven Singer                                       ssinger@navtechinc.com
> > Aircraft Performance Systems                Phone:  519-747-1170 ext 282
> > Navtech Systems Support Inc.                AFTN:   CYYZXNSX SITA: YYZNSCR
> > Waterloo, Ontario                           ARINC:  YKFNSCR

--
Steven Singer                                       ssinger@navtechinc.com
Aircraft Performance Systems                Phone:  519-747-1170 ext 282
Navtech Systems Support Inc.                AFTN:   CYYZXNSX SITA: YYZNSCR
Waterloo, Ontario                           ARINC:  YKFNSCR

Attachment

Re: contrib/dbmirror

Date:
License updated to BSD.  TODO item removed.