small explain patch

From
Liam Stewart
Date:
Attached is a small patch that clarifies EXPLAIN output a little bit.
Output can be a bit confusing if there are spaces in table and index
names and aliases so the names in question are surrounded by ' '.
Aliases are explicitly labelled.

Liam

--
Liam Stewart :: Red Hat Canada, Ltd. :: liams@redhat.com

Attachment

Re: small explain patch

Date:
Liam Stewart <liams@redhat.com> writes:
> Attached is a small patch that clarifies EXPLAIN output a little bit.
> Output can be a bit confusing if there are spaces in table and index
> names and aliases so the names in question are surrounded by ' '.

If we do this, we should use double quotes "...".  A double-quoted
string is an identifier, a single-quoted string is a literal; and
it doesn't help anyone for the system's messages to get it backwards.
(I've been intending for awhile to fix all the elog messages that get
this wrong.)

How would you feel about quoting only if necessary
(cf. quote_identifier)?

> Aliases are explicitly labelled.

I think that's just noise.  The explain output is verbose enough without
adding noise words...

            regards, tom lane

Re: small explain patch

From
Liam Stewart
Date:
On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 05:42:13PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> If we do this, we should use double quotes "...".  A double-quoted
> string is an identifier, a single-quoted string is a literal; and
> it doesn't help anyone for the system's messages to get it backwards.
> (I've been intending for awhile to fix all the elog messages that get
> this wrong.)

Sure.

> How would you feel about quoting only if necessary
> (cf. quote_identifier)?

That would work nicely. I didn't put the call to quote_identifier inside
the stringStringInfo macro.

> > Aliases are explicitly labelled.
>
> I think that's just noise.  The explain output is verbose enough without
> adding noise words...

Hmm.. I kinda like having it there, but you are right in that it isn't
neccessary and doesn't add much. I'll live with it being out.

Liam

--

Date:
Liam Stewart <liams@redhat.com> writes:
>> How would you feel about quoting only if necessary
>> (cf. quote_identifier)?

> That would work nicely. I didn't put the call to quote_identifier inside
> the stringStringInfo macro.

Actually, stringStringInfo seems entirely pointless here; the result of
RelationGetRelationName can't be NULL.  The other places where it's
being used seem pointless as well.  I removed it while applying your
patch...

            regards, tom lane