Copying data from a tab delimited file into a table

From
Carol Walter
Date:
I'm trying to copy the data from a tab delimited file into a postgres table. The table has a primary key that's
designatedas a serial data type. When I try to do the copy, it "blows up" unless I put a integer number in the field
wherethe primary key will be. That defeats the purpose of designating this field as serial. When I put data into that
fieldthe copy works but an insert statement fails because it says there is a duplicate key. How can I get the data from
thisfile into my table and still have the key field designated with a "serial data type"?

Thanks,
Carol

Re: Copying data from a tab delimited file into a table

From
James David Smith
Date:
On 11 February 2014 17:13, Carol Walter <carol.walter@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to copy the data from a tab delimited file into a postgres table. The table has a primary key that's
designatedas a serial data type. When I try to do the copy, it "blows up" unless I put a integer number in the field
wherethe primary key will be. That defeats the purpose of designating this field as serial. When I put data into that
fieldthe copy works but an insert statement fails because it says there is a duplicate key. How can I get the data from
thisfile into my table and still have the key field designated with a "serial data type"?

> Thanks,
> Carol

Sorry, should have sent the below to the whole list:

Hi Carol,

Why not import the data first, and then add the serial column
afterwards? That's what I'd do.

James

Re: Copying data from a tab delimited file into a table

From
Carol Walter
Date:
FYI, I was able to do this with the COPY command which takes a field list as arguments. I don't know if the "\copy"
commanddoes or not, but I was able to use COPY and it worked.

On Feb 11, 2014, at 12:13 PM, Carol Walter wrote:

> I'm trying to copy the data from a tab delimited file into a postgres table. The table has a primary key that's
designatedas a serial data type. When I try to do the copy, it "blows up" unless I put a integer number in the field
wherethe primary key will be. That defeats the purpose of designating this field as serial. When I put data into that
fieldthe copy works but an insert statement fails because it says there is a duplicate key. How can I get the data from
thisfile into my table and still have the key field designated with a "serial data type"?

> Thanks,
> Carol

Re: Copying data from a tab delimited file into a table

From
Luca Ferrari
Date:
On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 8:21 PM, Carol Walter
<carol.walter@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> FYI, I was able to do this with the COPY command which takes a field list as arguments. I don't know if the "\copy"
commanddoes or not, but I was able to use COPY and it worked.

Yes it does (see http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/app-psql.html).

Luca