Re: Copying data from a tab delimited file into a table - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Carol Walter
Subject Re: Copying data from a tab delimited file into a table
Date
List pgsql-novice
FYI, I was able to do this with the COPY command which takes a field list as arguments. I don't know if the "\copy"
commanddoes or not, but I was able to use COPY and it worked.

On Feb 11, 2014, at 12:13 PM, Carol Walter wrote:

> I'm trying to copy the data from a tab delimited file into a postgres table. The table has a primary key that's
designatedas a serial data type. When I try to do the copy, it "blows up" unless I put a integer number in the field
wherethe primary key will be. That defeats the purpose of designating this field as serial. When I put data into that
fieldthe copy works but an insert statement fails because it says there is a duplicate key. How can I get the data from
thisfile into my table and still have the key field designated with a "serial data type"?