Re: Copying data from a tab delimited file into a table - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From James David Smith
Subject Re: Copying data from a tab delimited file into a table
Date
List pgsql-novice
On 11 February 2014 17:13, Carol Walter <carol.walter@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to copy the data from a tab delimited file into a postgres table. The table has a primary key that's
designatedas a serial data type. When I try to do the copy, it "blows up" unless I put a integer number in the field
wherethe primary key will be. That defeats the purpose of designating this field as serial. When I put data into that
fieldthe copy works but an insert statement fails because it says there is a duplicate key. How can I get the data from
thisfile into my table and still have the key field designated with a "serial data type"?

> Thanks,
> Carol

Sorry, should have sent the below to the whole list:

Hi Carol,

Why not import the data first, and then add the serial column
afterwards? That's what I'd do.

James