Installation 8.4 > 9.1

From
James David Smith
Date:
Dear all,

I've got myself into a bit of a mess with my versions. I'm running
Windows 7 on a 64bit machine. When I start PgAdmin I get two servers -
8.4 and 9.1, both running on the same port number. I can double click
and login to either of them fine - although when I do SELECT VERSION()
in either of them, it always says 8.4. So I suspect that although it's
allowing me to double click and login to version 9, it's just kidding
me. I tested this by going into Windows Services and manually
disabling 8.4 server - and then trying to login to 9.1 through
PgAdmin. I got this message:
__________
could not connect to server: connection refused
(0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and
accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432? could not connect to
server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on
host "localhost" (127.0.0.1) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port
5432?
__________

Could someone guide me as the best way to sort this mess out please?
I've used PgAdmin to do a back-up of my server, so maybe deleting both
installs of PostgreSQL and starting again might be best? Though I'm
worried about losing a few days in trying to do this which I can't
really afford at the moment.

Thanks

James

Re: Installation 8.4 > 9.1

From
Kevin Grittner
Date:
James David Smith <james.david.smith@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got myself into a bit of a mess with my versions. I'm running
> Windows 7 on a 64bit machine. When I start PgAdmin I get two servers -
> 8.4 and 9.1, both running on the same port number. I can double click
> and login to either of them fine - although when I do SELECT VERSION()
> in either of them, it always says 8.4. So I suspect that although it's
> allowing me to double click and login to version 9, it's just kidding
> me. I tested this by going into Windows Services and manually
> disabling 8.4 server - and then trying to login to 9.1 through
> PgAdmin. I got this message:
> __________
> could not connect to server: connection refused
> (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and
> accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432? could not connect to
> server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on
> host "localhost" (127.0.0.1) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port
> 5432?
> __________
>
> Could someone guide me as the best way to sort this mess out please?

It's going to be hard for anyone to make any concrete suggetions
without more detail about the exact steps you took to get into your
current predicament.

> I've used PgAdmin to do a back-up of my server, so maybe deleting both
> installs of PostgreSQL and starting again might be best? Though I'm
> worried about losing a few days in trying to do this which I can't
> really afford at the moment.

It doesn't sound as though anything that extreme is indicated;
although I stongly recommend that you hang onto both backups until
you have it all sorted out and running smoothly for a while.

-Kevin

Re: Installation 8.4 > 9.1

From
James David Smith
Date:
Hi Kevin. Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what other detail to
provide to be honest? I've had 8.4 installed for a year or so. Then
about six months ago, maybe longer, I downloaded the 9.1 binary and
installed it. I thought it would overwrite the 8.4, but instead if
seemed to install alongside it. I didn't think that this was a
problem, and indeed I thought that I was using version 9 until today
when I did SELECT VERSION () and found out that I wasn't.  It might
have been longer before I spotted but I was trying to use one of the
new functions in 9.1 and it didn't work - hence checking my version.
Thanks.

On 31 January 2013 20:53, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:
> James David Smith <james.david.smith@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've got myself into a bit of a mess with my versions. I'm running
>> Windows 7 on a 64bit machine. When I start PgAdmin I get two servers -
>> 8.4 and 9.1, both running on the same port number. I can double click
>> and login to either of them fine - although when I do SELECT VERSION()
>> in either of them, it always says 8.4. So I suspect that although it's
>> allowing me to double click and login to version 9, it's just kidding
>> me. I tested this by going into Windows Services and manually
>> disabling 8.4 server - and then trying to login to 9.1 through
>> PgAdmin. I got this message:
>> __________
>> could not connect to server: connection refused
>> (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and
>> accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432? could not connect to
>> server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on
>> host "localhost" (127.0.0.1) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port
>> 5432?
>> __________
>>
>> Could someone guide me as the best way to sort this mess out please?
>
> It's going to be hard for anyone to make any concrete suggetions
> without more detail about the exact steps you took to get into your
> current predicament.
>
>> I've used PgAdmin to do a back-up of my server, so maybe deleting both
>> installs of PostgreSQL and starting again might be best? Though I'm
>> worried about losing a few days in trying to do this which I can't
>> really afford at the moment.
>
> It doesn't sound as though anything that extreme is indicated;
> although I stongly recommend that you hang onto both backups until
> you have it all sorted out and running smoothly for a while.
>
> -Kevin

Re: Installation 8.4 > 9.1

From
Kevin Grittner
Date:
James David Smith <james.david.smith@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:
>> James David Smith <james.david.smith@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've got myself into a bit of a mess with my versions. I'm
>>> running Windows 7 on a 64bit machine. When I start PgAdmin I get two servers -
>>> 8.4 and 9.1, both running on the same port number. I can double click
>>> and login to either of them fine - although when I do SELECT VERSION()
>>> in either of them, it always says 8.4. So I suspect that although it's
>>> allowing me to double click and login to version 9, it's just kidding
>>> me. I tested this by going into Windows Services and manually
>>> disabling 8.4 server - and then trying to login to 9.1 through
>>> PgAdmin. I got this message:
>>> __________
>>> could not connect to server: connection refused
>>> (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and
>>> accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432? could not connect to
>>> server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on
>>> host "localhost" (127.0.0.1) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port
>>> 5432?
>>> __________
>>>
>>> Could someone guide me as the best way to sort this mess out please?
>>
>> It's going to be hard for anyone to make any concrete suggetions
>> without more detail about the exact steps you took to get into your
>> current predicament.
>
> I've had 8.4 installed for a year or so. Then
> about six months ago, maybe longer, I downloaded the 9.1 binary and
> installed it. I thought it would overwrite the 8.4, but instead if
> seemed to install alongside it. I didn't think that this was a
> problem, and indeed I thought that I was using version 9 until today
> when I did SELECT VERSION () and found out that I wasn't.  It might
> have been longer before I spotted but I was trying to use one of the
> new functions in 9.1 and it didn't work - hence checking my version.

So it sounds like you haven't actually created anything in the 9.1
cluster yet?  If that is true, I owuld configure the 9.1 cluster to
use a different port.  It also needs to have a different data
directory, but if it is startign up OK when there is no port
collision, that must already be covered.  I would start both, and
run pg_dumpall (from the bin directory for 9.1) to dump the 8.4
cluster and pipe the output to the 9.1 server.

-Kevin

Re: Installation 8.4 > 9.1

From
James David Smith
Date:
Dear Kevin,

Just to say thanks and that I've sorted this now. I ended up backing
up all my databases, totally uninstalling anything to do with
PostgreSQL or PostGIS, and then reinstalling. I then restored my
databases. Everything seems to be working fine now.

James