Re: Installation 8.4 > 9.1 - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Installation 8.4 > 9.1
Date
List pgsql-novice
James David Smith <james.david.smith@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:
>> James David Smith <james.david.smith@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've got myself into a bit of a mess with my versions. I'm
>>> running Windows 7 on a 64bit machine. When I start PgAdmin I get two servers -
>>> 8.4 and 9.1, both running on the same port number. I can double click
>>> and login to either of them fine - although when I do SELECT VERSION()
>>> in either of them, it always says 8.4. So I suspect that although it's
>>> allowing me to double click and login to version 9, it's just kidding
>>> me. I tested this by going into Windows Services and manually
>>> disabling 8.4 server - and then trying to login to 9.1 through
>>> PgAdmin. I got this message:
>>> __________
>>> could not connect to server: connection refused
>>> (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and
>>> accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432? could not connect to
>>> server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on
>>> host "localhost" (127.0.0.1) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port
>>> 5432?
>>> __________
>>>
>>> Could someone guide me as the best way to sort this mess out please?
>>
>> It's going to be hard for anyone to make any concrete suggetions
>> without more detail about the exact steps you took to get into your
>> current predicament.
>
> I've had 8.4 installed for a year or so. Then
> about six months ago, maybe longer, I downloaded the 9.1 binary and
> installed it. I thought it would overwrite the 8.4, but instead if
> seemed to install alongside it. I didn't think that this was a
> problem, and indeed I thought that I was using version 9 until today
> when I did SELECT VERSION () and found out that I wasn't.  It might
> have been longer before I spotted but I was trying to use one of the
> new functions in 9.1 and it didn't work - hence checking my version.

So it sounds like you haven't actually created anything in the 9.1
cluster yet?  If that is true, I owuld configure the 9.1 cluster to
use a different port.  It also needs to have a different data
directory, but if it is startign up OK when there is no port
collision, that must already be covered.  I would start both, and
run pg_dumpall (from the bin directory for 9.1) to dump the 8.4
cluster and pipe the output to the 9.1 server.

-Kevin