... - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From News Subsystem
Subject ...
Date
List pgsql-novice
Fri, 01 Feb 2013 02:26:21 -0800 (PST)
 01 Feb 2013 02:26:21 -0800 (PST)
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 02:26:21 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Installation 8.4 > 9.1
From: Johan Nel <johan.nel@xsinet.co.za>
To: pgsql-novice@postgresql.org

James
> Windows 7 on a 64bit machine. When I start PgAdmin I get two servers -
>
> 8.4 and 9.1, both running on the same port number. I can double click
>
> and login to either of them fine - although when I do SELECT VERSION()
>
> in either of them, it always says 8.4. So I suspect that although it's
>
> allowing me to double click and login to version 9, it's just kidding
>
> me. I tested this by going into Windows Services and manually
>
> disabling 8.4 server - and then trying to login to 9.1 through
>
> PgAdmin. I got this message:

PG should have complained that it has another installation already using that port.  Specially if 8.4 was running while
youinstalled 9.1

Have a look if you can find the database folder for 9.1, and look what the port number is in the postgresql.conf file.
Your Windows Service should have that in the executable startup parameters if you have difficulty in finding the
databasefolder.

It might be that you just need to setup your pgAdmin connection to the correct port.

HTH,

Johan Nel
Durban, South Africa.