Re: Installation 8.4 > 9.1 - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Installation 8.4 > 9.1
Date
List pgsql-novice
James David Smith <james.david.smith@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got myself into a bit of a mess with my versions. I'm running
> Windows 7 on a 64bit machine. When I start PgAdmin I get two servers -
> 8.4 and 9.1, both running on the same port number. I can double click
> and login to either of them fine - although when I do SELECT VERSION()
> in either of them, it always says 8.4. So I suspect that although it's
> allowing me to double click and login to version 9, it's just kidding
> me. I tested this by going into Windows Services and manually
> disabling 8.4 server - and then trying to login to 9.1 through
> PgAdmin. I got this message:
> __________
> could not connect to server: connection refused
> (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and
> accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432? could not connect to
> server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on
> host "localhost" (127.0.0.1) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port
> 5432?
> __________
>
> Could someone guide me as the best way to sort this mess out please?

It's going to be hard for anyone to make any concrete suggetions
without more detail about the exact steps you took to get into your
current predicament.

> I've used PgAdmin to do a back-up of my server, so maybe deleting both
> installs of PostgreSQL and starting again might be best? Though I'm
> worried about losing a few days in trying to do this which I can't
> really afford at the moment.

It doesn't sound as though anything that extreme is indicated;
although I stongly recommend that you hang onto both backups until
you have it all sorted out and running smoothly for a while.

-Kevin