postgre linkage with non-postgre db

From
"Petronenko D.S."
Date:
Hello,

Can i get data in postgre from non-postgre db?
For example, can i link mysql db over odbc connection to postgre
database? So, i will be able to use queries in PG like select * from
table1, where table1 is from mysql db.

Thanks.

Re: postgre linkage with non-postgre db

From
Date:
> Hello,
>
> Can i get data in postgre from non-postgre db?
> For example, can i link mysql db over odbc
> connection to postgre
> database? So, i will be able to use queries in PG
> like select * from
> table1, where table1 is from mysql db.
>
> Thanks.

isn't this the job of the application?

i use php's adodb's db abstraction layer and this kind
of think s/b trivial.

you need the connection information for both
databases, of course.

you just make a call to a db and pass all the
connection information.  of course, the syntax of the
call and the connection information will be different
(some could be the same, like password, but you know
what i mean).

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: postgre linkage with non-postgre db

From
Richard Broersma Jr
Date:
> Hello,
>
> Can i get data in postgre from non-postgre db?
> For example, can i link mysql db over odbc connection to postgre
> database? So, i will be able to use queries in PG like select * from
> table1, where table1 is from mysql db.
>
> Thanks.

I think that this thread on the mailing list might be of some help.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-06/msg01207.php

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: postgre linkage with non-postgre db

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 07:39:05PM +0300, Petronenko D.S. wrote:
> Can i get data in postgre from non-postgre db?

The name is PostgreSQL or Postgres, not postgre.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ.html#item1.1

> For example, can i link mysql db over odbc connection to postgre
> database? So, i will be able to use queries in PG like select * from
> table1, where table1 is from mysql db.

If you have Perl installed then you can do this with dbi-link or
by writing your own PL/PerlU function that uses DBI.  You could
create a view to hide the function call, although a limitation of
doing so is that WHERE restrictions would be applied after fetching
the entire result set, which would be inefficient if you want only
a few rows from a large table.

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link/

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: postgre linkage with non-postgre db

From
Sean Davis

On 7/12/06 12:39 PM, "Petronenko D.S." <petronenko@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can i get data in postgre from non-postgre db?
> For example, can i link mysql db over odbc connection to postgre
> database? So, i will be able to use queries in PG like select * from
> table1, where table1 is from mysql db.

See DBI-Link:

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link/

Sean

The name of the game (was Re: postgre linkage with non-postgre db)

Date:
Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 07:39:05PM +0300, Petronenko D.S. wrote:
>> Can i get data in postgre from non-postgre db?

> The name is PostgreSQL or Postgres, not postgre.

It might help to explain that the pronunciation is "post-gres" or
"post-gres-cue-ell", not "post-gray-something".

I heard people making this same mistake in presentations at this
past weekend's Postgres Anniversary Conference :-(  Arguably,
the 1996 decision to call it PostgreSQL instead of reverting to
plain Postgres was the single worst mistake this project ever made.
It seems far too late to change now, though.

            regards, tom lane

Re: The name of the game (was Re: postgre linkage with non-postgre db)

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 11:42:54PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
> > On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 07:39:05PM +0300, Petronenko D.S. wrote:
> >> Can i get data in postgre from non-postgre db?
>
> > The name is PostgreSQL or Postgres, not postgre.
>
> It might help to explain that the pronunciation is "post-gres" or
> "post-gres-cue-ell", not "post-gray-something".

The FAQ link I included gives the correct pronunciation and has an
MP3 of somebody saying it; I suppose I could have quoted the FAQ
item in addition to posting the link.

> I heard people making this same mistake in presentations at this
> past weekend's Postgres Anniversary Conference :-(  Arguably,
> the 1996 decision to call it PostgreSQL instead of reverting to
> plain Postgres was the single worst mistake this project ever made.
> It seems far too late to change now, though.

Too bad :-(

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: The name of the game

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: The name of the game (was Re: postgre linkage with non-postgre db)

From
"Andrej Ricnik-Bay"
Date:
On 7/13/06, Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> wrote:

> > I heard people making this same mistake in presentations at this
> > past weekend's Postgres Anniversary Conference
> Too bad :-(
Probably stems from the common misconception that
SQL should be pronounced as See-quell, hence
postgreh-See-Quell, or postgreh if you don't feel like
saying see-quell...

:}

Cheers,
Andrej

Re: The name of the game (was Re: postgre linkage with

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
>> On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 07:39:05PM +0300, Petronenko D.S. wrote:
>>> Can i get data in postgre from non-postgre db?
>
>> The name is PostgreSQL or Postgres, not postgre.
>
> It might help to explain that the pronunciation is "post-gres" or
> "post-gres-cue-ell", not "post-gray-something".
>
> I heard people making this same mistake in presentations at this
> past weekend's Postgres Anniversary Conference :-(  Arguably,
> the 1996 decision to call it PostgreSQL instead of reverting to
> plain Postgres was the single worst mistake this project ever made.
> It seems far too late to change now, though.

Since alot of ppl tend to be using Postgres, I kinda see PostgreSQL as the
'formal, written word' while Postgres is the 'informal, spoken word' ...

----

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] The name of the game

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thursday 13 July 2006 12:52, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Well there are a lot of reasons back and forth. The only thing changing
> the name to postgres does is simplify the name. Here are the problems
> with PostgreSQL:
>
> Cons for PostgreSQL:
> (Yes I am aware of the Trademark, but it is invalid at this point)
>
> 1. Long domain name

It is only 2 more letters... this is a red herring

> 2. PostgreSQL, Inc. and the perception that "they" are postgresql
> (although that is very minute these days.) I do still run into it.
> 3. Difficult to say
> 4. PostgreSQL.Org is registered to Hub not the development group
> 5. Changing the name will likely alienate a long time member and
> co0-founder
>
> Pros for PostgreSQL:
>
> 1. The press knows us as that
> 2. Everyone complains about the name, but everyone knows it
> 3. It has been that way for 10 years
> 4. Everyone calls it postgres anyway, so who cares?

There are a lot of items like graphics/documentation/code that we have aquired
over the years that all refer to PostgreSQL. These would all need to be
modified.

> Problems with Postgres:
>
> 1. Postgresintl.com (Dave Cramer)
> 2. Postgresinc.com (CMD)
> 3. PervasivePostgres.com (Pervasive)

There would be added confusion, as many software packages would now have to
say "works with postgres and postgresql"

> Pros for Postgres:
>
> 1. Short domain name

2 fewer charactors?  again... not valid.

> 2. Goes back to our roots (kind of)
> 3. Easier to say
> 4. Domain name is registered to the development group

Not exactly.  The .org domain is registered, but .net and maybe .us or .info
are registered to complete 3rd parties, who aiui are not exactly willing to
transfer those domain names to the project.

--
Robert Treat

Date:
On Thursday 13 July 2006 14:22, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
> > On Thursday 13 July 2006 12:52, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >> Well there are a lot of reasons back and forth. The only thing changing
> >> the name to postgres does is simplify the name. Here are the problems
> >> with PostgreSQL:
> >>
> >> Cons for PostgreSQL:
> >> (Yes I am aware of the Trademark, but it is invalid at this point)
> >>
> >> 1. Long domain name
> >
> > It is only 2 more letters... this is a red herring
>
> Oh.. very valid from a communication point of view.
>
> Customer (on phone): What what site should I visit?
> ME: WWW.postgresql.org
> Customer: What?
> Me: www.postgres --- ql.org
> Customer: Why the ql?
>
> And yes this does happen. The name by nature of how it is spelled is
> difficult to say without confusing someone. Thus the domain name being
> longer is relevant.

let's see...  c-o-m-m-a-n-d-p-r-o-m-p-t... thats what... 13 letters?  :-)

the length of the world <> the difficulty in pronouncing the word. You've
listed it being difficult to say in #3 (and you'll note I didn't argue with
you), so I don't see that as valid justification for #1.

--
Robert Treat

Date:

A quick fix could be PostgresQL :-)

Date:
--- Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@yahoo.com> wrote:

> A quick fix could be PostgresQL :-)

wow, i never knew there was so much name tension built
up.  ;-)

i could see how it would be a pain to explain it over
the phone, though.

"like 'postgres" with a 'ql' on the end.  get it?  it
ends in SQL."

i wonder if someone would pick up on it if explained
like above.

i do remember jacking the name up but good when i firt
started, but it didn't take long to get it straight
and then it was a non issue.  i guess i'm one of the
few folks who natively thinks of it as postresql - i
rarely use postgres.  if ever.  i'll use pgsql before postgres.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Date:
> "like 'postgres" with a 'ql' on the end.  get it?  it
> ends in SQL."
>
> i wonder if someone would pick up on it if explained
> like above.

Yes.  In my case, I learned of PostgreSQL after learning of its long distant realitive - Ingres.
Where Ingres' base name with used to to produce <In|Post>gres.  And then came Postgres95.  And
then came PostgreSQL.

I suppose that if one understands the history that led to "PostgreSQL" then it becomes reasonable
to pronounce it as Post-gres-QL.

http://www.postgresql.org/about/history

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: The name of the game (was Re: postgre linkage with

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:
Hi,

On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 14:10 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Since alot of ppl tend to be using Postgres, I kinda see PostgreSQL as
> the 'formal, written word' while Postgres is the 'informal, spoken
> word' ...

That's exactly what I also think about this subject. Personally I don't
find this practical to change the name after 10 years or so.

As Tom wrote, many of the people at the conference mispronounced
PostgreSQL (SQL as the SQL Server of M$). Recalling the reason for
replacing "95" instead of "SQL", the reason did not change (SQL
compilance) and if we drop it again,people might say "Oh, did you drop
SQL compilance?"

And another thing: "I think" we have much work to do instead of
suggesting name changes and spending our valuable times on this...

0.02 cents.

Date:
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Robert Treat wrote:
>> On Thursday 13 July 2006 12:52, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> Well there are a lot of reasons back and forth. The only thing changing
>>> the name to postgres does is simplify the name. Here are the problems
>>> with PostgreSQL:
>>>
>>> Cons for PostgreSQL:
>>> (Yes I am aware of the Trademark, but it is invalid at this point)
>>>
>>> 1. Long domain name
>>
>> It is only 2 more letters... this is a red herring
>
> Oh.. very valid from a communication point of view.
>
> Customer (on phone): What what site should I visit?
> ME: WWW.postgresql.org
> Customer: What?
> Me: www.postgres --- ql.org
> Customer: Why the ql?
>
> And yes this does happen. The name by nature of how it is spelled is
> difficult to say without confusing someone. Thus the domain name being longer
> is relevant.

Just as an aside ... http://www.postgres.org will work, and gets them to
the proper site too ... where we've been able to, we've made sure that
both could be used ...

----

Date:
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> And yes this does happen. The name by nature of how it is spelled is
>>> difficult to say without confusing someone. Thus the domain name being
>>> longer is relevant.
>>>

>> let's see...  c-o-m-m-a-n-d-p-r-o-m-p-t... thats what... 13 letters?  :-)
>
> Are you making my argument to switch to postgresinc.com for me?
>
> Believe me, our name causing an undue amount of grief for us as well :).
> Guess how many times I get to say:
>
> My email address is jd@commandprompt.com, you know like a command prompt on
> your computer?

I think your domainname is cool myself ... *shrug*  How much more
"computerese" can you get? :)

----

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] The name of the game

Date:
Richard Broersma Jr wrote:

> A quick fix could be PostgresQL :-)

I was actually thinking Postgres-QL.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us

Date:
> > A quick fix could be PostgresQL :-)
>
> I was actually thinking Postgres-QL.

Even better.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] The name of the game

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> I was actually thinking Postgres-QL.

How about Postgrezzque'el ?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] The name of the game

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On Jul 17, 2006, at 8:39 PM, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>>> I was actually thinking Postgres-QL.
>> How about Postgrezzque'el ?
>
> We gotta be cooler, more hip hop:
>
> Postshizzle

That almost made the disaster that has become my trip back to Austin
from OSCon worthwhile. :)