Re: [pgsql-advocacy] The name of the game - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Richard Broersma Jr
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] The name of the game
Date
List pgsql-novice
> "like 'postgres" with a 'ql' on the end.  get it?  it
> ends in SQL."
>
> i wonder if someone would pick up on it if explained
> like above.

Yes.  In my case, I learned of PostgreSQL after learning of its long distant realitive - Ingres.
Where Ingres' base name with used to to produce <In|Post>gres.  And then came Postgres95.  And
then came PostgreSQL.

I suppose that if one understands the history that led to "PostgreSQL" then it becomes reasonable
to pronounce it as Post-gres-QL.

http://www.postgresql.org/about/history

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.