The name of the game (was Re: postgre linkage with non-postgre db) - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject The name of the game (was Re: postgre linkage with non-postgre db)
Date
Re: The name of the game  ("Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com>)
Re: The name of the game (was Re: postgre linkage with  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-novice
Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 07:39:05PM +0300, Petronenko D.S. wrote:
>> Can i get data in postgre from non-postgre db?

> The name is PostgreSQL or Postgres, not postgre.

It might help to explain that the pronunciation is "post-gres" or
"post-gres-cue-ell", not "post-gray-something".

I heard people making this same mistake in presentations at this
past weekend's Postgres Anniversary Conference :-(  Arguably,
the 1996 decision to call it PostgreSQL instead of reverting to
plain Postgres was the single worst mistake this project ever made.
It seems far too late to change now, though.

            regards, tom lane