Pgaccess doesn't connect

From
Vittorio Zuccala'
Date:

Re: Pgaccess doesn't connect

From
brew@theMode.com
Date:
Vittorio......

> If i manage my postgres database as postgres user with "psql" command
> all works fine.
>
> Problems arrive if i do not log as postgres user but as my usual user
> (nathanvi).

The postgres user acts like the root user for the postgreSQL server, you
only use it for admin things.  I think you need to log into the postgers
user account and CREATE USER (maybe it's create user) for nathanvi.  Also
I think then you'll have to make entries in pg_hba.conf to set where that
user can access the db from (on the local machine, over tcp-ip, etc.).  I
think pgadmin requires tcp-ip access.

> In the same way if i try to connect to database with a PERL script with
> Pg module that i've attached as "prova_db_connessione2.pl" and i try to
> add a record, it responds: Variabile result:
> PG_results=SCALAR(0x804c130)

Not sure but I think maybe pg_results wants to return a hash and there is
a scalar (that is, a single variable) there to be returned instead. If the
perl script is running as user nathanvi then you've created that user OK,
maybe you just need to make the right entry in pg_hba.conf to allow tcp-ip
connections from that user.

Anyway, this is all detailed in the docs better than I can write it for
you.

brew

Re: Pgaccess doesn't connect

From
Vittorio Zuccala'
Date:

Re: Pgaccess doesn't connect

From
brew@theMode.com
Date:
> I create nathanvi user but i can't find pg_hba.conf
> Where is it?
> In my /etc directory there is a "pgsql" subdirectory in which there's only
> a file named odbcinst.ini. Its rows are:

> Do you know others names of pg_hba.conf?

I'm running Debian linux...... there are two pg_hba.conf files.....

/etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf
/var/lib/postgres/data/pg_hba.conf

I'm not sure which one is the working conf file.

Sorry I can't help more, maybe some one running your linux can better
point out it's location... which one are you running again?

brew

                  Strange Brew   (brew@theMode.com)
     Check out my Musician's Online Database Exchange (The MODE Pages)
                        http://www.TheMode.com

Re: Pgaccess doesn't connect

From
Date:
On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 brew@theMode.com wrote:

> > I create nathanvi user but i can't find pg_hba.conf
> > Where is it?
> > In my /etc directory there is a "pgsql" subdirectory in which there's only
> > a file named odbcinst.ini. Its rows are:
>
> > Do you know others names of pg_hba.conf?
>
> I'm running Debian linux...... there are two pg_hba.conf files.....
>
> /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf
> /var/lib/postgres/data/pg_hba.conf

The /var/... file is a symbollic link to the one under /etc.

Gord
--
Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President

Re: Pgaccess doesn't connect

From
Vittorio Zuccala'