Re: Pgaccess doesn't connect - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From brew@theMode.com
Subject Re: Pgaccess doesn't connect
Date
List pgsql-novice
Vittorio......

> If i manage my postgres database as postgres user with "psql" command
> all works fine.
>
> Problems arrive if i do not log as postgres user but as my usual user
> (nathanvi).

The postgres user acts like the root user for the postgreSQL server, you
only use it for admin things.  I think you need to log into the postgers
user account and CREATE USER (maybe it's create user) for nathanvi.  Also
I think then you'll have to make entries in pg_hba.conf to set where that
user can access the db from (on the local machine, over tcp-ip, etc.).  I
think pgadmin requires tcp-ip access.

> In the same way if i try to connect to database with a PERL script with
> Pg module that i've attached as "prova_db_connessione2.pl" and i try to
> add a record, it responds: Variabile result:
> PG_results=SCALAR(0x804c130)

Not sure but I think maybe pg_results wants to return a hash and there is
a scalar (that is, a single variable) there to be returned instead. If the
perl script is running as user nathanvi then you've created that user OK,
maybe you just need to make the right entry in pg_hba.conf to allow tcp-ip
connections from that user.

Anyway, this is all detailed in the docs better than I can write it for
you.

brew