Re: Stored procedure - change columns in a table that is - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From bryan@flyingiranch.com
Subject Re: Stored procedure - change columns in a table that is
Date
List pgsql-novice
Thanks all for your help - I was able to create a view using CASE
statements that works perfectly.

Bryan

ional.html

Also, if your needs go beyond what seems reasonable to wedge into a
CASE, you could define a view that uses a function.  For example,

CREATE FUNCTION calc_bmi(basetable) returns float8 as
'compute appropriate value from fields of $1' ...;

CREATE VIEW derivedtable AS
SELECT *, calc_bmi(basetable) FROM basetable;

Passing in the whole row isolates the view definition from needing to
know exactly which fields go into the BMI calculation.  See
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/xfunc-sql.ht
ml#AEN31256
for discussion of this.  As of recent versions you can also say

SELECT *, calc_bmi(basetable.*) FROM basetable;

which might or might not seem clearer to you...