timezone incompatibility

From
"Winter, Wolfgang"
Date:
Hi,

I'm testing our auto-configuration persistence framework (acp) against
several databases and now that it comes to PostgreSQL, I run into a timezone
incompatibility compared to other jdbc-drivers/databases. The framework
tests the database specific datatypes by inserting a value, retrieving it
and comparing the result. Here is the result for timestamp:

 Insert and Retrieve of SQLType 93 test value <Sun Jun 20 20:16:54 CEST
1756> failed. Retrieved after insert: <Sun Jun 20 18:16:54 CEST 1756>

I tried it with a test value in 1992 and the test passes.
Okay, the docs say:
"PostgreSQL uses your operating system's underlying features to provide
output time-zone support, and these systems usually contain information for
only the time period 1902 through 2038 (corresponding to the full range of
conventional Unix system time)."

But nevertheless, I feel sick with this behaviour, to me it seems not to be
correct and it makes PostgreSQL incompatible to other databases. The
databases I have tested so far retrieve the correct date  before 1902.

regards
Wolfgang

Dr. Wolfgang Winter
LogiTags Systems
http://www.logitags.com

Re: timezone incompatibility

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
Wolfgang,

This isn't a jdbc issue, I would try the hackers list, or the general
list.

Out of curiosity are you using RedHat? They broke time. You can try
complaining to them if this is the case.

Dave
On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 02:46, Winter, Wolfgang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm testing our auto-configuration persistence framework (acp) against
> several databases and now that it comes to PostgreSQL, I run into a timezone
> incompatibility compared to other jdbc-drivers/databases. The framework
> tests the database specific datatypes by inserting a value, retrieving it
> and comparing the result. Here is the result for timestamp:
>
>  Insert and Retrieve of SQLType 93 test value <Sun Jun 20 20:16:54 CEST
> 1756> failed. Retrieved after insert: <Sun Jun 20 18:16:54 CEST 1756>
>
> I tried it with a test value in 1992 and the test passes.
> Okay, the docs say:
> "PostgreSQL uses your operating system's underlying features to provide
> output time-zone support, and these systems usually contain information for
> only the time period 1902 through 2038 (corresponding to the full range of
> conventional Unix system time)."
>
> But nevertheless, I feel sick with this behaviour, to me it seems not to be
> correct and it makes PostgreSQL incompatible to other databases. The
> databases I have tested so far retrieve the correct date  before 1902.
>

> regards
> Wolfgang
>

> Dr. Wolfgang Winter
> LogiTags Systems
> http://www.logitags.com

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: timezone incompatibility

From
"Winter, Wolfgang"
Date:
Hi Dave,

in my opinion it is a jdbc feature (maybe not a bug), as it is the driver
that subtracts the two hours from the test date and writes the changed date
into the database. Performing a SELECT on this date doesn't re-add the 2
hours, so I see a wrong date.

Other jdbc drivers like for oracle, mysql, sapdb ... write the date as is
into the database.

Operating system is Suse 7.0.

thanks for answering
Wolfgang

Gesendet am: Freitag, 21. Juni 2002 11:14
This isn't a jdbc issue, I would try the hackers list, or the general
list.

Out of curiosity are you using RedHat? They broke time. You can try
complaining to them if this is the case.

Dave
On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 02:46, Winter, Wolfgang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm testing our auto-configuration persistence framework (acp) against
> several databases and now that it comes to PostgreSQL, I run into a
timezone
> incompatibility compared to other jdbc-drivers/databases. The framework
> tests the database specific datatypes by inserting a value, retrieving it
> and comparing the result. Here is the result for timestamp:
>
>  Insert and Retrieve of SQLType 93 test value <Sun Jun 20 20:16:54 CEST
> 1756> failed. Retrieved after insert: <Sun Jun 20 18:16:54 CEST 1756>
>
> I tried it with a test value in 1992 and the test passes.
> Okay, the docs say:
> "PostgreSQL uses your operating system's underlying features to provide
> output time-zone support, and these systems usually contain information
for
> only the time period 1902 through 2038 (corresponding to the full range of
> conventional Unix system time)."
>
> But nevertheless, I feel sick with this behaviour, to me it seems not to
be
> correct and it makes PostgreSQL incompatible to other databases. The
> databases I have tested so far retrieve the correct date  before 1902.
>

> regards
> Wolfgang
>

> Dr. Wolfgang Winter
> LogiTags Systems
> http://www.logitags.com

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: timezone incompatibility

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
Hi Wolfgang,

this sounds more like a bug than a feature.

Dave
On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 06:05, Winter, Wolfgang wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> in my opinion it is a jdbc feature (maybe not a bug), as it is the driver
> that subtracts the two hours from the test date and writes the changed date
> into the database. Performing a SELECT on this date doesn't re-add the 2
> hours, so I see a wrong date.
>
> Other jdbc drivers like for oracle, mysql, sapdb ... write the date as is
> into the database.
>
> Operating system is Suse 7.0.
>

> thanks for answering
> Wolfgang

timezone incompatibility

From
Barry Lind
Date:
This isn't a jdbc issue so I am forwarding to general.

--Barry

Winter, Wolfgang wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm testing our auto-configuration persistence framework (acp) against
>several databases and now that it comes to PostgreSQL, I run into a timezone
>incompatibility compared to other jdbc-drivers/databases. The framework
>tests the database specific datatypes by inserting a value, retrieving it
>and comparing the result. Here is the result for timestamp:
>
> Insert and Retrieve of SQLType 93 test value <Sun Jun 20 20:16:54 CEST
>1756> failed. Retrieved after insert: <Sun Jun 20 18:16:54 CEST 1756>
>
>I tried it with a test value in 1992 and the test passes.
>Okay, the docs say:
>"PostgreSQL uses your operating system's underlying features to provide
>output time-zone support, and these systems usually contain information for
>only the time period 1902 through 2038 (corresponding to the full range of
>conventional Unix system time)."
>
>But nevertheless, I feel sick with this behaviour, to me it seems not to be
>correct and it makes PostgreSQL incompatible to other databases. The
>databases I have tested so far retrieve the correct date  before 1902.
>

>regards
>Wolfgang
>

>Dr. Wolfgang Winter
>LogiTags Systems
>http://www.logitags.com

>TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: [GENERAL] timezone incompatibility

From
Barry Lind
Date:
OK, I found the bug in the jdbc code.  It was treating a date coming
from the server without timezone information as being in the local
timezone instead of being in GMT.  I will fix this over the weekend.

thanks,
--Barry

Thomas Lockhart wrote:

>>This isn't a jdbc issue so I am forwarding to general.
>>

>Hmm. Why is it not a jdbc issue? There is a documented, consistant, and
>altogether reasonable behavior from the database (imho of course ;). If
>there is a Java spec that somehow time zones must be respected for
>decades and centuries when there was no such concept even defined, then
>it would seem to fall on jdbc to implement that idea.
>
>The symptom is that a time from 1756 is entered with an explicit time
>zone. PostgreSQL accepts that. On query, the time is returned in GMT,
>without any claim for a time zone at all:
>
>lockhart=# select timestamp with time zone
>lockhart-# 'Sun Jun 20 20:16:54 CEST 1756';
>     timestamptz
>---------------------
> 1756-06-20 18:16:54
>
>So although the date is not returned with an explicit "GMT" for the time
>zone, it is not claiming to be CEST either.
>
>What different behavior would we need to get JDBC to infer the expected
>result? It may be we need to change *both* JDBC and PostgreSQL, but
>certainly changing just PostgreSQL won't fix the problem (at least
>without introducing troubles for others).
>
>                  - Thomas
>

>>>I'm testing our auto-configuration persistence framework (acp) against
>>>several databases and now that it comes to PostgreSQL, I run into a timezone
>>>incompatibility compared to other jdbc-drivers/databases. The framework
>>>tests the database specific datatypes by inserting a value, retrieving it
>>>and comparing the result. Here is the result for timestamp:
>>>
>>>Insert and Retrieve of SQLType 93 test value <Sun Jun 20 20:16:54 CEST
>>>1756> failed. Retrieved after insert: <Sun Jun 20 18:16:54 CEST 1756>
>>>
>>>I tried it with a test value in 1992 and the test passes.
>>>Okay, the docs say:
>>>"PostgreSQL uses your operating system's underlying features to provide
>>>output time-zone support, and these systems usually contain information for
>>>only the time period 1902 through 2038 (corresponding to the full range of
>>>conventional Unix system time)."
>>>
>>>But nevertheless, I feel sick with this behaviour, to me it seems not to be
>>>correct and it makes PostgreSQL incompatible to other databases. The
>>>databases I have tested so far retrieve the correct date  before 1902.
>>>

>>>regards
>>>Wolfgang
>>>

>>>Dr. Wolfgang Winter
>>>LogiTags Systems
>>>http://www.logitags.com
>>>
>>>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>>>TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

>http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html

Re: timezone incompatibility

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:

Date:
Barry Lind wrote:

> OK, I found the bug in the jdbc code.  It was treating a date coming
> from the server without timezone information as being in the local
> timezone instead of being in GMT.  I will fix this over the weekend.

For "timestamptz" aka TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE if it doesn't have a time
zone then it is GMT. If it is "timestamp" aka TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIME
ZONE then they all are in the local time zone.

Does the JDBC driver let you distinguish between all of the cases?

                    - Thomas