Re: timezone incompatibility - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: timezone incompatibility
Date
List pgsql-general
> This isn't a jdbc issue so I am forwarding to general.

Hmm. Why is it not a jdbc issue? There is a documented, consistant, and
altogether reasonable behavior from the database (imho of course ;). If
there is a Java spec that somehow time zones must be respected for
decades and centuries when there was no such concept even defined, then
it would seem to fall on jdbc to implement that idea.

The symptom is that a time from 1756 is entered with an explicit time
zone. PostgreSQL accepts that. On query, the time is returned in GMT,
without any claim for a time zone at all:

lockhart=# select timestamp with time zone
lockhart-# 'Sun Jun 20 20:16:54 CEST 1756';
     timestamptz
 1756-06-20 18:16:54

So although the date is not returned with an explicit "GMT" for the time
zone, it is not claiming to be CEST either.

What different behavior would we need to get JDBC to infer the expected
result? It may be we need to change *both* JDBC and PostgreSQL, but
certainly changing just PostgreSQL won't fix the problem (at least
without introducing troubles for others).

                  - Thomas