j2ee compatiable jdbc driver on jdbc.postgresql.org?

From
Ned Wolpert
Date:

Re: j2ee compatiable jdbc driver on jdbc.postgresql.org?

From
Barry Lind
Date:
Ned,

There really isn't a j2ee driver for postgres.  If you build the j2ee
driver it is essentially the same as the j2se driver.  So I don't see
any reason to confuse people by letting them think there really is a
difference by having two different java2 drivers to choose from on the
web site.

The only difference is some code that I consider questionable, and I
don't think even works.

thanks,
--Barry

Date:

>> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>>     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

Virtually,
Ned Wolpert <ned.wolpert@knowledgenet.com>

D08C2F45:  28E7 56CB 58AC C622 5A51  3C42 8B2B 2739 D08C 2F45

Re: j2ee compatiable jdbc driver on jdbc.postgresql.org?

From
Ned Wolpert
Date:

Ok, I understand.

So, why are people talking about support for JDBC3 where JDBC2 support isn't
even there?

Date:

Date:

Re: j2ee compatiable jdbc driver on jdbc.postgresql.org?

From
Barry Lind
Date:
Ned,

This is a community of volunteers.  So if someone wants to work on JDBC3
that is fine.  We don't have the option of telling people how they
should spend their time.

But I agree that jdbc2 still has a bunch of stuff that could be done.
Although much if what remains undone isn't required by the spec.

thanks,
--Barry

Ned Wolpert wrote:

> Ok, I understand.
>
> So, why are people talking about support for JDBC3 where JDBC2 support isn't
> even there?
>
> On 26-Oct-2001 Barry Lind wrote:
>
>>Ned,
>>
>>It may or may not work.  That file hasn't been changed in a long time,
>>so I doubt anyone is using it and therefore it may no longer work.
>>
>>I don't want to give people the false impression that the javax.sql set
>>of extensions to JDBC2 is supported by the jdbc driver by providing a
>>jdbc7.2-1.2ee.jar file when we only implement 1 interface out of the 13
>>defined in that package.
>>
>>thanks,
>>--Barry
>>

>>Ned Wolpert wrote:

>>>Humm... are you saying that the class PostgresqlDataSource doesn't work?  I
>>>guess I'm not sure what doesn't work with the driver.  (Course, I've been
>>>using
>>>PoolMan as the datasource to wrap the postgresql default connection rather
>>>than
>>>using the datasource object, so I haven't been testing this myself, yet.)

>>>Virtually,
>>>Ned Wolpert <ned.wolpert@knowledgenet.com>
>>>
>>>D08C2F45:  28E7 56CB 58AC C622 5A51  3C42 8B2B 2739 D08C 2F45
>>>

> Virtually,
> Ned Wolpert <ned.wolpert@knowledgenet.com>
>
> D08C2F45:  28E7 56CB 58AC C622 5A51  3C42 8B2B 2739 D08C 2F45

Re: j2ee compatiable jdbc driver on jdbc.postgresql.org?

From
Gunnar Rønning
Date:
* Ned Wolpert <ned.wolpert@knowledgenet.com> wrote:

| Humm... are you saying that the class PostgresqlDataSource doesn't work?  I
| guess I'm not sure what doesn't work with the driver.  (Course, I've been using
| PoolMan as the datasource to wrap the postgresql default connection rather than
| using the datasource object, so I haven't been testing this myself, yet.)

I think the datasource class is required to use pgsql with Castor. If I
remember correctly I think it was contributed by the main author of Castor.

I haven't used it myself for ages though...

cheers,

        Gunnar
--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar@polygnosis.com
Senior Consultant, Polygnosis AS, http://www.polygnosis.com/

Date:

Date:

Date:
* Ned Wolpert <ned.wolpert@knowledgenet.com> wrote:

| On 27-Oct-2001 Gunnar Rønning wrote:
| > I think the datasource class is required to use pgsql with Castor. If I
| > remember correctly I think it was contributed by the main author of Castor.
|
| I don't think that's right.  I've used the straight driver before without
| problem.  Course, now I'm wrapping it with PoolMan, which does provide a
| datasource class, so I can't be 100% on that one.

Well, it used to be right(I evaluated castor 1.5 years ago). The main author
of Castor definitely had a patched version of pgsql version that were pending
inclusion at the time.

--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar@polygnosis.com
Senior Consultant, Polygnosis AS, http://www.polygnosis.com/

Re: j2ee compatiable jdbc driver on jdbc.postgresql.org?

From
Cathal de Brun
Date:
Hi,

I've been having some problems migrating some code that accesses
postgress to J2EE and while looking sor solutions to some of the
problems I encountered I came across  the  'j2ee compatiable jdbc
driver' thread (some of which I have included below). I was wondering if
it is possible to access postgres from within j2ee and if so where could
I find pointers in this direction.

Thank you for taking the time to read this !

Kind regards,

Cathal.