pgperl vs dbd-perl

From
David
Date:
I'm wondering which of the two is considered the best.  I have both
installed on my system and actually have done some work with PgPerl
because it looked a bit less complicated, and at first, I thought that
this might be a more postgres-specific interface.

However, in researching the mailing lists, etc, it seems that DBD:: is
getting the most attention - in fact, I see little mention of PgPerl,
and the PgPerl list seems rather quiet.

In addition, it appears that DBD can do things that PgPerl can't.  For
example, I haven't been able to find an escape-string function in
PgPerl, which I'm now looking to implement.  Would one need to write his
own escape-string for PgPerl?

Is PgPerl still viable or is DBD the way to go?

Re: pgperl vs dbd-perl

From
Sean Davis
Date:
On 8/9/05 10:45 AM, "David" <dbree@duo-county.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering which of the two is considered the best.  I have both
> installed on my system and actually have done some work with PgPerl
> because it looked a bit less complicated, and at first, I thought that
> this might be a more postgres-specific interface.
>
> However, in researching the mailing lists, etc, it seems that DBD:: is
> getting the most attention - in fact, I see little mention of PgPerl,
> and the PgPerl list seems rather quiet.
>
> In addition, it appears that DBD can do things that PgPerl can't.  For
> example, I haven't been able to find an escape-string function in
> PgPerl, which I'm now looking to implement.  Would one need to write his
> own escape-string for PgPerl?
>
> Is PgPerl still viable or is DBD the way to go?

DBD::Pg is the way to go, for numerous reasons.  DBI is very well supported.
More importantly, almost all database-related work is done by building on
DBI.  Interfacing your own code with those of others is then relatively
straightforward.  See, for some examples, DBIx::RecordSet or Class::DBI.
Finally, if you every need to port to another database product (GASP!), DBI
is fairly easy to adapt (depending on DB-specific SQL).

Sean

Re: pgperl vs dbd-perl

From
David
Date:
On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 10:57:41AM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:
> On 8/9/05 10:45 AM, "David" <dbree@duo-county.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering which of the two is considered the best.
> > However, in researching the mailing lists, etc, it seems that DBD:: is
> > getting the most attention - in fact, I see little mention of PgPerl,
> > and the PgPerl list seems rather quiet.

> > Is PgPerl still viable or is DBD the way to go?
>
> DBD::Pg is the way to go, for numerous reasons.  DBI is very well supported.
> More importantly, almost all database-related work is done by building on
> DBI.  Interfacing your own code with those of others is then relatively
> straightforward.  See, for some examples, DBIx::RecordSet or Class::DBI.
> Finally, if you every need to port to another database product (GASP!), DBI
> is fairly easy to adapt (depending on DB-specific SQL).

Well, so far (and quite quickly) I've received two replies and both are
in agreement that DBD is the way to go.  and Dirk Jagdmann flatly stated
that PgPerl is outdated.

This was much as I'd suspected so I think I'll move over.

Thanks to both of you for the insight.

Re: pgperl vs dbd-perl

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

>>Is PgPerl still viable or is DBD the way to go?
>

> DBD::Pg is the way to go, for numerous reasons.  DBI is very well supported.
> More importantly, almost all database-related work is done by building on
> DBI.  Interfacing your own code with those of others is then relatively
> straightforward.  See, for some examples, DBIx::RecordSet or Class::DBI.
> Finally, if you every need to port to another database product (GASP!), DBI
> is fairly easy to adapt (depending on DB-specific SQL).

DBI/DBD is also what Perl considers standard.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Sean

Re: pgperl vs dbd-perl

From
David
Date:
On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 08:28:13PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >>Is PgPerl still viable or is DBD the way to go?

> >DBD::Pg is the way to go, for numerous reasons.  DBI is very well
> >supported.

> DBI/DBD is also what Perl considers standard.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Well, it's still unanimous, and coming from people who have my respect.

Spent yesterday reading the DBD::Pg mailing list.  Now plan on studying
the manpages for DBD and for DBI.  It shouldn't be much of a chore
rewriting what little I've done so far into DBI code.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.  Maybe I've already said it, but I
thought I was seeing just what all of you have said, but just wasn't
sure.