Oracle Porting, Compiere

From
John Huttley
Date:
For those interested in porting from Oracle to PG, refer

http://www.compiere.org/technology/pg/index.html

Compiere is an Open Source accounting system designed around Oracle.
It uses Oracle features extensively. The desire to port this to
PG shows some of the present limitations in PG.

I seem to recall that someone has a patch for hierarchal Queries.

For your interest,

john

Re: Oracle Porting, Compiere

Date:
Yes, we do.  It is in my mailbox and we are hoping someone will make it
standards-compliant via SQL99 recursive queries.

John Huttley wrote:
> For those interested in porting from Oracle to PG, refer
>
> http://www.compiere.org/technology/pg/index.html
>
> Compiere is an Open Source accounting system designed around Oracle.
> It uses Oracle features extensively. The desire to port this to
> PG shows some of the present limitations in PG.
>
> I seem to recall that someone has a patch for hierarchal Queries.
>
> For your interest,
>
> john

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Oracle Porting, Compiere

Date:
> Yes, we do.  It is in my mailbox and we are hoping someone will make it
> standards-compliant via SQL99 recursive queries.

Andrew Overholt of Red Hat is in fact looking at SQL99 recursive
queries.  I will not promise that he'll have it done in time for 7.4,
but something should emerge by and by.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Oracle Porting, Compiere

Date:
John Huttley <john@mwk.co.nz> writes:
> For those interested in porting from Oracle to PG, refer
> http://www.compiere.org/technology/pg/index.html

I can't see any indication of the date this was written --- but I get
the feeling it dates back a bit.  At least some of the issues mentioned
have been solved in recent PG releases.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Oracle Porting, Compiere

From
John Huttley
Date:
This isn't more that a month or two old.
The previous version worried about nested transactions.
I know Bruce has been thinking about that for a while now, so possibly
that was crossed off as 'fixed'. The 7.4 Docs cover the unlimited
precision "NUMERIC" type, so perhaps that also should be crossed off.

The use of 'out' parameters sounds hairy though.

Regards

john

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 15:48, Tom Lane wrote:
> John Huttley <john@mwk.co.nz> writes:
> > For those interested in porting from Oracle to PG, refer
> > http://www.compiere.org/technology/pg/index.html
>
> I can't see any indication of the date this was written --- but I get
> the feeling it dates back a bit.  At least some of the issues mentioned
> have been solved in recent PG releases.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: Oracle Porting, Compiere

Date:
John Huttley <john@mwk.co.nz> writes:
> This isn't more that a month or two old.

Okay, it wasn't real clear...

> The previous version worried about nested transactions.

It still should.  I see no prospect that nested xacts will be in 7.4,
and I wouldn't care to bet they'll be in the release or two after ...

On a more positive note:

* NUMERIC does indeed do the unspecified-precision thing.

* If you can't be bothered to rename datatypes, CREATE DOMAIN would serve to provide Oracle-compatible names for
Postgresdatatypes. There is some parse-time overhead associated though.

* CREATE OR REPLACE does exist for some object types now --- views and functions for sure, don't recall anything else.

* Postgres *does* do sub-SELECT-in-FROM, which is what I think is meant by the references to embedded views.

* On the outer join syntax issue: PG supports the SQL-standard syntax, which I believe is also supported by recent
Oraclereleases.  Consider migrating away from Oracle's proprietary syntax.

        regards, tom lane

Re: Oracle Porting, Compiere

Tom Lane wrote:
> John Huttley <john@mwk.co.nz> writes:
> > This isn't more that a month or two old.
>
> Okay, it wasn't real clear...
>
> > The previous version worried about nested transactions.
>
> It still should.  I see no prospect that nested xacts will be in 7.4,
> and I wouldn't care to bet they'll be in the release or two after ...

Actually, Alvaro Herrera is working on it as a college project.  I don't
know the completion date, but I am sure it will be in 7.5, if not in
7.4.  I am CC'ing him for a comment.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Oracle Porting, Compiere

From
Manfred Koizar
Date:
On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 15:25:52 -0400, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl> wrote:
> pg_clog and
>pg_subtrans stuff.  Manfred Koizar said he wanted to work on that, but I
>dunno if he is.

Yes, he is.  Although there's some discussion whether my proposal is
the best way to do it ...

ServusManfred

Re: Oracle Porting, Compiere

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 12:33:52AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:

> > It still should.  I see no prospect that nested xacts will be in 7.4,
> > and I wouldn't care to bet they'll be in the release or two after ...
>
> Actually, Alvaro Herrera is working on it as a college project.  I don't
> know the completion date, but I am sure it will be in 7.5, if not in
> 7.4.  I am CC'ing him for a comment.

Yes, there's some progress in my private tree.  As soon as I can make it
bootstrap I'll post a patch for comment.  I expect to have it for 7.4,
althought I'm not sure if I will be able to do the pg_clog and
pg_subtrans stuff.  Manfred Koizar said he wanted to work on that, but I
dunno if he is.

I am CC'ing him for a comment :-)

"No hay ausente sin culpa ni presente sin disculpa" (Prov. frances)