Re: Oracle Porting, Compiere - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Oracle Porting, Compiere
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
John Huttley <john@mwk.co.nz> writes:
> This isn't more that a month or two old.

Okay, it wasn't real clear...

> The previous version worried about nested transactions.

It still should.  I see no prospect that nested xacts will be in 7.4,
and I wouldn't care to bet they'll be in the release or two after ...

On a more positive note:

* NUMERIC does indeed do the unspecified-precision thing.

* If you can't be bothered to rename datatypes, CREATE DOMAIN would serve to provide Oracle-compatible names for
Postgresdatatypes. There is some parse-time overhead associated though.

* CREATE OR REPLACE does exist for some object types now --- views and functions for sure, don't recall anything else.

* Postgres *does* do sub-SELECT-in-FROM, which is what I think is meant by the references to embedded views.

* On the outer join syntax issue: PG supports the SQL-standard syntax, which I believe is also supported by recent
Oraclereleases.  Consider migrating away from Oracle's proprietary syntax.

        regards, tom lane