Re: And Furthermore. Was: PSQL Working, but PGAccess Not Connecting.

From
"David Lloyd-Jones"
Date:
"David Lloyd-Jones" <david.lloyd-jones@netcom.ca> wrote:
> How can this be? Isn't this a contradiction of some sort?

Contradiction. so what else is new?

But while I'm at it, I wonder if anybody knows why directories are named
"rc.d" and "init.d"?

Init seems clear enough, and rc might be resource, I suppose. What's the .d,
or what happened to a, b, and c?
                                                       -dlj.

Re: Re: And Furthermore. Was: PSQL Working, but PGAccess Not Connecting.

From
"Oliver Elphick"
Date:
"David Lloyd-Jones" wrote: >But while I'm at it, I wonder if anybody knows why directories are named >"rc.d" and
"init.d"?> >Init seems clear enough, and rc might be resource, I suppose. What's the .d, >or what happened to a, b, and
c?
.d = "directory"

rc = "runlevel commands" ???

========================================   "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is      profitable for
doctrine,for reproof, for correction,      for instruction in righteousness;"
  II Timothy 3:16

Re: [OT] init.d [was: Re: And Furthermore. Was: PSQL Working, but PGAccess Not Connecting.]

From
tomas@mamma.varadinet.de
Date:
On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 10:09:10AM +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> "David Lloyd-Jones" wrote:
>   >But while I'm at it, I wonder if anybody knows why directories are named
>   >"rc.d" and "init.d"?
>   >
[...]

> .d = "directory"

In The Beginning (TM) it was just a huge shell script, /etc/rc. But
when it became fashionable to `install packages' it was a growing
pain to patch the corresponding start sequences into /etc/rc with
sed and friends.

Thus /etc/rc.d was born, as a sister to /etc/rc.

> rc = "runlevel commands" ???

Don't know either. But I think the concept of runlevel came later.

Regards
--
tomas

Re: Re: And Furthermore. Was: PSQL Working, but PGAccess Not Connecting.

From
Christopher Sawtell
Date:
On Wed, 02 Aug 2000, David Lloyd-Jones wrote:
> "David Lloyd-Jones" <david.lloyd-jones@netcom.ca> wrote:
> > How can this be? Isn't this a contradiction of some sort?
>
> Contradiction. so what else is new?

I get that situation too. There is something strangely amiss with the pg_ctrl
script. I just do not use it.

> But while I'm at it, I wonder if anybody knows why directories are named

> "rc.d" and "init.d"?

rc.d stands for Run Conditions Directory

> Init seems clear enough, and rc might be resource, I suppose. What's the .d,
Directory file.

> or what happened to a, b, and c?

They passed away while sleeping. Obits to be published real soon now.

--
Sincerely etc.,
NAME       Christopher SawtellCELL PHONE 021 257 4451ICQ UIN    45863470EMAIL      csawtell @ xtra . co . nzCNOTES

From: "Christopher Sawtell" <csawtell@xtra.co.nz>
> On Wed, 02 Aug 2000, David Lloyd-Jones wrote:
> > "David Lloyd-Jones" <david.lloyd-jones@netcom.ca> wrote:
> > > How can this be? Isn't this a contradiction of some sort?
> > Contradiction. so what else is new?
>
> I get that situation too. There is something strangely amiss with the
pg_ctrl
> script. I just do not use it.

Dunno about that: I was starting up with Lamar Owen's postgresql start|stop
script, so the pg_ctrl thing doesn't apply, does  it?

See Tom Lane's plausible explanation a couple of days ago in this thread.
                                                Cheers,
                                                       -dlj.

Re: Re: And Furthermore. Was: PSQL Working, but PGAccess Not Connecting.

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
David Lloyd-Jones wrote:

> From: "Christopher Sawtell" <csawtell@xtra.co.nz>
> > > Contradiction. so what else is new?

> > I get that situation too. There is something strangely amiss with the
> pg_ctrl
> > script. I just do not use it.
> Dunno about that: I was starting up with Lamar Owen's postgresql start|stop
> script, so the pg_ctrl thing doesn't apply, does  it?

Yes, it does for 7.0.2's script.  And it's pg_ctl, with no r.
> See Tom Lane's plausible explanation a couple of days ago in this thread.

First, try to ping localhost and see what happens.  If that doesn't
work, you have a basic network misconfiguration somewhere you're going
to have to trace down.

Next,`attempt to telnet to localhost -- if that doesn't work, you still
have a network problem.

Postmaster can't listen on a nonexistent network interface, even with
-i.

This may also explain AOLserver not listening on port 80 -- what does
AOLserver's error log say about where nssock is listening?

To check for Apache installation, use 'rpm -qa|grep apache'....
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio