Re: [OT] init.d [was: Re: And Furthermore. Was: PSQL Working, but PGAccess Not Connecting.] - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From tomas@mamma.varadinet.de
Subject Re: [OT] init.d [was: Re: And Furthermore. Was: PSQL Working, but PGAccess Not Connecting.]
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 10:09:10AM +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> "David Lloyd-Jones" wrote:
>   >But while I'm at it, I wonder if anybody knows why directories are named
>   >"rc.d" and "init.d"?
>   >
[...]

> .d = "directory"

In The Beginning (TM) it was just a huge shell script, /etc/rc. But
when it became fashionable to `install packages' it was a growing
pain to patch the corresponding start sequences into /etc/rc with
sed and friends.

Thus /etc/rc.d was born, as a sister to /etc/rc.

> rc = "runlevel commands" ???

Don't know either. But I think the concept of runlevel came later.

Regards
--
tomas