ATT_FOREIGN_TABLE and ATWrongRelkindError()

From
Amit Langote
Date:
Hi,

This may just be nitpicking but I noticed that ATWrongRelkindError() could
emit a better message in case of such errors during ALTER COLUMN DEFAULT
and  ALTER COLUMN SET STORAGE than "%s is of the wrong type" which is what
it would emit now. Just need to add a couple of cases to the switch there:

+ case ATT_TABLE | ATT_VIEW | ATT_FOREIGN_TABLE:
+     msg = _("\"%s\" is not a table, view or foreign table");
+     break;

+ case ATT_TABLE | ATT_MATVIEW | ATT_FOREIGN_TABLE:
+     msg = _("\"%s\" is not a table, materialized view, or foreign table");
+     break;

Attached adds those.

Thanks,
Amit

Attachment

Re: ATT_FOREIGN_TABLE and ATWrongRelkindError()

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 1:51 AM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> This may just be nitpicking but I noticed that ATWrongRelkindError() could
> emit a better message in case of such errors during ALTER COLUMN DEFAULT
> and  ALTER COLUMN SET STORAGE than "%s is of the wrong type" which is what
> it would emit now. Just need to add a couple of cases to the switch there:
>
> + case ATT_TABLE | ATT_VIEW | ATT_FOREIGN_TABLE:
> +     msg = _("\"%s\" is not a table, view or foreign table");
> +     break;
>
> + case ATT_TABLE | ATT_MATVIEW | ATT_FOREIGN_TABLE:
> +     msg = _("\"%s\" is not a table, materialized view, or foreign table");
> +     break;
>
> Attached adds those.

Good catch.  Committed and back-patched to 9.5.

(Yes, one of these problems goes back to 9.3, but it's a minor issue
so I didn't bother.  If someone really feels the urge, have at it.)

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
On 2015/10/23 6:06, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 1:51 AM, Amit Langote
> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> Attached adds those.
>
> Good catch.  Committed and back-patched to 9.5.
>
> (Yes, one of these problems goes back to 9.3, but it's a minor issue
> so I didn't bother.  If someone really feels the urge, have at it.)

Thanks, Robert!

Regards,
Amit

Re: ATT_FOREIGN_TABLE and ATWrongRelkindError()

From
Etsuro Fujita
Date:
On 2015/10/23 6:06, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 1:51 AM, Amit Langote
> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> This may just be nitpicking but I noticed that ATWrongRelkindError() could
>> emit a better message in case of such errors during ALTER COLUMN DEFAULT
>> and  ALTER COLUMN SET STORAGE than "%s is of the wrong type" which is what
>> it would emit now. Just need to add a couple of cases to the switch there:
>>
>> + case ATT_TABLE | ATT_VIEW | ATT_FOREIGN_TABLE:
>> +     msg = _("\"%s\" is not a table, view or foreign table");
>> +     break;
>>
>> + case ATT_TABLE | ATT_MATVIEW | ATT_FOREIGN_TABLE:
>> +     msg = _("\"%s\" is not a table, materialized view, or foreign table");
>> +     break;
>>
>> Attached adds those.

> Good catch.  Committed and back-patched to 9.5.

Thanks, Amit and Robert!

This is really really nitpicking, but I noticed that there is an
implicit rule concerning the message format in ATWrongRelkindError; if
more than two objects are present, the message is "\"%s\" is not a foo,
bar, or baz". ("or" is preceded by a comma!)  So, would it be better
that the former is "\"%s\" is not a table, view, or foreign table"?

BTW, I found an incorrect error message in ATWrongRelkindError.
Attached is a patch for fixing the message.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Date:
On 2015/10/23 18:51, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> On 2015/10/23 6:06, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Good catch.  Committed and back-patched to 9.5.
>
> Thanks, Amit and Robert!
>
> This is really really nitpicking, but I noticed that there is an implicit
> rule concerning the message format in ATWrongRelkindError; if more than
> two objects are present, the message is "\"%s\" is not a foo, bar, or
> baz". ("or" is preceded by a comma!)  So, would it be better that the
> former is "\"%s\" is not a table, view, or foreign table"?

Oops! Yeah, I missed the comma there. That seems like a generally
preferred punctuation rule (the comma before conjunction(s) I mean).

Thanks,
Amit

Date:
On 2015/10/23 19:02, Amit Langote wrote:
> On 2015/10/23 18:51, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
>>
>> This is really really nitpicking, but I noticed that there is an implicit
>> rule concerning the message format in ATWrongRelkindError; if more than
>> two objects are present, the message is "\"%s\" is not a foo, bar, or
>> baz". ("or" is preceded by a comma!)  So, would it be better that the
>> former is "\"%s\" is not a table, view, or foreign table"?
>
> Oops! Yeah, I missed the comma there. That seems like a generally
> preferred punctuation rule (the comma before conjunction(s) I mean).

Here is a patch rectifying that mistake.

Thanks,
Amit

Attachment

Re: ATT_FOREIGN_TABLE and ATWrongRelkindError()

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 11:51 AM, Etsuro Fujita
<fujita.etsuro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> BTW, I found an incorrect error message in ATWrongRelkindError. Attached is
> a patch for fixing the message.

Committed and back-patched to 9.3.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: ATT_FOREIGN_TABLE and ATWrongRelkindError()

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 3:12 AM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> On 2015/10/23 19:02, Amit Langote wrote:
>> On 2015/10/23 18:51, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
>>>
>>> This is really really nitpicking, but I noticed that there is an implicit
>>> rule concerning the message format in ATWrongRelkindError; if more than
>>> two objects are present, the message is "\"%s\" is not a foo, bar, or
>>> baz". ("or" is preceded by a comma!)  So, would it be better that the
>>> former is "\"%s\" is not a table, view, or foreign table"?
>>
>> Oops! Yeah, I missed the comma there. That seems like a generally
>> preferred punctuation rule (the comma before conjunction(s) I mean).
>
> Here is a patch rectifying that mistake.

Committed.

--

Date:
On 2015/10/28 20:10, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 11:51 AM, Etsuro Fujita
> <fujita.etsuro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> BTW, I found an incorrect error message in ATWrongRelkindError. Attached is
>> a patch for fixing the message.

> Committed and back-patched to 9.3.

Thanks!

Best regards,