Index only scans wiki page

From
Jeff Janes
Date:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Index-only_scans

This page is seriously out of date.  It suggests they are not yet
implemented, but only being talked about.

Would someone who knows a lot about the subject (which is why I'm
sending this hackers, not web)  like to take a whack at updating this?Otherwise, I'd like to just replace the whole
pagewith a discussion

of the limitations and trade-offs involved in using them as they
currently exist

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: Index only scans wiki page

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On 13 November 2012 01:03, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Index-only_scans
>
> This page is seriously out of date.  It suggests they are not yet
> implemented, but only being talked about.

Attached is a piece I wrote on the feature. That might form the basis
of a new wiki page. Feel free to incorporate this material as you see
fit.

--
Peter Geoghegan       http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: Index only scans wiki page

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Peter Geoghegan <peter@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 13 November 2012 01:03, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Index-only_scans
>>
>> This page is seriously out of date.  It suggests they are not yet
>> implemented, but only being talked about.
>
> Attached is a piece I wrote on the feature. That might form the basis
> of a new wiki page. Feel free to incorporate this material as you see
> fit.

I found this an interesting read.  As one of the people who worked on
the feature, I'm sort of curious whether people have any experience
yet with how this actually shakes out in the field.  Are you (or is
anyone) aware of positive/negative field experiences with this
feature?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
On 13 November 2012 16:37, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> I found this an interesting read.  As one of the people who worked on
> the feature, I'm sort of curious whether people have any experience
> yet with how this actually shakes out in the field.  Are you (or is
> anyone) aware of positive/negative field experiences with this
> feature?

Unfortunately, I don't think that I have any original insight about
the problems with index-only scans in the field right now.

--

Date:

Date:
On 13 November 2012 01:25, Peter Geoghegan <peter@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Attached is a piece I wrote on the feature. That might form the basis
> of a new wiki page.

Since no one else moved on this, I've completely replaced the existing
page with the contents of the user-orientated document I posted. I
don't believe that any of the information that has been removed was of
general interest, since it only existed as a developer-orientated
page. If anyone thinks that I shouldn't have removed everything that
was there, or indeed who would like to change what I've added, well,
it's a wiki.

--
Peter Geoghegan       http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/