pgfoundry references in docs

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Attached are two patches, one of which I'd like to apply. Open for
discussion on which one.

The smaller one, pgfoundry_1.diff, removes the suggestion to apply for
new projects on pgfoundry. The reason for this being that pgfoundry
doesn't *accept* new projects anymore.

The second one removes the reference to pgfoundry completely. As a
step in the deprecation.

I'd prefer to apply the second one, but will settle for the first one
if people object ;)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Attachment

Re: pgfoundry references in docs

From
"David E. Wheeler"
Date:
On Jul 3, 2012, at 9:20 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> The smaller one, pgfoundry_1.diff, removes the suggestion to apply for
> new projects on pgfoundry. The reason for this being that pgfoundry
> doesn't *accept* new projects anymore.

Should you not perhaps recommend that they go somewhere else?

David

Re: pgfoundry references in docs

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On 3 July 2012 20:20, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> The second one removes the reference to pgfoundry completely. As a
> step in the deprecation.
>
> I'd prefer to apply the second one, but will settle for the first one
> if people object ;)

I'd also prefer if you applied the second one.

--
Peter Geoghegan       http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: pgfoundry references in docs

From
Dave Page

On Tuesday, July 3, 2012, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
On 3 July 2012 20:20, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> The second one removes the reference to pgfoundry completely. As a
> step in the deprecation.
>
> I'd prefer to apply the second one, but will settle for the first one
> if people object ;)

I'd also prefer if you applied the second one.

+1

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 10:32 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 3, 2012, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
>>
>> On 3 July 2012 20:20, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> > The second one removes the reference to pgfoundry completely. As a
>> > step in the deprecation.
>> >
>> > I'd prefer to apply the second one, but will settle for the first one
>> > if people object ;)
>>
>> I'd also prefer if you applied the second one.
>

> +1

Since all those who commented preferred that option, I've applied that patch.

Date:
On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 10:01 PM, David E. Wheeler <david@justatheory.com> wrote:
> On Jul 3, 2012, at 9:20 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> The smaller one, pgfoundry_1.diff, removes the suggestion to apply for
>> new projects on pgfoundry. The reason for this being that pgfoundry
>> doesn't *accept* new projects anymore.
>
> Should you not perhaps recommend that they go somewhere else?

Not really. We have nowhere else to recommend, since we don't run a
replacement for it. And we really don't want to get involved in
listing all the different third party sites out there. (For example,
we had a reference to sourceforge.net in the same paragraph. And while
that was certainly "state of the art" when the docs were written, I
don't think anybody sane would recommend that today. The reality keeps
changing on those things, so it really doesn't belong in the docs). We
could put a set of links on the wiki if we want something "more live".

Re: pgfoundry references in docs

From
"Albe Laurenz"
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Attached are two patches, one of which I'd like to apply. Open for
> discussion on which one.
>
> The smaller one, pgfoundry_1.diff, removes the suggestion to apply for
> new projects on pgfoundry. The reason for this being that pgfoundry
> doesn't *accept* new projects anymore.
>
> The second one removes the reference to pgfoundry completely. As a
> step in the deprecation.
>
> I'd prefer to apply the second one, but will settle for the first one
> if people object ;)

Well, I don't object to the documentation change, but I have a problem
with the fact.

Are there any other places that could be recommended for hosting
my pgFoundry projects?
If yes, that should be mentioned in the documentation.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Date:
On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at> wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Attached are two patches, one of which I'd like to apply. Open for
>> discussion on which one.
>>
>> The smaller one, pgfoundry_1.diff, removes the suggestion to apply for
>> new projects on pgfoundry. The reason for this being that pgfoundry
>> doesn't *accept* new projects anymore.
>>
>> The second one removes the reference to pgfoundry completely. As a
>> step in the deprecation.
>>
>> I'd prefer to apply the second one, but will settle for the first one
>> if people object ;)
>
> Well, I don't object to the documentation change, but I have a problem
> with the fact.
>
> Are there any other places that could be recommended for hosting
> my pgFoundry projects?
> If yes, that should be mentioned in the documentation.

Exiting pgfoundry projects are perfectly safe for now - but *new*
projects are not accepted.

There is a project underway (for a *long* time - it keeps getting
stalled) working on migration paths. Until such paths are available
and documented, existing projects will still be safe on pgfoundry.

Date:
On Jul 4, 2012, at 9:15 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Not really. We have nowhere else to recommend, since we don't run a
> replacement for it. And we really don't want to get involved in
> listing all the different third party sites out there. (For example,
> we had a reference to sourceforge.net in the same paragraph. And while
> that was certainly "state of the art" when the docs were written, I
> don't think anybody sane would recommend that today. The reality keeps
> changing on those things, so it really doesn't belong in the docs). We
> could put a set of links on the wiki if we want something "more live".

Ah, then perhaps a link to such a wiki page would suffice. I think that would be a good compromise.

David

Date:
On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 4:21 PM, David E. Wheeler <david@justatheory.com> wrote:
> On Jul 4, 2012, at 9:15 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> Not really. We have nowhere else to recommend, since we don't run a
>> replacement for it. And we really don't want to get involved in
>> listing all the different third party sites out there. (For example,
>> we had a reference to sourceforge.net in the same paragraph. And while
>> that was certainly "state of the art" when the docs were written, I
>> don't think anybody sane would recommend that today. The reality keeps
>> changing on those things, so it really doesn't belong in the docs). We
>> could put a set of links on the wiki if we want something "more live".
>
> Ah, then perhaps a link to such a wiki page would suffice. I think that would be a good compromise.

That can really be said for all of Appendix H in that case...