On 21.03.2012 01:05, Tom Lane wrote:
> Improve the -l (limit) option recently added to contrib/vacuumlo.
>
> Instead of just stopping after removing an arbitrary subset of orphaned
> large objects, commit and start a new transaction after each -l objects.
> This is just as effective as the original patch at limiting the number of
> locks used, and it doesn't require doing the OID collection process
> repeatedly to get everything.  Since the option no longer changes the
> fundamental behavior of vacuumlo, and it avoids a known server-side
> limitation, enable it by default (with a default limit of 1000 LOs per
> transaction).
>
> In passing, be more careful about properly quoting the names of tables
> and fields, and do some other cosmetic cleanup.

Shouldn't this be backported? Without it, vacuumlo is effectively broken
in 9.0 and 9.1.

> On 21.03.2012 01:05, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Improve the -l (limit) option recently added to contrib/vacuumlo.

> Shouldn't this be backported? Without it, vacuumlo is effectively broken
> in 9.0 and 9.1.

I was wondering about that.  You could argue for either "it's a new
feature" or "it's a bug fix".  It's a simple enough change that I see
little risk in it, so the argument against backporting seems weak.

If there are not objections, I'll just copy the current vacuumlo code
in toto into 9.0 and 9.1.
        regards, tom lane