and it's not a bunny rabbit, either

From
Robert Haas
Date:
In reviewing the work Shigeru Hanada has done on SQL/MED, it's come to
my attention that we have a lot of error messages that use the error
code  ERRCODE_WRONG_OBJECT_TYPE and have text like this:

"%s" is not a table
"%s" is not an index

or even better:

"%s" is not a table, view, composite type, or index

which, once we have foreign tables, needs to be changed to read:

"%s" is not a table, view, composite type, index, or foreign table

If we someday add materialized views, it'll need to mention that, too.
In the particular case I'm looking at right now (renameatt_internal),
a more informative error message might be something like
"system-generated attribute names may not be altered", and maybe
that's actually a good way to go in that particular case.  But it
seems somewhat painful to make this work for ATSimplePermissions() and
ATSimplePermissionsRelationOrIndex(); in many cases, there's not much
to say beyond the fact that the particular alter table subcommand
isn't supported by the object type to which the user has attempted to
apply it.  Still, I'm a bit wondering if there's some more generic way
we can phrase the problem.

Could we get away with something as simple as "requested operation is
not supported for <plural-form-of-object-type>"?  In some sense that's
less informative, because it doesn't tell you which object types DO
support the requested operation, but it's not clear that you care
about that.  If you are trying to drop a column from a view, the fact
that it would be possible to drop a column from a table is cold
comfort.  The advantage of this method is that you need only N
translatable strings (one per relkind), rather than 2^N (one per
subset of the universe of relkinds).

A slightly more granular version of this would be to make the caller
pass in a string indicating what the requested operation actually is,
so that you can say something like "<plural-form-of-object-type> do
not support <requested-operation>" or "<requested-operation> is not
supported by <plural-form-of-object-type>" (e.g. "views do not support
SET NOT NULL").  But that breaks our guideline about assembling
translatable strings from small pieces.  Maybe it'd be OK if the piece
is just a fragment of SQL syntax, though - not sure.

Or we can just stick with the way we've been doing it, if I'm the only
one who thinks it's icky.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: and it's not a bunny rabbit, either

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 10:13:35PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> In reviewing the work Shigeru Hanada has done on SQL/MED, it's come to
> my attention that we have a lot of error messages that use the error
> code  ERRCODE_WRONG_OBJECT_TYPE and have text like this:
>
> "%s" is not a table
> "%s" is not an index
>
> or even better:
>
> "%s" is not a table, view, composite type, or index
>
> which, once we have foreign tables, needs to be changed to read:
>
> "%s" is not a table, view, composite type, index, or foreign table
>
> If we someday add materialized views, it'll need to mention that, too.
> In the particular case I'm looking at right now (renameatt_internal),
> a more informative error message might be something like
> "system-generated attribute names may not be altered", and maybe
> that's actually a good way to go in that particular case.  But it
> seems somewhat painful to make this work for ATSimplePermissions() and
> ATSimplePermissionsRelationOrIndex(); in many cases, there's not much
> to say beyond the fact that the particular alter table subcommand
> isn't supported by the object type to which the user has attempted to
> apply it.  Still, I'm a bit wondering if there's some more generic way
> we can phrase the problem.
>
> Could we get away with something as simple as "requested operation is
> not supported for <plural-form-of-object-type>"?

+1 for this.  It's clear, informative, and relevant to the error at
hand.

> In some sense that's
> less informative, because it doesn't tell you which object types DO
> support the requested operation, but it's not clear that you care
> about that.  If you are trying to drop a column from a view, the fact
> that it would be possible to drop a column from a table is cold
> comfort.  The advantage of this method is that you need only N
> translatable strings (one per relkind), rather than 2^N (one per
> subset of the universe of relkinds).
>
> A slightly more granular version of this would be to make the caller
> pass in a string indicating what the requested operation actually is,
> so that you can say something like "<plural-form-of-object-type> do
> not support <requested-operation>" or "<requested-operation> is not
> supported by <plural-form-of-object-type>" (e.g. "views do not support
> SET NOT NULL").  But that breaks our guideline about assembling
> translatable strings from small pieces.  Maybe it'd be OK if the piece
> is just a fragment of SQL syntax, though - not sure.
>
> Or we can just stick with the way we've been doing it, if I'm the only
> one who thinks it's icky.

You're not the only one.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: and it's not a bunny rabbit, either

From
Itagaki Takahiro
Date:
On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 12:13, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could we get away with something as simple as "requested operation is
> not supported for <plural-form-of-object-type>"?

+1. If so, will we have a function to get object names something like
GetPluralFormOfObjectType(Relation rel or char relkind) => char *  ?

> But that breaks our guideline about assembling
> translatable strings from small pieces.  Maybe it'd be OK if the piece
> is just a fragment of SQL syntax, though - not sure.

Agreed. <requested-operation> should be a SQL syntax,
so we won't have to translate the part.

--
Itagaki Takahiro

Re: and it's not a bunny rabbit, either

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Itagaki Takahiro
<itagaki.takahiro@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 12:13, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Could we get away with something as simple as "requested operation is
>> not supported for <plural-form-of-object-type>"?
>
> +1. If so, will we have a function to get object names something like
> GetPluralFormOfObjectType(Relation rel or char relkind) => char *  ?

In the interest of keeping things simple for translators, I was
thinking we'd just write out a string for each object type:

"requested operation is not supported for tables"
"requested operation is not supported for views"
"requested operation is not supported for indexes"

or if we go with the some-assembly required version, perhaps:

"tables do not support %s"
"views do not support %s"
"indexes do not support %s"

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: and it's not a bunny rabbit, either

From
Christophe Pettus
Date:
On Dec 26, 2010, at 7:55 PM, Robert Haas wrote:

> "tables do not support %s"
> "views do not support %s"
> "indexes do not support %s"

The more detail we can give, the better, of course.  Nothing's more frustrating than having a command with an error
like,"Object does not support requested operation."  Thanks, computer program: "Swerved off road, hit tree" is about as
useful.

--
-- Christophe Pettus  xof@thebuild.com

Re: and it's not a bunny rabbit, either

Date:
> or if we go with the some-assembly required version, perhaps:

> "tables do not support %s"
> "views do not support %s"
> "indexes do not support %s"

+1 for that way.  Although personally I'd reverse the phrasing:
/* translator: %s is the name of a SQL command */%s does not support tables
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> or if we go with the some-assembly required version, perhaps:
>
>> "tables do not support %s"
>> "views do not support %s"
>> "indexes do not support %s"
>
> +1 for that way.  Although personally I'd reverse the phrasing:
>
>        /* translator: %s is the name of a SQL command */
>        %s does not support tables

To me, it seems as though it's the object which doesn't support the
operation, rather than the other way around.  Reversing it makes most
sense to me in cases where it's an implementation restriction, such as
"DROP COLUMN does not support views".  But at least to me, the
phrasing "SET WITHOUT CLUSTER does not support views" suggests that
SET WITHOUT CLUSTER is somehow defective, which is not really the
message I think we want to convey there.  But maybe we need some other
votes.

I took a crack at implementing this and the results were mixed - see
attached patch.  It works pretty well for the most part, but there are
a couple of warts.  For ALTER TABLE commands like DROP COLUMN and SET
WITHOUT CLUSTER the results look pretty good, and I find the new error
messages a definite improvement over the old ones.  It's not quite so
good for setting reloptions or attoptions.  You get something like:

ERROR:  views do not support SET (...)
ERROR:  views do not support ALTER COLUMN SET (...)

...which might actually be OK, if not fantastically wonderful.  One
might think of mitigating this problem by writing "ALTER TABLE SET
(...)" rather than just "SET (...)", but that's not easily done
because there are several equivalent forms (for example, a view can be
modified with either ALTER VIEW or ALTER TABLE, for historical - or
perhaps hysterical - reasons).  An even bigger problem is this:

rhaas=# alter view v add primary key (a);
ERROR:  views do not support ADD INDEX

The problem is that alter table actions AT_AddIndex and
AT_AddConstraint don't tie neatly back to a particular piece of
syntax.  The message as written isn't incomprehensible (especially if
you're reading it in English) but it definitely leaves something to be
desired.

Ideas?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment

Date:
On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is that alter table actions AT_AddIndex and
> AT_AddConstraint don't tie neatly back to a particular piece of
> syntax.  The message as written isn't incomprehensible (especially if
> you're reading it in English) but it definitely leaves something to be
> desired.
>
> Ideas?

Here's a somewhat more complete patch implementing this concept, plus
adding additional messages for non-support of constraints, rules, and
triggers.  More could be done in this vein, but this picks a decent
fraction of the low-hanging fruit.

I've had to change some of the heap_open(rv) calls to
relation_open(rv) to avoid having the former throw the wrong error
message before the latter kicks in.  I think there might be stylistic
objections to that, but I'm not sure what else to propose.  I'm
actually pretty suspicious that many of the heap_open(rv) calls I
*didn't* change are either already a little iffy or likely to become
so once the SQL/MED stuff for foreign tables goes in.  They make it
easy to forget that we've got a whole pile of relkinds and you
actually need to really think about which ones you can handle.

For example, on unpatched head:

rhaas=# create view v as select 1 as a;
CREATE VIEW
rhaas=# cluster v;
ERROR:  there is no previously clustered index for table "v"

The error message is demonstrably correct in the sense that, first,
there isn't any table v, only a view v, so surely table v has no
clustered index - or anything else; and second, even if we construe
table "v" to mean view "v", it is certainly right to say it has no
clustered index because it does not - and can not - have any indexes
at all.  But as undeniably true as that error message is, it's a bad
error message.  With the patch:

rhaas=# cluster v;
ERROR:  views do not support CLUSTER

That's more like it.