should I post the patch as committed?

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the review.  Committed with revisions along the lines you suggest.

Bruce suggested to me off-list that when I commit a patch with
revisions, I ought to attach the committed patch to the email in which
I say that I have committed it.  I know that Bruce habitually does
this, but I've never found it very helpful, since I prefer to look at
the patch either using the pgsql-committers emails or the git
respository.  On the other hand, Bruce tells me he's received positive
feedback on the way he does it.

After some off-list discussion, we thought it would be good to ask the
list for feedback on this topic - is it helpful to attach the
patch-as-committed to the -hackers email, or is it just duplicative of
what's already available elsewhere?

...Robert

Re: should I post the patch as committed?

Date:
> Bruce suggested to me off-list that when I commit a patch with
> revisions, I ought to attach the committed patch to the email in which
> I say that I have committed it.  I know that Bruce habitually does
> this, but I've never found it very helpful, since I prefer to look at
> the patch either using the pgsql-committers emails or the git
> respository.

I quite agree --- people who want to read the committed patch are going
to go to the source, not to what somebody claims he committed.
        regards, tom lane

Re: should I post the patch as committed?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 18:30, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Bruce suggested to me off-list that when I commit a patch with
>> revisions, I ought to attach the committed patch to the email in which
>> I say that I have committed it.  I know that Bruce habitually does
>> this, but I've never found it very helpful, since I prefer to look at
>> the patch either using the pgsql-committers emails or the git
>> respository.
>
> I quite agree --- people who want to read the committed patch are going
> to go to the source, not to what somebody claims he committed.

Yeah, +1. I always go to one of the other sources (most of the time,
the gitweb or git server).

It doesn't hurt to attach it if it happens to be around, but I
wouldn't suggest spending any extra effort on it...

Re: should I post the patch as committed?

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 18:30, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> writes:
> >> Bruce suggested to me off-list that when I commit a patch with
> >> revisions, I ought to attach the committed patch to the email in which
> >> I say that I have committed it. ?I know that Bruce habitually does
> >> this, but I've never found it very helpful, since I prefer to look at
> >> the patch either using the pgsql-committers emails or the git
> >> respository.
> >
> > I quite agree --- people who want to read the committed patch are going
> > to go to the source, not to what somebody claims he committed.
>
> Yeah, +1. I always go to one of the other sources (most of the time,
> the gitweb or git server).
>
> It doesn't hurt to attach it if it happens to be around, but I
> wouldn't suggest spending any extra effort on it...

Well, many times I am applying a patch from an author that I have
modified, and I don't expect them to be subscribed to committers, so I
supply the patch as a courtesy so they can see my changes (and fix
them).  :-)

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: should I post the patch as committed?

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
> is it helpful to attach the patch-as-committed to the -hackers
> email, or is it just duplicative of what's already available
> elsewhere?
I'm fine with using git.postgresql.org to see what was committed.
-Kevin

Re: should I post the patch as committed?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Bruce Momjian escribió:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > Yeah, +1. I always go to one of the other sources (most of the time,
> > the gitweb or git server).
> >
> > It doesn't hurt to attach it if it happens to be around, but I
> > wouldn't suggest spending any extra effort on it...
>
> Well, many times I am applying a patch from an author that I have
> modified, and I don't expect them to be subscribed to committers, so I
> supply the patch as a courtesy so they can see my changes (and fix
> them).  :-)

I think committing a patch from a non-regular is a special case and
attaching the modified patch is reasonable in that case.

My 8.8 Richter ...

Re: should I post the patch as committed?

From
Pavan Deolasee
Date:
class="gmail_quote"style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><br
href="http://www.enterprisedb.com">http://www.enterprisedb.com</a><br/>