uuid contrib don't compile in OpenSolaris

From
Emanuel Calvo Franco
Date:
Hi all,

I have some issues to compile uuid contrib of 8.4 version.

Touching something i see that the gmake don't find uuid.h.
(pfexec gmake -d)
Touching more, i add uuid.h into the uuid directory and i had a
error message: missing separator.

So i google a little and i find something:
http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq.programming.html#faq.programming.make-spaces

I read the source and it explain that some issues were fixed into
Debian, but other
platforms didn't tested yet. If this is really, we are using 8.4
final, and it don't
sounds consistent at all.

BTW, somebody patched this ? If not, i will continue my workaround on this and
try to propose something to fix it.

--
             Emanuel Calvo Franco
     www.emanuelcalvofranco.com.ar

--              Emanuel Calvo Franco     www.emanuelcalvofranco.com.ar         ArPug.com.ar / aosug.com.ar

Re: uuid contrib don't compile in OpenSolaris

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Emanuel Calvo Franco escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> I have some issues to compile uuid contrib of 8.4 version.
>
> Touching something i see that the gmake don't find uuid.h.
> (pfexec gmake -d)
> Touching more, i add uuid.h into the uuid directory and i had a
> error message: missing separator.

Did you use gmake the second time?  What was the exact make and compiler
error message?

Date:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have some issues to compile uuid contrib of 8.4 version.
>>
>> Touching something i see that the gmake don't find uuid.h.
>> (pfexec gmake -d)
>> Touching more, i add uuid.h into the uuid directory and i had a
>> error message: missing separator.
>
> Did you use gmake the second time?  What was the exact make and compiler
> error message?

Every time I execute the gmake, the error is the same (uuid.h
not found).

WHen i copy uuid.h in the current dir of uuid contrib, the
error changes to missing separator. As I say, looking in
the web i found that maybe is a bad character (a hidden tab
or something like this).

This occurs only in opensolaris 200906 (i didn't test on previous
versions).

--              Emanuel Calvo Franco     www.emanuelcalvofranco.com.ar         ArPug.com.ar / aosug.com.ar

Re: uuid contrib don't compile in OpenSolaris

From
Zdenek Kotala
Date:
Dne 24.07.09 19:23, Emanuel Calvo Franco napsal(a):
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have some issues to compile uuid contrib of 8.4 version.
>>>
>>> Touching something i see that the gmake don't find uuid.h.
>>> (pfexec gmake -d)
>>> Touching more, i add uuid.h into the uuid directory and i had a
>>> error message: missing separator.
>> Did you use gmake the second time?  What was the exact make and compiler
>> error message?
>>

> Every time I execute the gmake, the error is the same (uuid.h
> not found).
>
> WHen i copy uuid.h in the current dir of uuid contrib, the
> error changes to missing separator. As I say, looking in
> the web i found that maybe is a bad character (a hidden tab
> or something like this).
>
> This occurs only in opensolaris 200906 (i didn't test on previous
> versions).

Hi,

problem is that PostgreSQL uses ossp UUID which is not integrated in
OpenSolaris. Solaris has own uuid implementation which seems to me
similar but not same. Try man uuid_generate or less /usr/uuid/uuid.h

It should be easy to port it but it needs a time :(.
    Zdenek

Date:
> problem is that PostgreSQL uses ossp UUID which is not integrated in
> OpenSolaris. Solaris has own uuid implementation which seems to me similar
> but not same. Try man uuid_generate or less /usr/uuid/uuid.h

That's really interesting. I'll try this.

> It should be easy to port it but it needs a time :(.
>
>                Zdenek

Oh! thanks Zdenek!
I could try a workaround on this, i you guys could
help let me know.

--              Emanuel Calvo Franco            Database consultant at:                   www.siu.edu.ar

Date:
>> problem is that PostgreSQL uses ossp UUID which is not integrated in
>> OpenSolaris. Solaris has own uuid implementation which seems to me similar
>> but not same. Try man uuid_generate or less /usr/uuid/uuid.h
>>

> That's really interesting. I'll try this.
>
>> It should be easy to port it but it needs a time :(.
>>
>>                Zdenek

I found that the same problem cames from 8.3.4
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-10/msg01234.php

But i found too, that seems to be a bug in x86 platforms for uuid_generator.

I tryed to run uuidgen, but throws a lib.so.1 absence. Seems that
the problem comes more dephtly.