Commitfest Code Sprint with PUGs

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Gabrielle of PDXPUG volunteered that PUG to hold a "code sprint" in
coordination with a commitfest sometime soon.  For that event, the
PDXPUG members would take on a dozen or so patches, compile and review
them and submit the results.

The reason I mention this here is that they would need to "reserve"
several patches we felt were suitable for beginners for the event.  This
would require reviewers to hold off on those patches until after the
code sprint to make sure that the PUG would have a good event and
contribute usefully.  For this reason, the PUG event would need to be at
the beginning of the CF.

Obviously PDXPUG won't be ready for July 15th.  But could we plan this
for the Sept. 15th CF?

Also, do any other PUGs want to do this?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Commitfest Code Sprint with PUGs

From
gabrielle
Date:
(cc'ing Webb Sprague because I believe this was actually his
idea...don't want to take credit for it if so. :) )

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Josh Berkus<josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Gabrielle of PDXPUG volunteered that PUG to hold a "code sprint" in
> coordination with a commitfest sometime soon.  For that event, the PDXPUG
> members would take on a dozen or so patches, compile and review them and
> submit the results.

You also mentioned having someone In the Know (tm) available on IRC in
case we have problems - I would like that if it's possible.

> Obviously PDXPUG won't be ready for July 15th.  But could we plan this for
> the Sept. 15th CF?

I poked around the wiki but am unclear on the timeline - would we have
to be finished by Sept 15 or start on Sept 15?

> Also, do any other PUGs want to do this?

I'll add whatever we learn to the wiki in the interest of encouraging others.

gabrielle

Re: Commitfest Code Sprint with PUGs

From
Webb Sprague
Date:
So if the general commitfest begins on Sept 1, I recommend that we
hold our  sprint the weekend following (saturday 5, say 10am to 4pm
Pacific Standard?).   Thoughts?

If we set a date, then people can converge on it.

Pardon me if I am replying without enough context -- I have enough
compelling time sinks in my life without the various PostgreSQL lists
these days.

Gabrielle -- have you started a wiki page/ topic somewhere?

Re: Commitfest Code Sprint with PUGs

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Webb, Selena, Gabrielle,

September 15th is coming up soon.  Will PDXPUG be interested in doing a
CommitFest Sprint?  When can you do it?

Let me know, because we'll want to have the sprinters claim patches early.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
www.pgexperts.com

Re: Commitfest Code Sprint with PUGs

From
Webb Sprague
Date:
Hi Josh et al,

I believe we are all still interested (Selena? Gabrielle?)

How about this: 6:00 Tuesday evening (Pacific), the three of us (and
anybody else) agree to be around a table with laptops on, cellphones
ready, listening at an IRC channel. Could you assign us good patches
before then (like 10)?  And then we commit, commit, commit.

I think we should think of this as a dry run where we iron out the
details, and then maybe the following saturday do it again on a larger
scale?

-W
On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Josh Berkus<josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Webb, Selena, Gabrielle,
>
> September 15th is coming up soon.  Will PDXPUG be interested in doing a
> CommitFest Sprint?  When can you do it?
>
> Let me know, because we'll want to have the sprinters claim patches early.
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
> www.pgexperts.com

Re: Commitfest Code Sprint with PUGs

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Webb Sprague<webb.sprague@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Josh et al,
>
> I believe we are all still interested (Selena? Gabrielle?)
>
> How about this: 6:00 Tuesday evening (Pacific), the three of us (and
> anybody else) agree to be around a table with laptops on, cellphones
> ready, listening at an IRC channel. Could you assign us good patches
> before then (like 10)?  And then we commit, commit, commit.
>
> I think we should think of this as a dry run where we iron out the
> details, and then maybe the following saturday do it again on a larger
> scale?

The CommitFest is scheduled to start 9/15, so doing this on 9/8 might
be a bit too soon.  I wouldn't object to doing it a few days before
the start of the CommitFest to flush out any patches with obvious
problems, but I think a week ahead of time is too much.

Also, I don't think anything is going to committed as a result of this
- the goal is to post reviewers to pgsql-hackers.

...Robert

Date:
> The CommitFest is scheduled to start 9/15, so doing this on 9/8 might
> be a bit too soon.  I wouldn't object to doing it a few days before
> the start of the CommitFest to flush out any patches with obvious
> problems, but I think a week ahead of time is too much.

Yeah, I meant Tues 9/15.

> Also, I don't think anything is going to committed as a result of this
> - the goal is to post reviewers to pgsql-hackers.

Sounds good.

> ...Robert

Re: Commitfest Code Sprint with PUGs

From
Selena Deckelmann
Date:
On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Webb Sprague<webb.sprague@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The CommitFest is scheduled to start 9/15, so doing this on 9/8 might
>> be a bit too soon.  I wouldn't object to doing it a few days before
>> the start of the CommitFest to flush out any patches with obvious
>> problems, but I think a week ahead of time is too much.
>
> Yeah, I meant Tues 9/15.
>
>> Also, I don't think anything is going to committed as a result of this
>> - the goal is to post reviewers to pgsql-hackers.
>
> Sounds good.

+1

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me
http://endpoint.com - work

Date:
On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Robert Haas<robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Webb Sprague<webb.sprague@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Josh et al,
>>
>> I believe we are all still interested (Selena? Gabrielle?)

Heck yes!

>> How about this: 6:00 Tuesday evening (Pacific), the three of us (and
>> anybody else) agree to be around a table with laptops on, cellphones
>> ready, listening at an IRC channel. Could you assign us good patches
>> before then (like 10)?  And then we commit, commit, commit.

Sounds good, already have at least someone else from #pdxpug interested too. :)
Just need to pick a location.  Anybody have a quiet house?

>> I think we should think of this as a dry run where we iron out the
>> details, and then maybe the following saturday do it again on a larger
>> scale?

Practice run was my expectation as well.  Making both dates might be
problematic for some people (:ahem: me) but we should have enough
attendee overlap to deal with that.

gabrielle

Re: Commitfest Code Sprint with PUGs

From
Webb Sprague
>>> How about this: 6:00 Tuesday evening (Pacific), the three of us (and
>>> anybody else) agree to be around a table with laptops on, cellphones
>>> ready, listening at an IRC channel. Could you assign us good patches
>>> before then (like 10)?  And then we commit, commit, commit.
>
> Sounds good, already have at least someone else from #pdxpug interested too. :)
> Just need to pick a location.  Anybody have a quiet house?

I can probably finagle a room here at PSU, though I would love it if
someone would volunteer a house.

>>> I think we should think of this as a dry run where we iron out the
>>> details, and then maybe the following saturday do it again on a larger
>>> scale?
>
> Practice run was my expectation as well.  Making both dates might be
> problematic for some people (:ahem: me) but we should have enough
> attendee overlap to deal with that.

OK, let's play followups by ear, but consider Tues Sept 15 as the date?

Date:
On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Gabrielle of PDXPUG volunteered that PUG to hold a "code sprint" in
> coordination with a commitfest sometime soon.  For that event, the PDXPUG
> members would take on a dozen or so patches, compile and review them and
> submit the results.

All systems are go!

Date: Sept 15
Time: 6pm - 9pm PDT, which is GMT -7.

We have 6 attendees.  Robert Haas is going to choose 4 patches for us.Can somebody volunteer to hang out on IRC in case
wehave questions?

Thanks!

gabrielle

Re: Commitfest Code Sprint with PUGs