ecpg grammar in CVS is annoying

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Hi,

Is it only me, or having the generated ecpg grammar is a bit obnoxious?
I am getting troubled because whenever I touch gram.y it gets updated
when I run make, and then it shows in "cvs diff".

I'm not sure what's the solution -- maybe something is missing in a
.cvsignore file somewhere?

Oh, another thing -- ecpg has a dependency on libpq, but it is not
declared in Makefiles, so if you build ecpg without first building
libpq, it errors out.

--
Alvaro Herrera       Valdivia, Chile   ICBM: S 39º 49' 18.1", W 73º 13' 56.4"
"Siempre hay que alimentar a los dioses, aunque la tierra esté seca" (Orual)

Re: ecpg grammar in CVS is annoying

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it only me, or having the generated ecpg grammar is a bit obnoxious?
> I am getting troubled because whenever I touch gram.y it gets updated
> when I run make, and then it shows in "cvs diff".

Hmm, and then weird things happen anyway; I just built it and it errors
out with:

gcc -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing
-fwrapv-g -pthread  -D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS -DECPG_COMPILE -I../include
-I/pgsql/source/00orig/src/interfaces/ecpg/include-I/pgsql/source/00orig/src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc -DMAJOR_VERSION=4
-DMINOR_VERSION=5-DPATCHLEVEL=0 -I../../../../src/include -I/pgsql/source/00orig/src/include -D_GNU_SOURCE
-I/usr/include/libxml2  -c -o preproc.o /pgsql/source/00orig/src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/preproc.c -MMD -MP -MF
.deps/preproc.Po
In file included from /pgsql/source/00orig/src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/preproc.y:7128:
/pgsql/source/00orig/src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/pgc.l: In function ‘base_yylex’:
/pgsql/source/00orig/src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/pgc.l:484: error: ‘UCONST’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/pgsql/source/00orig/src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/pgc.l:484: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/pgsql/source/00orig/src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/pgc.l:484: error: for each function it appears in.)
/pgsql/source/00orig/src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/pgc.l:573: error: ‘UIDENT’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make[1]: *** [preproc.o] Error 1
make[1]: se sale del directorio `/home/alvherre/Code/CVS/pgsql/build/00orig/src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc'
make: *** [all] Error 2

This is on a clean checkout, so I'm not sure what's going on ...

--
Alvaro Herrera       Valdivia, Chile   ICBM: S 39º 49' 18.1", W 73º 13' 56.4"
"Para tener más hay que desear menos"

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Oh, another thing -- ecpg has a dependency on libpq, but it is not
> declared in Makefiles, so if you build ecpg without first building
> libpq, it errors out.

This seems to fix the problem, but I'd prefer a rule that declared the
dependency without recursing ... is there a way to do that?

--
Alvaro Herrera                         http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvherre/
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values

Attachment

Re: ecpg grammar in CVS is annoying

Date:
> Is it only me, or having the generated ecpg grammar is a bit obnoxious?
> I am getting troubled because whenever I touch gram.y it gets updated
> when I run make, and then it shows in "cvs diff".

Huh?  preproc.y was "cvs remove"d two months ago.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Is it only me, or having the generated ecpg grammar is a bit obnoxious?
> > I am getting troubled because whenever I touch gram.y it gets updated
> > when I run make, and then it shows in "cvs diff".
>
> Huh?  preproc.y was "cvs remove"d two months ago.

Doh!  I was missing --delete to rsync (again -- I fixed it on my
workstation months ago and had forgotten the laptop ...)

Thanks.

--
Alvaro Herrera       Valdivia, Chile   ICBM: S 39º 49' 18.1", W 73º 13' 56.4"
"This is a foot just waiting to be shot"                (Andrew Dunstan)

Re: ecpg grammar in CVS is annoying

Date:
I can confirm your error report, so have applied your patch.  Thanks.

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > Oh, another thing -- ecpg has a dependency on libpq, but it is not
> > declared in Makefiles, so if you build ecpg without first building
> > libpq, it errors out.
>
> This seems to fix the problem, but I'd prefer a rule that declared the
> dependency without recursing ... is there a way to do that?
>
> --
> Alvaro Herrera                         http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvherre/
> "The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values
> or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence.
> Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
> (Samuel P. Huntington)

[ Attachment, skipping... ]