quotas once again

From
"Gevik Babakhani"
Date:
Sometime ago there was a discussion about user/database quota and
IIRC there was also some patch for this (probably got rejected).

Does anyone know to which direction we went for having quotas?

Regards,
Gevik
Gevik Babakhani

PostgreSQL NL       http://www.postgresql.nl
TrueSoftware BV     http://www.truesoftware.nl

Re: quotas once again

From
"Pavel Stehule"
Date:
Hello

this patch was commited

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2007-11/msg00530.php

Regards
Pavel Stehule

Date:
Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hello
>
> this patch was commited
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2007-11/msg00530.php

Uh, he was asking about "quotas", not "quotes".  No, we don't have user
quotas yet.

> Regards
> Pavel Stehule
>
> On 28/11/2007, Gevik Babakhani <pgdev@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > Sometime ago there was a discussion about user/database quota and
> > IIRC there was also some patch for this (probably got rejected).
> >
> > Does anyone know to which direction we went for having quotas?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Gevik
> > Gevik Babakhani
> >
> > PostgreSQL NL       http://www.postgresql.nl
> > TrueSoftware BV     http://www.truesoftware.nl

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: quotas once again

From
"Pavel Stehule"
Date:
On 28/11/2007, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > this patch was commited
> >
> > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2007-11/msg00530.php
>
> Uh, he was asking about "quotas", not "quotes".  No, we don't have user
> quotas yet.

I am blind. I am sorry. Its too late

Pavel

> > Regards
> > Pavel Stehule
> >
> > On 28/11/2007, Gevik Babakhani <pgdev@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > > Sometime ago there was a discussion about user/database quota and
> > > IIRC there was also some patch for this (probably got rejected).
> > >
> > > Does anyone know to which direction we went for having quotas?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Gevik
> > > Gevik Babakhani
> > >
> > > PostgreSQL NL       http://www.postgresql.nl
> > > TrueSoftware BV     http://www.truesoftware.nl

> >                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
>
> --
>   Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
>   EnterpriseDB                             http://postgres.enterprisedb.com
>
>   + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

Re: quotas once again

From
"Gevik Babakhani"
Date:
> Uh, he was asking about "quotas", not "quotes".  No, we don't
> have user quotas yet.

Thank you.

I read we have a "Allow per-tablespace quotas". But the more I think about
this
the more complex it gets. I guess implementing a user quota is a very
different story
than quotas per-tablespace.

Gevik Babakhani

PostgreSQL NL       http://www.postgresql.nl
TrueSoftware BV     http://www.truesoftware.nl

> > Regards
> > Pavel Stehule
> >
> > On 28/11/2007, Gevik Babakhani <pgdev@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > > Sometime ago there was a discussion about user/database quota and
> > > IIRC there was also some patch for this (probably got rejected).
> > >
> > > Does anyone know to which direction we went for having quotas?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Gevik
> > > Gevik Babakhani
> > >
> > > PostgreSQL NL       http://www.postgresql.nl
> > > TrueSoftware BV     http://www.truesoftware.nl

> > ---------------------------(end of
> >
> >                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
>
> --
>   Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
>   EnterpriseDB
> http://postgres.enterprisedb.com
>
>   + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

Re: quotas once again

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On Nov 28, 2007 3:21 PM, Gevik Babakhani <pgdev@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Sometime ago there was a discussion about user/database quota and
> IIRC there was also some patch for this (probably got rejected).
>
> Does anyone know to which direction we went for having quotas?

I had written a patch for user quotas back in 2004.  While the patch
is probably long gone, if you're interested, I'd be willing to assist
in its development.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation                | fax: 732.331.1301

Re: quotas once again

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Jonah H. Harris escribió:
> On Nov 28, 2007 3:21 PM, Gevik Babakhani <pgdev@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > Sometime ago there was a discussion about user/database quota and
> > IIRC there was also some patch for this (probably got rejected).
> >
> > Does anyone know to which direction we went for having quotas?
>
> I had written a patch for user quotas back in 2004.  While the patch
> is probably long gone, if you're interested, I'd be willing to assist
> in its development.

Did you publish it in pgsql-patches?  If so, it can be fished from
there.

--
Alvaro Herrera                 http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/DXLWNGRJD34J
"You're _really_ hosed if the person doing the hiring doesn't understand

Re: quotas once again

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On Nov 28, 2007 8:09 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> Did you publish it in pgsql-patches?  If so, it can be fished from
> there.

Unfortunately, no.  IIRC, I believe the topic moved to being
non-user-based quotas and more tablespace-oriented.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation                | fax: 732.331.1301
499 Thornall Street, 2nd Floor          | jonah.harris@enterprisedb.com
Edison, NJ 08837                        | http://www.enterprisedb.com/

Re: quotas once again

From
"Gevik Babakhani"
Date:
After reading the thread of 2004 regarding user quotas, I understand
why the discussion moved towards having a tablespace quota as a
solution.

My reason to start this discussion was due the need of controlling
database size. Having tablespace quotas could allow one to create a
database in a given tablespace and then limit the size of the tablespace.

Gevik Babakhani

PostgreSQL NL       http://www.postgresql.nl
TrueSoftware BV     http://www.truesoftware.nl

Re: quotas once again

From
Zdenek Kotala
Date:
Gevik Babakhani wrote:
> After reading the thread of 2004 regarding user quotas, I understand
> why the discussion moved towards having a tablespace quota as a
> solution.
>
> My reason to start this discussion was due the need of controlling
> database size. Having tablespace quotas could allow one to create a
> database in a given tablespace and then limit the size of the tablespace.

You can control tablespace size by filesystem quotas. When you put each
tablespace on separate FS. Hovewer, disadvantage is that you need admin
access to the machine and it is not controlled by postgres.  ZFS works
fine in this case, because you can delegate volume/filesystem
administration to the any user and FS creation is very easy.
    Zdenek